• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Connecting Laptop to the Internet, No connection

akhlaq768

Trying to connect to the Internet using my Laptop. (not via the wireless router, but through the Ethernet cable)

My existing PC is connected to the Internet via an Ethernet cable, which is connected to the Broadband Modem (Virgin).

What I have tried to do, is take the Ethernet cable from my PC and connect it to the Laptop... Unfortunately, the Laptop isnt connecting to the Internet...

I have tried repairing the Network, with no success.

I am using the same cable, which was connected to the PC...

I do get error messages, when I click on repair in the Network Connection Tab. Its says it cannot assign an IP address.

I am Using Windows XP Home Edition.

I've tried using the Ping via cmd ping localhost or 127.0.0.1

I get the following results -

Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0(0%0)

Also done the following -

1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
3. Click the Connections tab.
4. Under Dial-up and VPN Settings, click the broadband connection, click Settings, and then click Automatically detect settings.
5. Click OK.

..... with no luck

What do I do guys?

Could be that your router is in bridge mode instead of router mode, that way it most likely supports only 1 client.

Pinging yourself always works, if not you have a serious issue. I assume your router gives you an IP via DHCP? If so check if you're getting an IP on your laptop.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Make sure that the laptop is set to get IP and DNS automatically and that it does not have a different static IP/DNS (that is, if your modem is acting as a DHCP server).

akhlaq768

Could be that your router is in bridge mode instead of router mode, that way it most likely supports only 1 client.

Pinging yourself always works, if not you have a serious issue. I assume your router gives you an IP via DHCP? If so check if you're getting an IP on your laptop.

I'm not using a router... just a normal broadband modem....

How do I check if im getting an IP on my laptop..

Many thanks

akhlaq768

Make sure that the laptop is set to get IP and DNS automatically and that it does not have a different static IP/DNS (that is, if your modem is acting as a DHCP server).

It is set to get IP and DNS automatically

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Go to start, run... and type cmd, then press enter. That opens up a command window. Type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and it should list all the enabled network interfaces and there stats, including the IP address.

akhlaq768

Go to start, run... and type cmd, then press enter. That opens up a command window. Type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and it should list all the enabled network interfaces and there stats, including the IP address.

just done that... this is what I get

Host Name: Akhlaq
Primary DNS suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connections

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
DHCP Enabled: YES
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Your not getting info from the modem, or there is something wrong with the laptop's LAN card.

Check the computer that works for settings and configure the laptop to be identical and see if it works. That should tell you if the laptop is malfunctioning.

akhlaq768

Your not getting info from the modem, or there is something wrong with the laptop's LAN card.

Check the computer that works for settings and configure the laptop to be identical and see if it works. That should tell you if the laptop is malfunctioning.

I thought of that the other day... enter the same detail into the laptop... but no luck mate...

this laptop was connected to the internet via the wireless router... but the router died on me.. now im using the cable...

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Is the card disabled in Network Connections?

I'm not using a router... just a normal broadband modem....

How do I check if im getting an IP on my laptop..

Many thanks

You are using a router, your home network is connected to your ISP's via a router, which doubles as modem.
Though the name of the device isn't really relevant. Open the command prompt and type ipconfig, you should get some number in the 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x range. if you get 169.something you didn't get an IP.