• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling/Case Modding Update..Fan Help needed!

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
Ok, so if you check my system specs I run a fairly low profile Antec 300, which I forever now swear by as being the sturdiest thing in the world, but beside the point. I am having some odd cooling issues. I attribute this mainly to the fact that I just removed my Okegear PCI Slot blower and never replaced it after it died...and I am now seeing that I need to. My HD 4870 X2 generates A LOT of heat and needs that blower to live. Which brings me to my point. I want to install a side fan, and replace the crappy 120 mm fans I put in the front of my case with newer(LED if possible but not a major issue) based fans. I also would like to have a fan control on the front of the case so when if I am watching TV I can have my computer go into silent mode. However while gaming noise isn't an issue, I used Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's and the block pretty much everything.

TLDR; I need 3x120mm fans, preferably Blue LED, the more power the better(ignore and noise problems), I also need a fan control to stick in my Second CD drive bay and a PCI Slot blower. What I have in mind is this;

3 x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998121

1 x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999704

1 x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999171

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Going to post some pics soon...need to do some major cable management when I install the fans as well..

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
get three Yate Loon 120mm Blue LED and a Sunbeam Rheobus overall better quality and cheaper. forget the PCI exhaust fan it is a waste of money what you should be focusing on is cooling your 4870 X2 probably not the greatest idea to mount it in a mid tower and with the left over money I just saved you plus a little saving you could buy a new heatsink or heatsinks for it. take all your expansion slot covers off and when you install everything set your two front intakes on channel 1 at 7v, set your side intake on channel 2 at 7-12v, set your rear exhaust on channel 3 at 5v and set your top exhaust on channel 4 at 5v. what I like to do is take some whiteout and a ruler (can use masking tape) to draw hash marks on my controller so I know where the voltages are.

Last edited:
System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
I appreciate the response, like the alternatives but I'd prefer to order from NewEgg.com, I live and die by there customer service.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Jab-Tech, Petras and P&PC has really good customer service. I think it's silly you rather pay more for lesser quality. first of all the Zalman is a nice controller has good build quality and a beautiful finish however the control knobs don't have much retention, is incompatible with some fans and non fans and has some power loss issues with fans that do work. Apevia LED Fan I don't even like their cases and according to newegg customer comments (at least the intelligent life) it doesn't have the greatest build quality the fans click when undervolted, vibrate, the led are cheap and a lot of customers say they are loud now this comes down to the individual customer however I like to exercise caution and say Apevia exaggerates the specs which a lot of companies do overall that is too much for the price point. you can go to directron and get a Scythe S-Flex for $11-12 which are legendary and so are Yate Loons because of their price to performance ratio.

Last edited:
System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
I wound up going with 3 new Apevia Blue LED fans.. one of the more reviewed and better rated fans on newegg.com and kinda killed the idea of getting a fan controller...not that big a deal for me right now...I'll probably wind up using one in my next build but for now this setup works just fine. I'll throw a pic up sometime about the updates...if I can find my camera around here...