• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Connect desktop to laptop wirelessly?

System Name Gen0cide
Processor AMD Phenom x4 920 2.8 @ 3.36 1.44v
Motherboard Asus M2N-Deluxe + WiFi
Cooling Thermoright True Rev C
Memory 2x 2gig of Gskill DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-15 20 2.125v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 250 GTS 1 Gig
Storage 5x 730gig 7,200 RPM Raid 5 Western Digital Black
Display(s) Neovo F-417
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM
Software Windows 7 x64 / Arch Linux-fluxbox(duel Boot)
\\"PC NAME\"Drive"$

ex \\mycomputer\c$

when it ask you to log in use the user name on the other pc like mycomputer\user

System Name Hector v1.0
Processor Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz @ 4.209GHz
Motherboard Rampage II Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 Vanilla under an Arctic Cooling Xtreme Plus
Storage 2x 1TB Samsung 7200 RPM RAID0 + 2x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID0
Display(s) Acer GD245HQ
Case HAF932
Audio Device(s) Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Real Power M Active PSU
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P6115 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/525931

John Phoenix

Trigger911 - that confuses me. i am now sitting at the win xp i wish to connect to this network. things I have read say that i have to set every computer to a workgroup like this web page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...mputers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

But I dont want to mess with the names of the homegroups I already have set up. On both my desktop and laptop (both win 7) they are set up as HOME Loactions.

Do they mean to tell me if i want to connect an xp to this network i cannot use Home locations? If i dont use Home locations.. The network wont work! On win 7, both computers told me I had to set the type of connection to Home Location before they could connect. So confused.

John Phoenix

Er... wait.. i didnt have the laptop turned on.. i turned it on and now in My Network Places i can see my laptop hard drive.. i didnt do anything to make this show up.. it just is.

The XP is set to workgroup. On the laptop i tried to right click C drive and set the sharing properties but My XP didnt have a computer name. I am trying to create a computer name, then reboot and perhaps they will see each other and play nice. Either that.. or it's time to get the shotgun out of the closet.

I think i see that you meant in your post above Trigger911.. its the network name that is needed under advanced sharing.

John Phoenix

O.k... i need to set the password on my XP so the laptop can access the files.. where do i do that in XP?.. so far I haven't done anything o the xp machine an it seems like it is seeing the laptop and vica versa. O.k. i will quit posting now and wait till someone comes up with something brilliant.

btw.. the other desktop is out of the equasion.. i cannot run both desktops at the same time so this connection will just be shared between the xp and the win 7 laptop.. if it makes any difference.