1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooler or Quieter.. ???

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by trog100, Jan 17, 2006.

1. trog100

Thanks Received:
    if u could get your cpu temps down to 45c under load with fans flat out and lots of noise..

or u could get your cpu temps down to 50c with fans going slow and little noise..

which would u choose.. cooler or quieter..

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    Low noise... What CPU do you have? Because 50C isn't that bad for most CPUs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. poo417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both

Have the best both worlds and get a nice big cooler with a nice big slow quiet fan that can push alot of air or some of the wet stuff.:toast:

Poo

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. trog100

Thanks Received:
    the question is more of poll really.. i know which i choose.. i picked an acceptable 50c useing 60c would probably produce totally different answers.. he he..

i could put it a different way..

at idle would u sooner have your CPU temps at 38c in near total silence..

or 30c with lots of fan noise...

reading thru this forum.. maximum coolness seems the order of the day... the amount of noise produced while achieving this dosnt get much of mention..

a similar question can also apply to grfx cards.. or to case cooling..

i recon we need to start looking for "sweet spot".. at the moment the entire "cooling" thing seems to be loaded with "bragging" rights about how cool everyones system is.. with 32c at idle being considered good thing while a silent 38c at idle would be laffed at.. he he..

having just put together an overclocked rig useing a normal case (no extra big fans) where the loudest thing at idle is the external USB hardrive (mostly its switched off) i know overclocking and quiteness can go together.. and without super expensive cases or cooling systems..

trog

ps.. here is a good article that neatly points out were the otherwise very good Zalman grfx card cooler falls down.. most reviewers would not have mentioned this only how cool it gets the gpu..

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=28&page=1

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'd go for cooler.
    personally, i dont mind the noise that much.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. trog100

Thanks Received:
    having used an a barton socket A system for the last couple of years i would have said the same thing.. i dont mind the noise.. in fact when it got switched off the "silence" didnt feel right.. he he..

i think that it was cos i just accepted the fact that exessive fan noise was just part of having a reasonably powerfull PC and simply got used to it..

now i know it isnt.. i kinda hate the noise.. and if i click the full fan speed option it sounds unbearably loud.. i spose its just what u accept as "normal".. once u hear a quiet PC u dont want to go back to noisy one.. odd but i think its true..

trogx

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    That's true. My rig is pretty loud, and once I put everything on low it sounds like something is wrong. But personally, when I play games I put the fans on max since the sounds coming from the speakers are usually quite loud anyway. In Windows though, when nothing is coming out the speakers and I don't do heavy intensive tasks, I switch to silent mode... ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. trog100

Thanks Received:
    yes in gaming mode fan noise dosnt matter anywhere near as much.. hard to hear over the 200 watts of gunfire.. he he he

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. poo417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very true. Until I recently upgraded my cpu and gpu cooloing my system sounded like a jump jet taking off when booting up and gaming but as soon as the sound kicked it didn't really matter. So I would go for cooler and louder rather than the other way around. But now thanks to AC I have cooler faster and quieter.:D

Poo

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. breakfromyou

Thanks Received:
    im still trying to get over how silent my computer is. i had an athlon xp-m 2500+ overclocked to 2.2-2.4 depending on where i felt like keeping it, and it didn't run hot unless the fan didn't sound like a vaccuum cleaner. once that fan started making some noise, it cooled down ALOT.

now on water...i can hear my "silent" hard drives. and that annoying chipset fan :mad:

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. poo417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the loudest thing on my system at the moment is my PSU so need to do something about that. The difference since I put my new coolers on is amazing. It does take a bit of getting used to. I can't really tell if my chipset fan is noisey but no doubt when I get a new PSU it will bw next on the list. My old system had a 3200xp in it cooled by an aero cool 7 I think it was called. Looked good like a jet enjine and sounded like it to.:slap:

Poo

10 Year Member at TPU