• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i7 5775C on Z97 easy overclock help

System Name Lenovo 17IMH05H
Processor Core i7 10750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1660 Ti
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Benchmark Scores i've got a shitload of them in 15 years of TPU membership
I have not done any serious voltage and BLCK based overclocking since 2012 when i had an i7 920 and X58 system and i am not going to do so now, but i just need just a slight overclock!

I am now confused a bit.. The Core i7 5775C is an unlocked CPU, so i set the multiplier to 40 without adding voltage.

First question: what would be the difference between setting the turbo boost on all cores to 40 instead of disabling turbo boost, but setting the multiplier to manual 40? This i don't get it.

Second question: i want power management so i keep EIST and C1E on, but do i really need C1E? Surely EIST is enough to enter the lowest multiplier state as well as other higher states? As i understand C1E only enters the single lowest power state, but if EIST does the same, is not C1E a legacy thing?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
First question: what would be the difference between setting the turbo boost on all cores to 40 instead of disabling turbo boost, but setting the multiplier to manual 40? This i don't get it.
Once you go above the stock non-turbo multiplier, it uses turbo to increase the multi. No turbo means no more multi bumps over the stock base clock multi as I understand it. That's how my 3820 works.
Second question: i want power management so i keep EIST and C1E on, but do i really need C1E? Surely EIST is enough to enter the lowest multiplier state as well as other higher states? As i understand C1E only enters the single lowest power state, but if EIST does the same, is not C1E a legacy thing?
Is it giving you problems? If not, I would just let it be.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I have not done any serious voltage and BLCK based overclocking since 2012 when i had an i7 920 and X58 system and i am not going to do so now, but i just need just a slight overclock!

I am now confused a bit.. The Core i7 5775C is an unlocked CPU, so i set the multiplier to 40 without adding voltage.

1. Same stuff different pile.
2. Not sure offhand..typically you disable those things. Is it working? Leave it. Want to know for sure in a more timely manner... try it... takes 20s to set it and reboot. :)

A quick read: https://hardforum.com/threads/differences-between-c1e-c3-c6-and-eist-sandy-bridge.1665742/