• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling Problem with Nephews laptop, Need Help please.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Hello TPU member's /Guests,

My nephew is just a kid (12) , But he is IN LOVE with PC Gaming, and video editing , recording, and basically ALL manner of PC tech. I try My best to encourage his interests, and help it Flourish into Whatever He wants it to become. Unfortunately as of late, His laptop has been hitting TJMaxx, and shutting down.

My problem is that I DO know a Decent bit about PC's , but My knowledge of Laptop's is MINIMAL @ best. I assume that they basically have the Same make up, but My ignorance gives Me fear to simply open it, and Clean, and try to resolve whatever problem is causing the Over heating.

My questions are, Can I simply open it, and address the issue , e.g. Clean fans of dust, dirt , and debris? Re-Apply TIM to GPU , and CPU?
I DO know all the precautions to mind while working on a Desktop PC, are they the Same with a Laptop? It IS still under warranty , Should I just have it sent in for repair? I apologize if this line of questioning Seems basic, but I REALLY have never owned a laptop, and dont want to cause any damage. I have Also looked into those laptop Cooling fan bases, that go under the unit, and have several fans that help increase ventilation, are these of any REAL use? I KNOW that they MUST provide SOME kind of decrease in C's, but I prefer to spend my time making a more permanent , and successful fix, (NOT a bandage).

Laptop Model is--- HP PAVILLION G6-2270DX (under Warranty Still)Win 8 64bit.
I Know it has an AMD CPU/GPU combo. Sorry for LAck of details, it's NOT My laptop.

Any and ALL RELATED advice is welcome, please if You have No constructive advice to offer, there are LOT'S of funny videos on youtube, go watch one of them :)

Last edited:
System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
before you open it try to just blow out dust with compressed air.
laptops need dust cleaning more often then desktops but it isnt needed to open it order to clean dust. use compressed air on every 1-2 mounts and it will work fine.
also you can take one of those http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/mobile/for-12-to-15-inch/notepal-u2.html
i have U3 version and it deals quite well with gpu overheating problems of my qosmio

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I've worked on a few laptops, and they are sometimes a challenge to work on, but if you use compressed air, it's easy enough to remove the access covers to blow out the CPU and GPU coolers. Re-applying TIM is probably too complicated, as it would require removing the whole case (and may void the warranty). You didn't mention what model he's using or any specs, so I don't know how bad he's stressing it, but in my experience ALL laptops run too hot for more than casual use. I think a good cleaning and a laptop cooler with fans will alleviate the problem somewhat, but with the tasks he's doing, a desktop should be his goal for the future, as it can be optimized for those tasks and cooling is easy to upgrade. I would NOT send it back for warranty work, they'll just tell you there's nothing wrong. There should be at least 2 or 3 covers on the bottom that are held on by a couple screws, access for RAM, hard drive, and CPU/wifi card. Also remove the battery any time you work on a laptop, and observe the usual static precautions. Good luck, I think it's great when people show a passion for computing at an early age, they often accomplish great things later on. My oldest brother started at that age (in 1967!) and he's made a fortune and had a great time doing it.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
just blow down the fan opening once and then though the exhaust area at the side.

also make sure your nephew isnt using it on the bed, as beds are soft and all the ports get blocked making the fan suffocate. buy him a cheap little notebook cooler. CM ones go for around 20$ and are as effective at cooling as the more expensive ones.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
EDIT: HP have been known to get really, really hot. My mates have had a few over the years that eventually die from heat related issues. As it is still under warranty, perhaps send it back manufacturer, if blowing out dust does not lower temperatures.

D

Deleted member 24505

Blow some compressed air in it to blow the dust out, if that does not work, send it back under warranty, It's not worth voiding the warranty imho.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
TBH I wouldn't open the back of it as it is under warranty just in case someone says something. I'd use compressed air to get any dust out but just be careful not to blow it the dust in further or cake which makes it a PITA to get out then. HDD/RAM covers should be removable without voiding the warranty as long as the RAM/HDD aren't taken out/changed so that might help blow out dust from the inside out.

I use a Zalman NC-2000 notebook cooler for my Asus G53 from several years ago (quite an ancient product) and it drops temps between 5-12C which may not sound like much but it certainly helps. Ambient temperature and airflow around the laptop is really an important factor too.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I've worked on a few laptops, and they are sometimes a challenge to work on, but if you use compressed air, it's easy enough to remove the access covers to blow out the CPU and GPU coolers. Re-applying TIM is probably too complicated, as it would require removing the whole case (and may void the warranty). You didn't mention what model he's using or any specs, so I don't know how bad he's stressing it, but in my experience ALL laptops run too hot for more than casual use. I think a good cleaning and a laptop cooler with fans will alleviate the problem somewhat, but with the tasks he's doing, a desktop should be his goal for the future, as it can be optimized for those tasks and cooling is easy to upgrade. I would NOT send it back for warranty work, they'll just tell you there's nothing wrong. There should be at least 2 or 3 covers on the bottom that are held on by a couple screws, access for RAM, hard drive, and CPU/wifi card. Also remove the battery any time you work on a laptop, and observe the usual static precautions. Good luck, I think it's great when people show a passion for computing at an early age, they often accomplish great things later on. My oldest brother started at that age (in 1967!) and he's made a fortune and had a great time doing it.

Model Number, and make ARE there in the original post, But are a Way's down, You MIGHT have skimmed past it, but Your point is STILL valid, and appreciated. I apologize for my absence as I had a Family emergency which required My presence for a few days.

As far as the Laptop, I noticed it has a Removable Cover over a Fan, I think, So I'll try taking JUST it off, and going at it with a Can of Air. Aside from that, if it is STILL running so hot that it KEEPS hitting TJMAXX, then I'll get an RMA #, and go that route.

I was just trying to avoid that IF possible, I don't think ANY of us want our PC's , or what have You, out of order for a Few weeks if it's avoidable.

Thanks for ALL of Your help.
Case Closed.