• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling cpu and gpu (silence), aio/air

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B550 a-pro
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 240 V3 White ARGB
Memory 2x16gb 3600mhz cl 16 corsair vengeance lpx
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 WindForce OC
Storage 1x2tb KC3000 & 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, 2 x 2 tb external usb harddrives
Display(s) LG 32GP850, IIyama G2470HSU-B1
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tg
Audio Device(s) Yamaha R-N600A Dynaudio Emit m10
Power Supply Corsair RM850X White
Mouse Logitech G PRO Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion
Software Windows 11 64 bit, Free bitdefender
I have a Power Color rx 6700 xt red devil and an intel i5 11600kf at 4.9ghz

My gpu often starts the fans under 60 c , i can't change it in the radeon software , in msi afterburner i use for osd i can change fan speed so it starts at 60c but often collide with radeon
in the radeon software where i can adjust vcore but not in msi afterburner

How do i reduce vcore, make fans start at 60 c and have a for me usefull osd ?

Cpu cooler my i5 11600kf at 4.9ghz and 1.36 volt First i had a 360 mm Cooler master MASTERLIQUID ML360R RGB it wasn't silent (one fan wans't silent) , then a be quiet shadow rock 3 a little high temps in stresstest even with 2 fans
Corsair H100i rgb pro xt pump is a little loud, min rpm is just over 2000 rpm.

I want something more silent but still be able to cool my cpu to no more then 80 c, but what ? (my fans are not the problem). up to 75c i keep the fans at low rpm but i can hear some low rumble, at case level i can easily hear the pump is no where near silent, even with the quiet setting, case is a Corsair 4000D Airflow with 4 Scythe Kaze Flex Slim 120 3 pin fans tunning around 650 rpm

Last edited:
With a custom loop you’ll have broader pump choices , I see your title is air/aio so I don’t know if you’re willing to go the custom path .... but it’s the superior solution to achieve what you’re looking for

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
Storage 1x2tb KC3000 & 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, 2 x 2 tb external usb harddrives
With a custom loop you’ll have broader pump choices , I see your title is air/aio so I don’t know if you’re willing to go the custom path .... but it’s the superior solution to achieve what you’re looking for
To expensive

Gpu i just wanna have the choice of lowering vcore and make the fans start when i play a normal game that utilizes the gpu more than facebook game and twitch on my second monitor

I could go back to air but have to be a + 200watt tdp cooler, since my gpu has a hotspot temp of 88c and that effects a single fan 190 watt tdp air cooler to peak at around 90c in stress test (occt)

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock B650M Pro RS
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill FlareX 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) Asus RX 6600 XT Dual OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) AOC C24G1 + Lenovo L24-i10
Case Deepcool CH370 White + 5x Arctic P12 + 2x Arctic P14
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm + Fifine T669 Condenser Mic
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX-850 + sleeved extensions
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G Pro KDA w/ GX Brown
Software W10 64bit Home | Linux Mint Cinnamon

My gpu often starts the fans under 60 c , i can't change it in the radeon software , in msi afterburner i use for osd i can change fan speed so it starts at 60c but often collide with radeon

Personally I would just turn the fan-stop OFF entirely. From my limited testing, you cannot change the point at which the fans spin up in Radeon Software, you cannot move the slider left or right to set when theyre meant to kick in. Thus I recommend you set your fans to run at their absolute lowest RPM up until 60°, they will be essentially inaudible.

As for reducing your vcore, I'm assuming you're talking about undervolting your GPU? I'd take it in -25mV steps, stresstesting it, lowering again, till you get a crash or freeze. Then go +10mV from there and test it again to make sure it's stable.

