• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Constant "EDP Other" under RING in ThrottleStop

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
thank you man
You are welcome. :toast:

You must have done a good job with the re-paste because your temps look good. Turn on Nvidia GPU in the Options window so ThrottleStop can add your Nvidia GPU temps and speed to the log file.

Kokkinos

Hi again @unclewebb . :)

I have done all the changes you suggested to me.

Started to undervolt with cache -125mv the core and OMG its steady at -250mv :rockout:. (tested with prime95,and cinebench many times). Havent tried to go further than -125 but i will in the future.

With the changes you suggest as you can see at the pictures i still have epd other and PL1(core) .
At the log the last minutes you can see the info of cinebench . The other minutes is while gaming.

Any more for EPD other and PL1 ? ( i know or i think it really doesn't affect my CPU speed in fact gaming now is more stable than before )

Thanks in advanced.

edit: While stressing with prime95 i have power limit 1 (red) and epd other (red) throwing down my cpu to 3.52 Ghz while temp is max 83 as you can see at the picture 55 :confused:

Vangelis

Attachments

• 2020-12-10.txt
    230.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 44.JPG
    44.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 55.JPG
    55.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

unclewebb

@Kokkinos - Most people will have reported their best temperatures and Cinebench results with the core set to somewhere between -200 mV and -250 mV. When you go beyond -250 mV, the CPU will ignore any excess. Only increase this beyond -200 mV if you can prove that you are getting better results.

For PL1 throttling try increasing your long term turbo power limit. Setting this to 50W would help. I would set it to 60W. Your temperatures are fine.

Try setting the PP0 Current Limit to a nice big number like 256 and set the IccMax to 255.75. Some CPUs are super sensitive and seem to trigger the occasional EDP flash. If these limits are set sky high then there is nothing you can do about it. Your CPU is running good so this is more of a nuisance.

Kokkinos

Greetings @unclewebb

@Kokkinos - Most people will have reported their best temperatures and Cinebench results with the core set to somewhere between -200 mV and -250 mV. When you go beyond -250 mV, the CPU will ignore any excess. Only increase this beyond -200 mV if you can prove that you are getting better results.

I didnt knew that so thanks again for the knowledge.

I will make the last changes and i will keep my cpu optimized thanks to you. :respect:

Vangelis.

2047 score, Max temp 79 C with only yellow edp other under ring with the last changes you suggested @unclewebb :rockout: :) tried a lot of undervolt from -200 to -250 mv and cache from -120 to -125. at -250 mv core and -125 cache has the best score and temperature.

Before your help it was like 91 temp(max) at gaming and had a lot of fps up and down. Now its steady and cool . Cheers my friend.

Attachments

• 61.JPG
    61.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 114

unclewebb

Here is a list on HWBot of the top performing 8300H CPUs.
Congrats on being in silver medal territory. :toast:

1607706368102.png

Thanks for sharing your results. It is always fun helping users get the most out of their laptops.

unclewebb

I have a problem I guess
I see a lot of POWER STATUS CHANGE notices, approximately ever 5 seconds, towards the end of your log file, . Are you using any software on your computer that is preventing your battery from being fully charged? This kind of software may give your battery a slightly longer life but it can interfere with smooth game play. I would rather have a fully charged battery that needs to be replaced every 5 years or whatever so I never use any software like that.

Before that started to happen, your CPU was running great.

Gutox

Hi everyone!

I changed the settings that were proposed here, but still got PL1 and EDP Other.

Logs

Attachments

• obraz_2021-01-03_173206.png
    obraz_2021-01-03_173206.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 151
  • obraz_2021-01-03_173228.png
    obraz_2021-01-03_173228.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 160
  • obraz_2021-01-03_173244.png
    obraz_2021-01-03_173244.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 159
Your PL1 is clamped at 25W, so it's doing what it's told to do. Remove the clamp and increase the value if you want to avoid this limit.

unclewebb

@Gutox - I could not access your log files. I usually use www.pastebin.com to copy and paste log file data to.

