• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooler Master Masterbox TD500 Mesh

Darksaber

W1zzard's Sidekick
Staff member
The Cooler Master Masterbox TD500 Mesh checks off all the right boxes for an appealing mass-market choice. With its sub-$100 price tag, three fans, RGB, and clean looks, it goes down the path of "trusted and true", and it actually ends up being quite the confident stride for good reason.

Show full review

System Name gaming
Processor Intel i7-9700k @ 4.9ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 3
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G
Storage Crucial MX500, Crucial P1 NVMe, ScanDisk Ultra 3D
Display(s) Dell - SE2717HR 27" IPS LED FHD FreeSync Monitor
Case Phanteks P400A w/ Noctua fans
Audio Device(s) Klipsch pro-media 2.1 speakers
Power Supply Seasonioc Focus Plus 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G15 original
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores i can finally play crysis
Loud CM case fans, what a surprise...

System Name My PC
Processor AMD 2700 x @ 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-214 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE
Storage Adata Ultimate SU800
What is the P/N of the fans? Are they PWM?

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 C19 Viper
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128 (OS)/850 PRO 256+256+ 512,860 EVO 500,XPG SX950U 480,M9Pe(Y) 512 (games)/4TB HDDs (3+1)
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
ugly and loud
I'd take 500dx for sure

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill DDR4-3600 Trident Z CL 16
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage Crucial P1 500GB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 IPS 165Hz G-Sync
Case Lian-Li PC-A10B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Zowie EC1-A
Keyboard G.Skill KM780 MX (MX brown)
I would prefer the frontal fans to be mounted exclusively on the inside of the chassis and therefore not having such a bulky plastic frontal panel that basically screams "cheap". Which then would allow to ditch the plastic front panel altogether and have a much sleeker and robust looking steel meshed front. Just like the top side of the case. I really like that top side, plenty of mesh space for airflow and mounting options for fans.

Besides that, not providing full number of grommet+pins for all the bays the case has... that's silly (silly cheap decision that is). As for the fan noise, seems typical of these cases/fans... ditch the RGB bling-bling and fill it with proper Noctua fans and problem solved (will cost you, but you'll have a bunch of fans for life).

System Name PowerEdge R730 DRS Cluster
Processor 4x Xeon E5-2698 v3
Cooling Many heckin screamy bois
Memory 480GB ECC DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) Matrox G200eR2
Storage SD Card. Yep, really no other local storage.
Display(s) It's probably a couple of boring Dell Ultrasharps and a sacrificial laptop.
Case 39U 6-rack server room with HEVC and 44KVA UPS
Mouse Maybe
Keyboard Yes!
Software ESXi 6.5 U3
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Hideous, but at least it's mesh and not tempered glass.

I don't know why Taiwanese case manufacturers insist on sticking a mismatched piece of questionable plastic 'art' on the front of every case. It just adds cost, takes up space, and hinders airflow.

The front of a case needs to do one thing, and one thing only - let in air. Hide the fans behind some painted mesh or vented flat fascia if you must but please don't create a completely pointless volume of cheap, low-grade brittle plastic that poorly mimicks a jet engine nozzle, or Optimus Prime's nutsack, or a Tron lightcycle.

That stupid garish plastic rubbish costs money and looks bad. Can we please get cheaper cases that don't look bad by simply not including that junk in the first place? Nobody is asking for it. Nobody appreciates the wasted space, larger shipping boxes, or low-grade plastic. Just stop already!

I'm aware that my opinion may not reflect everyone's opinion but outside of NZXT and a few tiny startups, almost every manufacturer is pursuing form over function and that disheartens me. I'm an engineer and I find beauty in good design, not fashion gimmicks that will look dated in 2 years.

Come on it's not that bad in terms of aesthetics. Although I admit, having tasted NZXT's minimalist design aesthetics and now BeQuiets 500DX... the TD500 is more of a distant memory by todays standards (IMO). What I don't like is "the plastic feel".

System Name PowerEdge R730 DRS Cluster
Processor 4x Xeon E5-2698 v3
Cooling Many heckin screamy bois
Memory 480GB ECC DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) Matrox G200eR2
Storage SD Card. Yep, really no other local storage.
Display(s) It's probably a couple of boring Dell Ultrasharps and a sacrificial laptop.
Case 39U 6-rack server room with HEVC and 44KVA UPS
Mouse Maybe
Keyboard Yes!
Software ESXi 6.5 U3
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Come on it's not that bad in terms of aesthetics. Although I admit, having tasted NZXT's minimalist design aesthetics and now BeQuiets 500DX... the TD500 is more of a distant memory by todays standards (IMO). What I don't like is "the plastic feel".
There you go. The thing you don't like about this otherwise perfectly decent case is the ugly and cheap-feeling plastic crap they bolted to the front - and it looks dated already, that's what I assume you mean by "distant memory by todays standards"

I'm sure the rest of the case is fine. I'm just having a whine that so many Taiwanese OEMs ruin perfectly decent cases with dated/ugly bolt-on plastic of questionably quality and hinderance to function.