1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corrupted NTFS Partition Table

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ex-dohctor, May 17, 2009.

1. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 160GB drive that for some reason or another has a corrupted NTFS partition table.

The NTFS partition (about 129GB) is inaccessible, (I get an error message stating that I need to format the drive inorder to use it.) and the remaining free space is in RAW format. For some reason the normal tools will not recognize the original NTFS partition and I cannot repair/recover the partition.

Can anyone recommend any tools that they've used to repair/recover NTFS partition information?

Part of me is thinking of just formatting the drive and then trying to recover what I can through recovery software.

Any idea's?

2. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to recover data from this drive:
    1./ DO NOT REFORMAT IT!
    2./ Unplug it from the PC, you must not "boot" to this drive
    3./ Plug it in to another working computer, as a secondary drive
    4./ Use tools like www.recuva.com or SEARCH THIS FORUM... the topic has been covered many times before

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks mate.

Currently it is a secondary drive in my file/print server. I stopped trying to fiddle with it this morning as I didn't want to risk the data.

I'll try this software you've suggested tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

4. ex-dohctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, looks like GetDataBack for NTFS will be able to recover my files. Woohoo!

Now, does anyone know of any good diagnostic software that I could scan the drive with to determine what the problem was?

I am thinking of doing a full low level format on the disc once my data has been fully recovered and moved onto my file server.

Any advice would be appreciated.