1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

copy contents of C:\ to make a dual boot???

Discussion in 'General Software' started by acousticlemur, Feb 5, 2008.

1. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i got borred today and wanted to make a dual boot with out a fresh install. so i used norton ghost 12 to copy the contents of my c:\ drive to a new one F:\ and when i try to boot to the copy it gets to the windows login for a split second and goes to a grey screen with a mouse cursor. then a few min later it goes to a windows login screen and loops the login and shutdown sounds. i left it there for a few min and all it would do is loop the sounds over and over... any one have any ideas?

the reason for doing this is because i want to try the upgrade to vista instead of a fresh install of ultimate. because my mobo for some reason doesn't like vista and after the install and before you create your login name and pic your display pic it will go into standby and i can never actually get it to finalize the install. i have had it on here before but for some reason after my 9600xt died on me last year i have been having this issue. asus said that i can RMA my board but i dont want to be with out a computer for a few weeks. and i have got it to install a few times bby just being patient and trying to get all the login information in before the standby.

it also does it when i install XP. but i just go into safe mode and change the power options to allways on instead of home and office and all is well.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    With problems like this I would run the Install disk and do a repair on the install. That should fix that

3. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i did fixmbr and fixboot to get it to boot. what commands should i use to fix it?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i was thinking the fixboot, after doing that it still does it eh?

5. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah still the same thing. i am thinking about doing a fresh install of xp pro and then upgrading it to vista ultimate. i just thought that doing it this way would be cool. cause i would already have all my programs and shit installed.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you even do that? Aren't there a ton of registry entries and the like that specifically point to the C: drive and Ghost just copies byte by byte?

Try switching the drives and see if the C: (previously F:) will boot.

7. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have 3 drives in my computer 2 sata (500gb and 120gb) and one ide (120gb) my main drive is a partition on the 500gb. so after i copied the data i just disabled my sata controller in the bios so that the ide would be the only findable drive, and that is how i booted to it.

i didnt think i would have a problem. since it is similar to ghosting a brand new hard drive when you upgrade to a bigger / newer one... but i guess i was wrong. oh well i have formatted a new partition on my 500gb drive and i am gonna install xp on it and then try the upgrade. not too big of a deal i guess cause i can do a fresh install of windows in like 10min :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yah it doesnt take to long on new hardware these days, and its always smarter to do a fresh install, then you get a fresh registry and a good clean platform to start on. I have to wipe my install tonight, going on 3 months and its startin to get alittle clunky

9. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i do it about ever few months too. but lately i have been using ghost to do it. i made a backup after updates and drivers and such so that i dont have to go through all that shit anymore. :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    agreed there, its always a hastle to have to install all those updates. Normally while doing updates I install all my personal programs and I can have the whole process done in roughly an hour

11. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i was not able to do the upgrade. it said that some files were corrupt or something to that effect. so i had to do a fresh install. but anyway i got it after about an hour of fighting with the constant standby shit, but oh well :rockout:

10 Year Member at TPU