• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cord Cutting and Live Streaming

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
This is becoming a very popular thing in the last 2 to 5 years. With more and more streaming apps in the world, more and more people are "cutting the cord" and going with streaming vs cable TV.

For one, with cable, you are limited to what ever the local cable company provides for programming. With so many streaming apps available, there are literally 100's of thousands of options and programs to stream and view.

Many of the most popular are, of course, Netflix, Amazon video, Sling, and YouTube, just to name a couple.

With the streaming becoming so popular, there are hundreds of streaming devices available. Roku and Amazon TV is a couple of the most popular devices. There are also many many Android TV boxes available as well. Beware though,

many of the Android TV boxes are absolute garbage. Some are okay, but many of them are not worth the money they get for them.

With that being said, one of the most popular products is the Amazon TV Stick.

Some of the reasons that the Amazon Fire TV Stick is so popular, is the performance, size, and the price. Now, a little know fact with the Fire Stick, is it can be hacked or "jailbroken" to accept many side loaded streaming apps. Another

popular side load on the Amazon Fire Stick, is Kodi.

This can easily be done and one great resource for tutorials on loading Kodi and many other apps is TroyPoint.

He has many different options and tutorials throughout his website, however, the Amazon Fire Stick is probably one of the most popular articles on his website.

He has a great article explaining and showing you how to jailbreak the Amazon Fire Stick:

He also has 16 Firestick Tips and Tricks:

Plus many many other articles related to the Amazon Fire Stick as well as the Android TV boxes.

As of late, his favorite Android TV box is the MECOOL KM2, of which he has a review recently put up on his site:

Along with these, he also has some articles regarding some of the better sports, movie, and TV show sites:

Now, to get away from TroyPoint, another good resource for "Cord Cutting" is Cord Cutters News:

So, I don't want to make this post a mile long, so I'll cut it off here.

I hope this helps some of you that have or is planning on, cutting the cord.

Legal statement: I in no way am associated with TroyPoint, Cord Cutters News, or any other of the links I have provided.
As a person that tries to abide by the law, I have read and TroyPoint claims his tutorials and links are all legal.

If you know of some great resources, please feel free to share them with the community in this thread.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
While r/cablecutters has indeed been a big thing, it won't fully pull me back from my Enigma2 satellite box soon (except I need to re-new my sub).

I'd say Netflix has to be the primary streaming service people are dealing with, due to its price (which is increasing in some regions lately) and easy availability on devices. But you have to keep in mind that with a streaming service like Netflix, you're limited to what they can offer - and often times, what Netflix offers is either heavily dramatized documentaries, or garbage movies.

Cable TV is still a thing because of the coaxial connections at houses. Once you go satellite, you can get 1000s of different TV channels. I say this because I've gone towards couple 1000s of channels on my Vu Uno 4k+, and there were more. Now the biggest problem with TV broadcasting is, ads and pointless material. But you get a ton of channels so that's a bonus at least. Live TV also delivers news, if you're into that. You aren't going to get that with Netflix. So yeah, there are some trade offs.