• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CoolIT Freezone

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
The only way to get cooler temperatures than with air coolers is to use water cooling. But how do you get cooler than a water cooler without using some form of complicated exotic cooling? The answer is not very easily, until now. CoolIT has come up with a new cooler that utilizes a means of exotic cooling, yet it's designed for ease of use for the average end-user. Today we take a look at this new cooler from CoolIT and see if it really is better than any other cooler out there.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

macci

Good review - not-so-good product. I would almost call this concept fairly stupid for modern high-power CPUs. It would probably be fine for a Dothan or Yonah or old Celeron 300A =)

I didnt fully understand what has the heat capacity of water (and the amount of water) to do with the cooling capacity (heat transfer capacity) of this product?
Or course if you have more water in the system it takes more time to heat up but I would assume that after the first 10-15mins (which might be needed to heat up the water / stabilize the temps) this becomes irrelevant. It all comes down to how much heat the TECs + the heatsink cooling the TECs can handle.

Overall a very interesting read :)
(I was supposed to test a similar unit long time ago, I thought it would not be worth it, looks like it was good that I didnt waste my time with it)

Last edited:

pev69

A nice review, as always at your magnificient site. However, the size of the reservoir does not per se have any effect on the long term performance of ANY cooling system! More water takes longer to heat, BUT it also takes longer to cool! The only way it would matter is if the reservoir is itself acting as a radiator (e.g. Zalman Reserator systems), then increasing its size would propably increase its radiating (cooling) surface area.

So, the reservoir size only affects the initial rate at which the system reaches its operating temperature. The long term performance is affected solely by the ratio of the effective performances of the hot and cold sides in the system.

EDIT: Ah, macci already noted about this. Sorry, I took a long time to keep my reply in editing mode :)

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
It would have effect on the performance of the cooler in theory, and that's why I said "I believe" with blah blah blah... It more or less buys the TECs time to cool the water more effectively. I see your guy's points very clearly and they make perfect sense and I'm not saying you're wrong, however with no significant reservoir, the hot water goes directly to the cooling blocks/TECs and there is no break for the TECs. TECs are no where near the same thing as a radiator, and this system does not use a radiator. Even if a reservoir made a 1-2C difference on a conventional water loop, it could be a lot different on a TEC based system. When the cold side of a TEC gets warmer, so does the hot side of the TEC. Right there you loose some of the maximum cooling potential of the TEC.

The only accurate way to find out is to add a reservoir, and see because this is a very debatable topic. I do plan on doing this when I get some more time. You can look at it either way, but I do think it would help, and that's why I said that in the review. I've seen larger reservoirs help on water systems before, and I don't see why it couldn't here especially where it's cooled by non-conventional methods.

XooM

Processor Athlon 64 3800 x2 Windosr @ 2.65 (and rising)
Motherboard BIOSTAR TForce 550
Cooling Custom Liquid (WMD20RLZT, Swiftech STORM, 2-302 w/ custom shroud, 2x sanyo denki)
Memory Patriot PDC22G5300LLK
Video Card(s) Sapphire x1900GT
Storage 1x maxtor 40gb, 2x hitachi T7K250 160gb drives RAID 0, 1x 160gb Spinpoint
Display(s) 2x 17" CRT (dells; one from 1998, one from 2001) at 1600x1200 each
Case Aspire X-SuperAlien
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Seasonic S12 600watt
Software WinXP SP2, Folding@Home, Battlefield2, etc
djbben: see the racetrack debunking in the liquid cooling article in this site's wiki as to why the whole "give it time to cool down" idea is bogus ;)

There are situations when reservoir size does matter; using a pond, swimming pool, or lake as a reservoir will almost certainly never reach thermal equilibrium ;)

shame there was no comparison in the review to a water cooling rig that would run approximately the same price.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nice informative review. Ive been seeing alot of these lately, and Ive been thinking of investing in them. At idle, the things are supremo, no doubt about it, however, it doesnt let you get a high oc like Liquid Cooling (I dont call it water cooling anymore as most systems use a cooland (antifreeze)) systems do. I paid $120 for my Koolance Exos, and it really performs about on par with this, aside from the idle (idle is like 25-27C depending on the heat and its getting hot down here and load, depending on heat, is 29-36C depending on heat here). Overall, nice read though. More information than I could have found. Id stick with Thermaltake V1000 fan cooler or liquid cooling systems like koolance, swiftech and danger den :)

compuman

coolant level

How often do you hav to check the coolant ? do you hav to flush it once a year or something like a car ?
game on cheerrs compu man

d44ve

Processor Intel E6600 @ 4.2GHZ Wo0t!
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme & eVGA 680i A1
Cooling Phase Change !!
Memory OCZ SLI 1066MHZ (2GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800 GTX
Storage Western Digital 320 GB
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Lian-Li V2000
Software Vista Ultimate
there certianly cannot be much power going to the TEC's.... I wonder how much better it would do with more power going to the TEC's?

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
How often do you hav to check the coolant ? do you hav to flush it once a year or something like a car ?
game on cheerrs compu man

No need to change the coolant - It's a maintenance free unit.

d44ve -> all six TECs together pull 56 watts... so they're not overly powerful. If you get too powerful of TECs though, the system will draw far too much power and cause compatibility issues, as increase the risk of condensation.

junker39

Processor Dual AMD 2200+
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Cooling Stock AMD until I finish water system
Memory 1 Gig
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 9550
Storage (3) WD160g (1) WD80g
Display(s) Dual Acer AL1917
Case Huge old server case from a school
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy Live
Power Supply 480w ??
Software Win2000Pro, ZA, AVG,
I found this pretty interesting. I built a similar system three years ago using a homemade aluminum heat exchanger, a TEC from a 12 volt refrig, and a cheap water cooling system from Thermaltake. After refining the whole thing a few times, I had dual TECs mounted on a copper heat exchanger, using large heatsinks and three inch fans on each. The exchanger works really good transfering the heat from the water to the TEC. By using a seperate power supply for the cooling pump, fans and TECs I had no problems there. My AMD ran around 85 degrees F at full load using 3DMark2001 (I think.) I had to regulate the voltage to the TECs because of the humidity here in south Texas. At idle, the water lines would start dripping condensation in warmer weather. I tried running the lines so the water would drip into a rigged up drain pan and then to a jar but, that didn't work out real good. So, I let the TEC voltage run a little lower than design and that warmed it up enough to stop the condensation. I tried different pumps, line sizes, and fans and I just about tweaked that one out. Right now, I'm working on using eight TECs on a water supplied air conditioning sytem for the whole case. So far the only big problem has been getting the case insulated good enough so it doesn't rain inside of itself. I know it isn't going to work right but, I'll be the only one in town with an air conditioned PC. Later.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
I will have one on thursday.I also plan on doing the 120mm fan mod.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Iv been researching this all over the web and I see a lot better temps from this system. I wonder if you guys would have tested this system BEFORE you took it apart you would have gotten better temps.

I mean you guys know what your doing without a doubt but maybe you missed something on reassembly.

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
I had the Freezones little brother, the Eliminator. I will tell you that at idle the temps are awesome. Nothing like seeing an overclocked Q6600 at 9c. However, on load the temps are no better than a good air cooler.