• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR Announces Compatibility for NVIDIA 40-Series Graphics Cards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
CORSAIR, a world leader in enthusiast components for gamers, creators, and PC builders, today announced the wide ranging compatibility of its array of PC components with NVIDIA's newly announced 40-series graphics cards, including the revolutionary RTX 4090. From power supplies able to drive the world's most powerful gaming systems, to stylish and capable gaming cases and a huge array of cooling options and accessories, CORSAIR offers the hardware to power, house, and cool the world's most powerful graphics cards - the way they were meant to be.

The newly announced NVIDIA RTX 4090 promises a huge leap in performance, and the great news for PC enthusiasts is that CORSAIR's existing power supply lineup is already fully compatible with the new NVIDIA 40-series. While the RTX 4090 uses a new 12+4 pin 12VHPWR power connector, all cards will ship with a PCI-e 8-pin power to 12VHPWR adapter. There's no need to wait for future PSUs to support Intel's new ATX 3.0 standard and CORSAIR's power supplies already provide the needed reliability and quality components to support the higher power needs of the next generation of PC hardware. Whether it's an RM1000 that's seen many builds, or a brand new HX1500i, you can depend on your CORSAIR PSU to power your graphics cards into the future.

Additionally, customers can now order official CORSAIR 12VHPWR 600 W cables compatible with all CORSAIR type-4 PSUs, connecting directly to the PSU via the existing PSU-side connectors for unfettered power straight for your new graphics card - no PCIe adapter required. With sense-wires configured to 600 W, your graphics card will know it's able to draw its maximum power load.

For those looking to start this new generation of PC hardware with an entirely new build, CORSAIR has an incredible range of multi-award winning, industry leading PC components around which to build your next PC. Whether it's a case to house your build in style with plentiful cooling such as the stunning iCUE 5000T RGB, a CPU cooler to envy such as the H150i ELITE LCD, or high-performance state-of-the-art DDR5 memory, CORSAIR has the hardware to complete your build and push its performance to the maximum.

The Hydro X Series XG7 4090 FE total-conversion waterblock will be available in November 2022.

For those who see stock as the starting point, CORSAIR is also readying a complete range of Hydro X Series XG7 total-conversion waterblocks for the new NVIDIA 40-series graphics cards. Nickel-plated copper contact plates, high-density cooling fins, and a full-coverage aluminium back plate help turn to squeeze every drop of performance from NVIDIA's new performance powerhouses, while a transparent acrylic top plate and integrated RGB lighting powered by iCUE software up the style stakes. Available in early November for Founders Edition RTX 4090 cards, Hydro X XG7 series waterblocks unlock the full potential of NVIDIA's best when combined with a full CORSAIR Hydro X watercooling kit such as the XH305i RGB PRO.

Availability and Compatibility
The official CORSAIR 12VHPWR 600 W PSU cable is available to order immediately from the CORSAIR webstore. Orders will ship beginning September 29th.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Zabanya
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Asus X570 Strix-E
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2x 16 GB G Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Seagate Firecuda 520 2 TB, , 2x 18 TB, 3x 20 TB = total 88,71 TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850, LG C1 55 OLED
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX NR-646, RHA L1 DACAMP, Sennheiser HD-599
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Mouse Roccat Kone XP
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
revolutionary RTX 4090? you means its revolutionary power draw and revolutionary large cooler?

vatcar

Maybe OP can explain this to me. So pci-e slot gives you a maximum of 75W. This adapter uses power slot's from PSU witch are supposed to be 150W each. So 75w+150W+150W= 375W
Even a 3080ti have 3 power ports (450W+75W)
How can i draw 660W from this cable to GPU?

Last edited:
What would be the difference between the Corsair cable and the one that comes with Nvidia's RTX 4090, for example? Because let's assume that the Nvidia cable is not bad either, right?

