1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra on a Hyper 412s

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gasolin, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I have a Cooler master Hyper 412s and have bought some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra for tim (i7 7700k delid)
    is it also safe to use for my cpu cooler ? I have heard it doesn’t work with Aluminum heatsinks.

2. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't.

I researched this same thing when I delidded my 4790K and applied CLU. I stuck with some AC MX-4 or Noctua NT-1 (iirc) for the TIM between IHS and cooler. I did use some RTV sealant to glue the IHS back to the CPU PCB. Dropped around 10-12C temps on each core. :D

Here's one of the links I found when researching this a while ago in the Googles. :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Mr.Scott

Mr.Scott

Thanks Received:
    It eats aluminum.
    Your direct contact heatpipes are housed in aluminum, so no, don't use it.
    It's actually ok to use on copper but be advised, the only way to get it off is to lap it.
    I hate the stuff. :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I happen to notice it doesn't work with aluminuim heatsinks, cooler master say 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes / Aluminum Fins.

I have bought some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra (getting it next week) because some say it's alot better than the Gelid GC extreme i used for tim.

5. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Definitely do not use Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
    It contains gallium and gallium does not react well with copper and or aluminum

Gallium attacks most other metals by diffusing into the metal lattice. For example, it diffuses into the grain boundaries of aluminium-zinc alloys and steel. making them very brittle.

Nuckles56, stinger608 and natr0n say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    what cpu coolers does it work with? I mean it's surpose to be even better than the gc extreme i have, that is one of the best non liquid thermal paste.

7. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:

dorsetknob says thanks.
  8. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Have seen a video about it

It's okay to use for tim and how about cpu coolers, what works with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra ?

9. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    You Serious !!!????
    not if it comes into contact with aluminum

Did you not watch the Vids Posted
    did you not see what effect it had on that evo 212 Cooler or the Sheet of aluminum

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. gasolin

Thanks Received:

I only watched the last video, for tim i mean on the cpu/chip and the heatsink. Not for the cpu cooler (on the cpu,under the cpu cooler)

It can be used on a cpu cooler and if it's that much better than Gelid gc extreme i wonder what cpu cooler it will work with.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  11. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    Yeh See my 1st post
    This is a copper heatpipe in Aluminum Base with gallium Based Tim
    Watch it dissolve the Aluminum and fall apart

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2017
    Vario, Norton and erocker say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    have seen it (now)

13. infrared

infrared Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's exceptionally good stuff, but requires a bit of knowledge to use without wrecking stuff.

You can only use it on coolers with a copper base or nickel plated copper. As you've seen, it can't come into contact with any aluminium whatsoever!! And if you use too much it can squish out and drip onto something, being highly conductive this obviously isn't desirable either!

edit: as mentioned above it can 'stain' copper, but that's only a cosmetic issue if you're ocd. You can remove it by lapping the base of the cooler if it bothers you.
    I've also heard it makes the writing on heat spreaders fade, but it's better for under heat spreaders, and use normal TIM for your usual heat spreader to cooler application.

itsakjt, Mr.Scott, Nuckles56 and 2 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  14. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Clear answer: It will corrode the aluminum on the cooler.. only on nickel plated copper and straight copper it'll work on. :pimp:

dorsetknob and Nuckles56 say thanks.
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Intergranular corrosion or exfoliation. Not good for any metal. I guess thats why I use AS5 or MX 4 or even cheap antec stuff

Vario and dorsetknob say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. trog100

Thanks Received:
    it literally eats the aluminium parts of any cooler base.. i used it thinking the direct contact cooler was mostly copper and it would be okay..

within five minutes of firing up the machine the cooler fell off.. it ruined the cooler and taught me a lesson i wont forget quickly.. he he..

trog

dorsetknob and infrared say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. dont whant to set it"'

dont whant to set it"'

Thanks Received:
    @trog100 ; I did not experiente such with aluminium heatsink(anodized and painted I think since it was black), and no problem short term with a hdt copper-aluminum, but I guesstimate it was an aloy of some kind ,probably anodized too.

18. trog100

Thanks Received:
    an artic cooler with direct contact copper heat pipes clamped and held in place by an aluminium piece machined to the upper contours of the heat pipes.. it was none anodized aluminium with no extra finish.. the liquid metal was also very sparingly applied..

i was checking the temps after a de-lid and still had the case sides off.. within five minutes of running the cooler broke away from the motherboard.. the liquid metal stuff had so badly eaten into the aluminium clamping piece that it simply broke.. the aluminium piece had turned dark grey and powdery and lost all its strength..

i was kind of amazed at what had took place when i took the cooler off to see.. the speed at which the aluminum was destroyed did amaze me..

its possible that paint or anodizing might stop this happening.. but it for sure happened to me.. he he..

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Totally

Thanks Received:
    Anodizing would do nothing would be like wearing a sweater expecting it to shield you from the rain and a high-temp paint would protect assuming that there are not any gaps for the gallium to seep through but would just add an insulating layer hampering cooling defeating the purpose of using CLU vs any other TIM.

20. trog100

Thanks Received:
    i simply suggested that paint or anodizing might protect the aluminium from literally being eaten on the spot by the gallium which is pretty much what happened in my case.. i wasnt suggesting that paint or anodizing would solve the problem.. simply coming up with a possible reason for somebody not getting the results i got..

trog

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Totally

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't trying to refute you just pointing out that paint would just end up causing another problem while solving the other, and as before anodizing just isn't worth the effort/cost since it does nothing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  22. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    Is it hard to understand
    A Anodized Aluminum heat Sink is Still made from Aluminum
    the Anodized part of the heatsink is just a hardened Skin of Aluminum oxide which will still break down and dissolve if a gallium based Tim is used
    It probably take a day or so longer to dissolve but" Dissolve it will"

eidairaman1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU