• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair AX 860 W

Corsair is hitting the high-end category hard with their excellent AXi and AX units. In a recent review we evaluated the AX760, which amazed us with its features and the performance it registered. Now, the time has come for its stronger sibling, the AX860, to prove its worth against our loaders.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name "Dark Wind"
Processor Sandy Bridge i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz 1.336v
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximum Gene-Z
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight w/AS5
Memory G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 1600mhz 2 x 4gig
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 670 FTW 2gig
Storage Western Digital Black Cavier 640gig AALS/ Samsung 840 Pro 256gig
Display(s) Dell U2412M / Viewsonic VX2025WM
Case Cooler Master HAF XB
Audio Device(s) SB X-fi Titanium PCI-E
Power Supply Corsair AX860 Platinum
Software Windows 7 64 bit Premium Home
Well im kicking myself in the ass now hard for ordering my AX750 directly from Corsair despite the free color sleeved cable kit their offering. Newegg is having screaming deals on Corsair PSU's as I can get the brand new AX860 for $170 after 15% off promo code, free 3 day shipping and then $20 MIR! So thats a brand spanking new PSU model with even more power and efficiency for only $150 in the end!

Screw it, just placed an order for one and i'll see what the restocking fee is for this AX750 through Corsair or i'll sell it myself and regain most of the cost. Now I think 860 watts of platinum power should power anything I could throw at it for years to come no? I passed on the 860i model cause the Corsair software has not been getting good reviews from owners of the new AXi series and it just wasn't worth the $30 premium either IMO, I have no desire to monitor or change voltages on my PSU.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
I refuse to buy anymore Corsair PSUs. Already have had three coil whining horrors now on my second coil whining AX750.

Despite a bit lower efficiency I am going for Super Flower Golden King Platinum 1000W. Just because it is so damn reliable and haven't seen a single coil whine case with it.

I have switched ALL hardware ALL softwarea nd even physical locations but no luck. Plug in any other brand PSU and there is no coil whine. Seasonic has lot of coil whining units too so I start to avoid them too.

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
I refuse to buy anymore Corsair PSUs. Already have had three coil whining horrors now on my second coil whining AX750.

Despite a bit lower efficiency I am going for Super Flower Golden King Platinum 1000W. Just because it is so damn reliable and haven't seen a single coil whine case with it.

I have switched ALL hardware ALL softwarea nd even physical locations but no luck. Plug in any other brand PSU and there is no coil whine. Seasonic has lot of coil whining units too so I start to avoid them too.

has there actually been any evidence at all proving that coil whine is anything but annoying?
I too noticed coil whine at times, had a laptop that would whine a bit at times with a specific kind of load, but i never noticed anything bad coming of it except for the noise itself.
Is anyone here able to clarify this for me? (or provide some link to some research, I couldnt really find any good source myself).

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Mouse Logitech G500s
has there actually been any evidence at all proving that coil whine is anything but annoying?
I too noticed coil whine at times, had a laptop that would whine a bit at times with a specific kind of load, but i never noticed anything bad coming of it except for the noise itself.
Is anyone here able to clarify this for me? (or provide some link to some research, I couldnt really find any good source myself).

It is just very annoying. Nothing dangerous about it.

For example it sounds like there is a bird in my PSU singing atm. Otherwise, the PSU works great. :mad:

the platforms of the new Seasonic and Flextronics based Corsairs carry many upgrades so most likely they fixed the coil whine problem that existed on some of the previous units. On all of my samples I didn't notice something anoying however coil whine depends in a significant degree on the rest of the hardware that is installed on the system.

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Mouse Logitech G500s
the platforms of the new Seasonic and Flextronics based Corsairs carry many upgrades so most likely they fixed the coil whine problem that existed on some of the previous units. On all of my samples I didn't notice something anoying however coil whine depends in a significant degree on the rest of the hardware that is installed on the system.

How long do you usually test the units? Because usually the coil whine starts after some time, like weeks or month after use. That is why none of the reviewers ever notices it. After reading Corsair forum and youtube proof the new units are still having the same problem. Any idea what possibly could cause this kind of high propability coil whine problem on Corsair based PSUs?

I am all open for suggestions but I have really tried everything to fix the problem. Always Corsair or Seasonic based unit emitting electrical noises. Take any other brand PSU, even the low quality ones, and they have no problem.

I really want the AX1200i for many reasons but I don't want to get stuck in same kind of RMA loop that I send these units to the Netherlands (at my expense) and get unit back that will squeal again after month.