System Name Incomplete thing 1.0
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard B450 Aorus Elite
Cooling Gelid Phantom Black
Memory HyperX Fury RGB 3200 CL16 16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 2060 Gaming OC PRO
Storage Dual 1TB 970evo
Display(s) AOC G2U 1440p 144hz, HP e232
Case CM mb511 RGB
Audio Device(s) Reloop ADM-4
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM-600
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Sharkoon SGK3 Blue
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2-5% over stock scores
What would be the difference between the Corsair cable and the one that comes with Nvidia's RTX 4090, for example? Because let's assume that the Nvidia cable is not bad either, right?
Looks first of all, and probably on the same quality as the rest of their cables.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
This is a cable, not an adapter. The new cards will have an adapter included, not a cable. If your question is whats the difference between an adapter and a cable, well the cable that corsair is advertising here is one that starts from your psu and goes directly into your gpu.

Maybe OP can explain this to me. So pci-e slot gives you a maximum of 75W. This adapter uses power slot's from PSU witch are supposed to be 150W each. So 75w+150W+150W= 375W
Readed on Reddit: The connector end on the PSU is rated for more. On corsair type 4 PSUs the PCIe connector and CPU connector are interchangeable on the PSU side, and the 8 pin for CPU can push up to something like 400w per connector.

This is a cable, not an adapter. The new cards will have an adapter included, not a cable. If your question is whats the difference between an adapter and a cable, well the cable that corsair is advertising here is one that starts from your psu and goes directly into your gpu.
Yes, you are absolutely right :)

This is not 150W 8-pin, this is the PSU socket 8-pin, the one that you connect your 2x8-pin cable to. It is 300W in theory, and multiple times that in reality for good PSUs.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
So, a CPU cable (300W) in place of a common 8 pin cable (150W)? Sorry my maths is bad, but does that mean 2 CPU cables give 600W to a GPU? It's not clear to me if this is true why these upgraded cables are not more common. Why is this not something offered by other PSU manufacturers?

In any event, two or more cables look ugly IMO. The community needs to embrace the single connector for modern PSUs.

So, a CPU cable (300W) in place of a common 8 pin cable (150W)? Sorry my maths is bad, but does that mean 2 CPU cables give 600W to a GPU? It's not clear to me if this is true why these upgraded cables are not more common. Why is this not something offered by other PSU manufacturers?

In any event, two or more cables look ugly IMO. The community needs to embrace the single connector for modern PSUs.
Because not all PSU's have the CPU and PCI-e cables interchangeable. In the other hand, not all PSU's have the Corsair quality.

you can get 600w with only 2 wires
if a psu has only one rail it can deliver all its power in a single 8 pin connector
good ones are wired with 1,5 mm2 (16 awg) that its more than enough
i dont know max wattage for the connector, but i dont think that 600w are a problem for a well built connector

System Name Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450i Gaming ITX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 3200 (OC-3600 CL 16)
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3070 UC3 GAMING ULTRA 8G
Storage Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) AOC AGON AG271QX 27" LED 1440p 144hz
Case Phanteks Entoo Evolv ITX
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Patriot Viper V760
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
I call Bullocks on Corsair for this announcement and I hope I'm wrong.

1. The ATX 3.0 standard requires a PSU to handle a 2x total Power Excursion (PE) and 3x GPU Power Excursion to meet the standard. Corsair has simply suggested purchasing an overpowered PSU (RM1000 & HX1500i) instead of purchasing a PSU that is rated for the new standard.

2. "With sense-wires configured to 600 W, your graphics card will know it's able to draw its maximum power load." It might just be a Photoshop oopsie but looking at the image of the PSU cable, there are no wires connected to the 4pin portion of the 12+6 connector. There are no sense-wires. Maybe I'm missing something but from that image, the max power draw would be 300W (150W+150W).

Again, I'm hoping I'm wrong or missing something and someone here can turn the light on for me.

1. The ATX 3.0 standard requires a PSU to handle a 2x total Power Excursion (PE) and 3x GPU Power Excursion to meet the standard. Corsair has simply suggested purchasing an overpowered PSU (RM1000 & HX1500i) instead of purchasing a PSU that is rated for the new standard.

2. "With sense-wires configured to 600 W, your graphics card will know it's able to draw its maximum power load." It might just be a Photoshop oopsie but looking at the image of the PSU cable, there are no wires connected to the 4pin portion of the 12+6 connector. There are no sense-wires. Maybe I'm missing something but from that image, the max power draw would be 300W (150W+150W).

Again, I'm hoping I'm wrong or missing something and someone here can turn the light on for me.
the rm1000 its a single rail unit it can delivery more that 600w with a single 8 pin connection.

This is not 150W 8-pin, this is the PSU socket 8-pin, the one that you connect your 2x8-pin cable to. It is 300W in theory, and multiple times that in reality for good PSUs.
This. Well.. actually, 348W @ 11.6V, but still... more than the 12VHPWR connector is rated at (considering it's twice the number of conductors).

It's going to take a lot of time to set you straight on these points. Can I grab a couple cups of Joe first?

You mean the connector that's melting on the PSU side?

It's good practice to use separate connectors than one big one if you're going to plug into a tight space like inside a PSU shroud. For one: 8-pin has better bend radius than 12-pin. Two: current causes resistance, resistance causes heat. It's better to spread that heat across terminals that are farther apart than concentrate them into one tiny connector.

dbdarrough

This. Well.. actually, 348W @ 11.6V, but still... more than the 12VHPWR connector is rated at (considering it's twice the number of conductors).

It's going to take a lot of time to set you straight on these points. Can I grab a couple cups of Joe first?

You mean the connector that's melting on the PSU side?

It's good practice to use separate connectors than one big one if you're going to plug into a tight space like inside a PSU shroud. For one: 8-pin has better bend radius than 12-pin. Two: current causes resistance, resistance causes heat. It's better to spread that heat across terminals that are farther apart than concentrate them into one tiny connector.
So you're saying I don't need to throw away my brand new AX1600i if I get a 4090? Just buy this cable? Nice! Corsair FTW! :)

System Name Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450i Gaming ITX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 3200 (OC-3600 CL 16)
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3070 UC3 GAMING ULTRA 8G
Storage Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) AOC AGON AG271QX 27" LED 1440p 144hz
Case Phanteks Entoo Evolv ITX
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Patriot Viper V760
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Yes please. What am I not understanding?

someone mentioned that they think Corsair may be using the EPS connector at the PSU, which has an extra +12V line but then how would you plug in the Mobo since this cable uses 2x connectors? That just doesn't seem right.

It seems like JTC has the same concerns with adapters.

Yes please. What am I not understanding?

someone mentioned that they think Corsair may be using the EPS connector at the PSU, which has an extra +12V line but then how would you plug in the Mobo since this cable uses 2x connectors? That just doesn't seem right.
EPS and PCIe are the same connector. Only keyed differently. Think about that for a minute. ;-) Why would keying a connector differently make it provide more power. Why would adding two sense pins to make a 6-pin into an 8-pin suddenly double it's capability to deliver power?

JayZ has issues. Can't even do his own research.

1. Corsair made no claim that this cable has anything to do with ATX 3.0. ATX 3.0 is not PCIe 5.0. PCIe 5.0 is not ATX 3.0. PCIe 5.0's PCIe 5.0 specs are included in ATX 3.0, making it a subset. But that doesn't make them one in the same.

2. I think you meant 2+4. And there are two wires. And they're terminated to ground. Because that's how the GPU "knows" what cable you're using.

goozmaster

So I just ordered a 16 Pin Micro-Fit to 4x8-pin PCI-E Cable for NVIDIA 4090 600W from cablemod do I need all 4x8pin connectors for my hx1500i? Did I order wrong? Did I only need 2x8pin?

So I just ordered a 16 Pin Micro-Fit to 4x8-pin PCI-E Cable for NVIDIA 4090 600W from cablemod do I need all 4x8pin connectors for my hx1500i? Did I order wrong? Did I only need 2x8pin?
It depends on what they use for wire and terminals. If they use standard mini-fit jr. connectors and 18g wire, then you probably should use all four.

In talking with the Cablemod guys, they crimp a 16g wire in the 12VHPWR and then split each one into two wires after that wire comes out of the 12VHPWR. But I don't know if they're using 16g or 18g after that split, and I wouldn't want to take the chance of using half of the 8-pin connectors and putting double the load on one connector and none on another, so if it's made to use 4-pin, you should use four 8-pin.

Wired Hardware

Good question. I want to purchase this cable from CableMod as well for Corsair AX1600i. Would I need to connect all 4x8 pins? And is it safe?

dbdarrough

I just watched jonnyGURU's interview on YouTube with eTekNix. Here's the link:
It is a great explanation of why the worries about the new connector are overblown.