• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Copper anti seize grease as thermal paste?

System Name POS built from new and used parts from everywhere in pieces cheap
Processor Amd Ryzen R5 3600X $180 used off Ars and a 3900X is only 5-8fps faster in games, so y spend more $$$
Motherboard msi x570 gaming edge wifi $180 refurb off Amazon
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 used off ebay for $65
Memory G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3600mhz $85 off Amazon
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700 XT
Storage 1 tb ssd, 4 tb spinner, 4 tb spinner, 5 tb spinner, 2tb spinner, 4tb External
Display(s) 2 50" "chap" Hisense TV's
Case Cooler Master Kick butt case.
Audio Device(s) Marantz SR-5010
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x Modular Got manufacture refurbished for $85 Shipped on Amazon
Mouse Elecom Huge Marble Mouse $35 off ebay used and worth every penny!
Keyboard Cheap Gofreetech Mechanical I got for $16 off Eblay
Software Windows 10 Pro Bought key for $20 off HRK
Benchmark Scores It does something, plays games and stuff, do I really need to whip out my score penis at you?
If your minimum temperature is 17.5c, then your room temperature must be lower than this. Isn't that a little cold for the human body.

A fan, or wind blowing on you when its cold, makes you colder, especially if you are made of metal ;)

Probably true given the copper inserts to aluminum heatsinks.

Ive been/was a mechanic for many years, and used this stuff on many types of metal, under a ton of heat, stress, and pressure, and have yet to ever seen it eat any of the metal its been applied to, either by me, or from the factory, or from someone else that did the job before I got a hold of it. SO far, I have used this stuff on everything I and my son own, and on computers and laptops I have fixed so far, with great results. I am looking forward to my long term test, for I really think that since this stuff was made to withstand much greater temps then I could ever put it through, that it will last much longer then reg paste I used to use. I even did my old laptop my daughter is using for school since she isnt going, and all her work has to be done on line, so Im really really looking forward to the long term test on it, for a laptops eats paste for breakfast, and Im usually redoing it once a year, and even then its pretty much all dried up. So for me, Im not really worried about it eating my cpu or heatsink metal at all, nor shorting anything out, for I apply it like liquid metal, and use the thinnest of layer when applied, even thinner then the paste I used to use in fact, and seems to work better with a ultra thin layer, then a thicker one I have found out in my testing and trial and error applications and tests.

Sisyfos

Ah, a few comments since my last update. The temps are normally around 20 Celsius here in the room. I do not think that the CPU thermometers are exactly accurate, they probably try to get just to the right ballpark figure and care most likely more about the higher temps than the low end. The copper paste is going strong with no showing of any performance degradation. Frankly to me it seems that this particular paste can just stay there for years before I bother with it again. I did not go out of my way to purchase it to be used as a thermal paste, but it was there available on my shelf when I needed something. Its performance seems equal or better than other "real" thermal paste I have used before, but it has the same drawbacks as using liquid metal because it is conductive so that is not really much of a bonus.

System Name GPD-Q9
Processor Rockchip RK-3288 1.8ghz quad core
Motherboard GPD Q9_V6_150528
Cooling Passive
Memory 2GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Mali T764
Storage 16GB Samsung NAND
Display(s) IPS 1024x600
System Name GPD-Q9
Cooling Passive
Memory 2GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Mali T764
Display(s) IPS 1024x600
Update. I have changed the TIM on my daily use T3500 with it's Xeon W3680 back to MX-4. Was trying to OC the W3680 and it kept spiking in temps on 3 of the 6 cores(my definition of spiking is low to mid 70's C, which to me is unacceptable). When I took the HS off, there was no resistance. It still looked good. Seems I didn't apply it is evenly as I had thought as the spread was not uniform. Still, the stuff did the job as intended and if I were not the temperature freak that I am and were not OCing it likely would have continued to do the job just fine.

Sorry for not taking pictures as I was not thinking of this thread when I was trying to stabilize the OC.

So, to offer some thoughts on this nearly year long experiment, Copper based screw thread anti-seize products seem to work well as a TIM, even if not specifically designed for it. Granted not all anti-seize compounds are created equal and formulation matters.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD-9370BE @4.6
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 +SB950
Cooling CM Nepton 280L
Memory G.Skill Sniper 16gb DDR3 2400
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage C:\SSD (240GB), D:\Seagate (2TB), E:\Western Digital (1TB)
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software windows 10
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
any thoughts on why it didnt spread evenly? not enough clamp pressure?

System Name GPD-Q9
Cooling Passive
Memory 2GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Mali T764
Display(s) IPS 1024x600
any thoughts on why it didnt spread evenly? not enough clamp pressure?
It's possible I didn't spread it as well as I could have. When I first tried the compound it was just a novelty experiment. When it actually worked I decided to leave it to see how long it would last.

Last edited:
Processor Amd Ryzen R5 3600X $180 used off Ars and a 3900X is only 5-8fps faster in games, so y spend more $$$
Storage 1 tb ssd, 4 tb spinner, 4 tb spinner, 5 tb spinner, 2tb spinner, 4tb External
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x Modular Got manufacture refurbished for $85 Shipped on Amazon
Benchmark Scores It does something, plays games and stuff, do I really need to whip out my score penis at you?
Still no problems here with my brand, or application. No funky stuff going on, and I have applied it to everything so far that needs thermal paste. As far as application, a small dab will do you. Too thin will cause spikes, and too thick and it doesn't transfer the heat as good. I have found that putting a small dap on my finger, and poking it all over the chip(s), just enough to coat it to where you cannot see it work great. No chance of it oozing out from between the heatsink and chip, so no chance of any of it shorting something out, and I have yet to see any of it/them turn into a watery mess after being used for almost a year, for my cpu is still running strong. And YES, I also love this stuff for if I have to remove the sink, and it is applied like I mention, it doesn't rip the cpu out of the socket when taking it off like all the other tim I have used in the past, so no chance of bending/ breaking pins, when having to take me cpu off the board for what ever reason. Than alone makes it worth all its weight in copper not breaking or bending that, that I am happy to be a degree or two higher in temps vs the MX-4 (MYSELF) I had been using in the past.

If not ocing like a mofo on this stuff, leaving stock, making sure to do a EVEN thin spread of the stuff, and careful as you applied it, a bottle of this stuff will be the last tim you will ever purchase ;)

System Name GPD-Q9
Cooling Passive
Memory 2GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Mali T764
Display(s) IPS 1024x600
If not ocing like a mofo on this stuff, leaving stock, making sure to do a EVEN thin spread of the stuff, and careful as you applied it, a bottle of this stuff will be the last tim you will ever purchase
I'll go along with that. The thing is, I wasn't having any stability issues and most would consider the temps I was getting to be acceptable. The stuff was working very well!

I'm happy if it gets no where near throttling and running great with no stutters I can see, and many temps below its maximum threshold, and I'm happy as a clam. HOWEVER, for my case, many fans, and like to keep my house at 69, it is doing great for what I need it to do. But I really cannot stress how important, with my stuff, to make sure its not too thin or thick of a layer, and DO not do the pea in the middle, yeah use your finger and move it around to get a thin even cover. I am not convinced that the pea method is the best, for I don't like second guessing myself, and doing it that way will make me do that big time and my ocd will be triggered, if its not running like I like thinking in the back of my head did I apply enough to spread out over the whole chip causing XXX to happen. I been and always will spread it myself knowing 100% that's not the problem at all with what is going on, so look at something else causing the problem. This stuff is no exception, and look what Lex did ;)