System Name Mixed Bag of OC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Maxsun MS-iCraft B550M WIFI
Cooling CPU+GPU on Water with 3 X 420 Rad´s
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper RGB @ 3800 Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XTX
Storage 2TB Kingston Fury + 2TB Samsung PCIe 4 NVME
Display(s) Philips 48OLED806
Case Selfmade Huuuuuge *Case* :)
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen DAC + Monoprice M1060C & Burmester Replica AMP + Selfmade Huuuuuge Speakers :)
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750
Mouse Kensington Slimblade (main device) + Razer Basilisk V3 (for FPS)
Keyboard Sharkoon PureWriter RGB, Kailh Blue switches
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores do not matter, my PC is fast :)

Cpu cooler my i5 11600kf at 4.9ghz and 1.36 volt First i had a 360 mm Cooler master MASTERLIQUID ML360R RGB it wasn't silent (one fan wans't silent) , then a be quiet shadow rock 3 a little high temps in stresstest even with 2 fans

I want something more silent but still be able to cool my cpu to no more then 80 c, but what ? (my fans are not the problem). up to 75c i keep the fans at low rpm but i can hear some low rumble, at case level i can easily hear the pump is no where near silent, even with the quiet setting, case is a Corsair 4000D Airflow with 4 Scythe Kaze Flex Slim 120 3 pin fans tunning around 650 rpm

If you want to change the 0 RPM Fan behavior you can use the MPT (MorePowerTool): https://www.igorslab.de/en/red-bios...even-more-stable-overclocking-navi-unlimited/

and under the Performance Tab in the Radeon Software you can change the Vcore as explained by AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-020

The low rumble from your case is more than likely the Pump or Fans with to little vibration dampening.

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
i don't want the fans to run under 60c min is 24% in radeon

I can change vcore in the radeon software but when i enable the fan curve in msi afterburner i often get the vcore to reset in the radeon software

If you want to change the 0 RPM Fan behavior you can use the MPT (MorePowerTool): https://www.igorslab.de/en/red-bios...even-more-stable-overclocking-navi-unlimited/

and under the Performance Tab in the Radeon Software you can change the Vcore as explained by AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-020

The low rumble from your case is more than likely the Pump or Fans with to little vibration dampening.
As i can se the MPT is so fare only for the rx 5000 gpu's, i have a rx 6700 xt red devil, a program that could override the radeon and msi software so i can set fans to start at 60c lower vcore buy 50mv and still have an osd

The low rumple is from the pump, some could be from the fans since not all cases respond equally to vibrations, like when fans at a certain rpm is more high pitched or have a deeper sound, it's the best 120mm notua fan NF-A12x25, they shouldn't add any unwanted vibrations to the case, the scythe fans also have rubber corner, i tried to stop the front fans one by one and the low rumble was still there.

I think i have to buy an air cooler that is more efficient than the be quiet shadow rock 3, im pretty shure the low rumble (both in sound and volume) is from the pump

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) ifi Zen DAC + Monoprice M1060C & Burmester Replica AMP + Selfmade Huuuuuge Speakers :)
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11

I can change vcore in the radeon software but when i enable the fan curve in msi afterburner i often get the vcore to reset in the radeon software
You can set the Fan Curve also in Radeon Software, no need for AB only the 0 RPM behavior can not be changed, only if you use MPT to change the Values:
06-MPT.jpg

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11

As i can se the MPT is so fare only for the rx 5000 gpu's, i have a rx 6700 xt red devil, a program that could override the radeon and msi software so i can set fans to start at 60c lower vcore buy 50mv and still have an osd

The low rumple is from the pump, some could be from the fans since not all cases respond equally to vibrations, like when fans at a certain rpm is more high pitched or have a deeper sound, it's the best 120mm notua fan NF-A12x25, they shouldn't add any unwanted vibrations to the case, the scythe fans also have rubber corner, i tried to stop the front fans one by one and the low rumble was still there.

I think i have to buy an air cooler that is more efficient than the be quiet shadow rock 3, im pretty shure the low rumble (both in sound and volume) is from the pump
no its for every Radeon, just read the instructions on the website. But for short, save your bios with GPUz and LOAD it in MPT then change whatever setting you want and press Write SPPT, it only writes the changes to your registry (no BIOS mod etc.) then restart your PC and the changes are active.

RBE is the Radeon BIOS Editor wich you don´t need to use only the MPT

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
i see it starts at 60 c but stop only when reacing 50c

Im reboting x fingers

It's like it starts based on hopspot temps which instantly rasies til 88 ish when i click run in heaven benchmark, i set it to start at 65c

From the first picture you can seeif gpu temps has 65 c where it stasrt and it has to go down to 60 befor it stops

From the last picture i have no doubt it uses the hotspot to when it has to start/stop, i stped at 59c and start as soon asheaven benchmark stasrt a hotspo goes to 90 c until it a few sec later settles at 88-89c

Should i use hotspot to deside when the fans has to turn on ?

How about memeory clcok down clocking i have 2 monitor diffrent resolution running both a 144hz since it looks like my seconday monitor is limited by how high hz i can set my main moitot to and that is 144hz, evene when i can set my secondary monitor to 165hz it can only do 144hz (ufo hz test)

2021-09-22 13_16_36-Window.png

2021-09-22 13_18_56-Window.png

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x
Motherboard Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
Cooling Underfloor cooling
Memory 2x32GB 6200
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG301RF 2560x1080@200Hz
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply NZXT C850 850W Gold
Mouse Bloody W95 Max Naraka

I have the same video card as you.
If you want fans to start under 60c you can just make a fan curve.
The card performance is limited by TDP and if you go for liquid cooling you will not get more performance but just lower temps, eventually lower noise.
But liquid cooling has fans too...

You can just use the "Quite" option from the Radeon Driver.

With MorePowerTool you can rise max TDP on the card. And in this situation with liquid cooling, you can have a bit more quiet card under heavy load. But you can get around 5% more FPS and I am not sure why you need to do this.
If you want more FPS, the better options here are not to buy liquid cooling but to sell this card and to jump on the next fastest card on the market and to use it in quiet/undervolted mode.

Processor Ryzen 7 7700x
Motherboard Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
Cooling Underfloor cooling
Memory 2x32GB 6200
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG301RF 2560x1080@200Hz
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply NZXT C850 850W Gold
Mouse Bloody W95 Max Naraka
no its for every Radeon, just read the instructions on the website. But for short, save your bios with GPUz and LOAD it in MPT then change whatever setting you want and press Write SPPT, it only writes the changes to your registry (no BIOS mod etc.) then restart your PC and the changes are active.

I need just to say:
Changing Power limit (%) (from Overdrive Limits menu) with Write SPPT from MPT will change the numbers in the Radeon driver, but can't be used because the BIOS will not allow it.
But other settings can be used with Write SPPT, as Power limit GPU(W) (from Power and Voltage menu) but if the driver is reinstalled these settings will be gone and need to be written again.

VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
i see it starts at 60 c but stop only when reacing 50c

Im reboting x fingers

It's like it starts based on hopspot temps which instantly rasies til 88 ish when i click run in heaven benchmark, i set it to start at 65c

From the first picture you can seeif gpu temps has 65 c where it stasrt and it has to go down to 60 befor it stops

From the last picture i have no doubt it uses the hotspot to when it has to start/stop, i stped at 59c and start as soon asheaven benchmark stasrt a hotspo goes to 90 c until it a few sec later settles at 88-89c

Should i use hotspot to deside when the fans has to turn on ?

How about memeory clcok down clocking i have 2 monitor diffrent resolution running both a 144hz since it looks like my seconday monitor is limited by how high hz i can set my main moitot to and that is 144hz, evene when i can set my secondary monitor to 165hz it can only do 144hz (ufo hz test)

View attachment 217821

View attachment 217822

AMD Uses the Hotspot Temp for everything regarding Fan control and Boost/Throttling behavior. so you musst use it as your reference Temp

System Name The Nomad
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B550M Phantom Gaming ITX
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
Memory 2x8GB Patriot 4400MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 Evoke OC w/ Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV
Storage 1TB A-Data SX8200Pro, 4TB WD Blue HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q 27"
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) Epos H6 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G815
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

I vaguely remember reading on Igor's site that new radeon drivers restrict MPT and RBE was the way to go. This could cause a problem for his 6700xt if its still unsupported.

Found the article

"Since AMD has massively restricted the use of the SoftPowerPlayTables and thus indirectly also the MorePowerTool with the Adrenaline drivers from 2020, the community mourns the former overclocking or underclocking bonus, which made the Navi cards like a Radeon RX 5700 (XT) at least a bit more interesting or efficient and was gladly taken along as a free bonus. Unfortunately, since Adrenaline 2020 this was, at least temporarily, over for the time being. But the community around the Red BIOS Rebellion Team has of course taken up this challenge.