If you are getting PL1 throttling at 15W then that means the manufacturer has set a hard 15W limit. You will not be able to solve this problem by using ThrottleStop.

unclewebb

Your log files show PL1, long term power limit throttling right at 15.0 Watts. Many laptop manufacturers do this. The 8250U has a 15W TDP rating so some manufacturers have decided that is more than enough. The low power 8th Gen U series will turn into a different kind of animal when the power limits are left unlocked. Here is a Lenovo C930 running fully loaded at full speed. The only throttling happens when it gets too hot.

b0ston

Hello.Can u help me please! Im sorry for my bad english I have Asus ROG i5-9300h Gtx 1660ti
Undervolted both CPU core and cache to -100 (Max 110 after this blue screen) but i still have 90-97 deg Celsius (Turbo mode ON) in games
sometimes i have EDP OTHER and PL1 RED
1.png
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:

unclewebb

Can u help me please!
Your Asus laptop runs HOT!! This is normal for Asus gaming laptops There is nothing I can do to fix their bad design.

Have you cleaned your laptop inside and replaced the thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU? That might help a little bit. When your laptop was new did it run hot? Did you use ThrottleStop to increase the Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 80?

If you want your CPU to run cooler, you can use ThrottleStop to slow it down. You can lower your turbo power limits to 45W or 40W. Your CPU will run slower but cooler if you lower these power limits.

1610994841279.png

I disagree on this one ;) Asus' laptops suffer from bad paste factory applied, but once replaced, they usually outperform other brands. Their cooling is pretty good and well designed. I've got two at home and 10 more in the office (all of them different models). Used to be a huge Toshiba fan, but they died with the financial scandal.

b0ston

Your Asus laptop runs HOT!! This is normal for Asus gaming laptops There is nothing I can do to fix their bad design.

Have you cleaned your laptop inside and replaced the thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU? That might help a little bit. When your laptop was new did it run hot? Did you use ThrottleStop to increase the Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 80?

If you want your CPU to run cooler, you can use ThrottleStop to slow it down. You can lower your turbo power limits to 45W or 40W. Your CPU will run slower but cooler if you lower these power limits.

View attachment 184545
Thanks for responding
i didnt touch anything it was default 45 and 80
Yes i did clean and replace thermal paste but i think got even worse :( before changing it was 85-94 now its stable 88-96 I think it was bad thermal paste! Wanna change it on arctic cooling mx-4 what do u think?
When it was new temperature was like 78 max 90 deg Celsius not in Turbomode i think
You can lower your turbo power limits to 45W or 40W. Your CPU will run slower but cooler if you lower these power limits.
I will try

I read your recommendation and will do this
All I can recommend is taking your laptop apart again and having a really good look at the heatsink. Check to make sure that you did not accidentally strip a screw or something like that. Clean everything up and put the heatsink in position and see if it sits square or if it rocks on the CPU.
Sorry for bad english :)
Yesterday i did even buy cooling stand DeepCool WIND PAL FS temps go down only for 2-4 deg Celcius

Last edited:

b0ston

Hello everyone.I changed thermal paste to new Artic cooling mx-4 and its gets better now i have 72-83 deg celsius in games! Thanks for help.

unclewebb

@b0ston - Keep an eye on your temps. Some popular thermal pastes have great initial results but do not work well long term in laptops. Do everyone a favor and update this thread a week or two from now with your temps.

sguniverse

Hello @unclewebb and thanks for your software.
I was wondering if it's normal to get a yellow EDP OTHER when i resume from sleep. I use several benchs and i never get this alert nonetheless.
Here is a benchmark with my temp on a Dell G7 7790 with I7-9750H.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran (59).png
    Capture d’écran (59).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Hello @unclewebb and thanks for your software.
I was wondering if it's normal to get a yellow EDP OTHER when i resume from sleep. I use several benchs and i never get this alert nonetheless.
Here is a benchmark with my temp on a Dell G7 7790 with I7-9750H.
It always happens to me too. Just ignore it.

b0ston

Well after 2 or 3 weeks thermal situation same but with out undervolting its almost 90 deg Celsius

aa1996s

Yes brother . Ok, could you tell me some configuration in throttlestop to see what this would be for its best performance, it is that I do not know how to configure trotthle estop, in a video that I saw it says activate speedshift and in 0, and I must have to disable speedstep and C1E

, thanx