The result is the RBE (Red BIOS Editor)"

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
I vaguely remember reading on Igor's site that new radeon drivers restrict MPT and RBE was the way to go. This could cause a problem for his 6700xt if its still unsupported.

Found the article

"Since AMD has massively restricted the use of the SoftPowerPlayTables and thus indirectly also the MorePowerTool with the Adrenaline drivers from 2020, the community mourns the former overclocking or underclocking bonus, which made the Navi cards like a Radeon RX 5700 (XT) at least a bit more interesting or efficient and was gladly taken along as a free bonus. Unfortunately, since Adrenaline 2020 this was, at least temporarily, over for the time being. But the community around the Red BIOS Rebellion Team has of course taken up this challenge.

The result is the RBE (Red BIOS Editor)"
Well it seems to work but it uses gpu temperature (hotspot) so when heaven benchmark starts running, in a split second temps goes up til 90c and settles at 88-89c and the fans turn on even when gpu temperature is under 65c

Settings for the fan are now 65 on 60 stop instead of 60 on 50 stop

VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
Well it seems to work but it uses gpu temperature (hotspot) so when heaven benchmark starts running, in a split second temps goes up til 90c and settles at 88-89c and the fans turn on even when gpu temperature is under 65c

Settings for the fan are now 65 on 60 stop instead of 60 on 50 stop
It is working on the 6700XT since Version 1.3.2 and the latest is 1.3.5 and I am using it with my 6900XT XTXH to raise the Powerlimit for example

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
nice finally to have someting that works 70 on,63 stop is what i settled for,at the moment

What about my cpu cooler ? A new air cooler for the ultimate silence ?

Last edited:
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
nice finally to have someting that works 70 on,63 stpå i settled for for the moment

What about my cpu cooler ? A new air cooler for the ultimate silence ?
If you want a Silent CPU cooling, that can hold low temperatures, then you need a big Cooler in the Noctua NH-D15 Class. Except for AIO´s because of the Pump (Maybe the EK one because its very good but also very expensive)
Unbenannt.JPG

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
Im a little hesitant buying another new aio cooler, i have a 360mm from cooler master, the corsair h100i im using atm is one that is as good as the cooler master (about the same price)

I know it's not easy finding an aio with a silent pump for silent freaks, so i won't just buy an aio again.

Could i buy the cheapest 120mm air cooler from noctua and get NH-U12A performance, i have the noctua fans, my be quiet dark rock 3 don't respond well to 2 fans and a 88c (hotspot) gpu with an oced i5 11600kf https://valid.x86.fr/76a5lf

Maximum CPU Cooler Height 170 mm

Last edited:
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
Im a little hesitant buying another new aio cooler, i have a 360mm from cooler master, the corsair h100i im using atm is one that is as good as the cooler master (about the same price)

I know it's not easy finding an aio with a silent pump for silent freaks, so i won't just buy an aio again.

Could i buy the cheapest 120mm air cooler from noctua and get NH-U12A performance, i have the noctua fans, my be quiet dark rock 3 don't respond well to 2 fans and a 88c (hotspot) gpu with an oced i5 11600kf https://valid.x86.fr/76a5lf
If you can get a Noctua NH-U14S it would be the best price to performance ratio for Noctua coolers then comes the Noctua NH-U12S but no the U12A is a thicker cooler on its own even without the second Fan.

Last edited:
Processor ryzen 7 5700x
If you can get a Noctua NH-U14S it would be the best price to performance ratio for Noctua coolers then comes the Noctua NH-U12S but no the U12A is a thicker cooler on it self even without the second Fan.
I have the notua NF-A12x25 fans (2)

VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
I have the notua NF-A12x25 fans (2)
then get the U12S and make it Dual Fan. It will come with one Fan included and a mounting clip for a second one.

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
then get the U12S and make it Dual Fan. It will come with one Fan included and a mounting clip for a second one.
Just not the same fan ;-)

Second choice is the be quiet dark rock pro 4 or mabye the fuma 2

Last edited:
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11
Just not the same fan ;-)

Second choice is the be quiet dark rock pro 4 or mabye the fuma 2
The fuma 2 is one of the quietest under full load but not the most silent overall and with light loads

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
Scythe ninja 5 ?