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
I was never impressed by the AX850, but the 860 is incredible, what the 850 should have been. Good job corsair, but now I really wanna buy it when I have no need for it, so screw you too :p

Last edited:
How long do you usually test the units? Because usually the coil whine starts after some time, like weeks or month after use. That is why none of the reviewers ever notices it. After reading Corsair forum and youtube proof the new units are still having the same problem. Any idea what possibly could cause this kind of high propability coil whine problem on Corsair based PSUs?

I am all open for suggestions but I have really tried everything to fix the problem. Always Corsair or Seasonic based unit emitting electrical noises. Take any other brand PSU, even the low quality ones, and they have no problem.

I really want the AX1200i for many reasons but I don't want to get stuck in same kind of RMA loop that I send these units to the Netherlands (at my expense) and get unit back that will squeal again after month.

Actually you need to test it on various real systems to see if it does it and for prolonged time as you mention. Unfortunately I don't have the time neither the resources to do such tests (like all the rest reviewers).

But I have used several Seasonic PSUs in my systems in the past and I never noticed a coil whine issue. I don't know maybe I was lucky or the current systems didn't activate the coil whine issue but at least in my case I didn't notice anything strange.

I will forward this thread to SS and I am pretty sure that they will give some more input on this matter. Unfortunately I don't have a Flextronics contact to forward this topic, since you mentioned the AX1200i which is made by them and not Seasonic.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Coil whine usually doesn't affect either the PSU's or the components' operation, at least not to a measurable degree, since the resonant frequencies are typically such that they're easily damped in other components, such as capacitors and other filter coils. I believe all manufacturers are actually aware of this issue, and are doing what they can to deal with it, most of the time.

Namely, there are three ways coil whine will develop. There's "self-whine" to which every coil under the Sun is susceptible (including various types of transformers) by it's very nature, and there's resonant/induced whine, which is a byproduct of resonance between VRMs on the motherboard and/or the graphics card, and the PSU's coil(s) and/or transformer(s). Let me elaborate further:

As the current passes through a coil, it creates a magnetic field, which in turn induces a current in the coil such that it tends to cancel out the change in the initial current. So if there's a constant 1A through a coil, then it jumps to 1.1A, the change in magnetic field will induce a current of -0.1A (meaning 0.1A in the opposite direction), restoring the net flow to 1A. This is how coils remove unwanted ripple/noise from the DC output of a PSU, or a DC input into a VRM.

Both the length of the coiling wire and the coil loop diameter are parts of the inductance equation, and are a variable just like the inductance is, and not constants. Well, theoretically they are constants for a given coil when it's effective inductance is calculated, but in real world, where approximations amount to a wrong result, the coil will shrink and expand under the influence of magnetostriction.

Self-whine or coil noise can be twofold - physical and electrical.

Physically, high frequency switching used in PSUs (50-150 kHz) will make the coil vibrate (from all the rapidly succeeding shrinking and expanding) at a lesser frequency, typically from one quarter to one eight of the switching frequency. This is sometimes well inside the audible range (~20 Hz - ~20 kHz, typically 30 - 18k). The lower frequency vibrations are a consequence of the finite velocity of current (rather, electrons) and the finite speed of expansion/shrinkage propagation through the coil. Not only that, but both the wire and the core are shrinking/expanding, and at a different rate and amplitude, so until everything aligns properly (rate and speed of shape change with the rate of propagation of the deformations), there will be no audible vibrations. This is part of the story.

Electrically, as the coil loops are moving and the core changes shape, both travel inside a varying magnetic field, which causes additional self-induced currents to appear. These are mostly damped out by other filtering elements, due to their very low magnitude and their relatively high frequency, but sometimes they manage to get to an amplifier in a sound card, for example, and show up as audible noise in the sound (sub)system. Additionally, every coil is a (poor) antenna for high-frequency signals (voltage changes), and it radiates those signals out into wires and PCB traces. There they are induced back from electromagnetic emissions into current and possibly amplified as per above.

The kicker is that physical noise can (and does, in larger inductors) cause electrical noise, and vice-versa. Further, any wire or other form of conductor (like a PCB trace) is also an inductor, albeit a poor one.

Resonant whine can develop between any two oscillatory systems, which coils are all by themselves, as is practically any circuit that contains them. VRM circuits on motherboards, graphics cards, hard drives, etc. pretty much always contain at least one. In order to have an electrical oscillator, you need an inductor and a capacitor. All inductors are also (poor) capacitors, and this doesn't present a problem at low frequencies, because they "see" capacitors as open circuits. Self-capacitance is a problem at high frequencies, exactly the situations where you'd want to use coils in the first place... When two coupled coils (either connected via wires and traces or magnetically coupled, or when the EM radiation of one permeates the other) reach very similar electrical self-noise frequency, the parasitic signals they produce may be (and usually are) amplified exponentially. This can, in rare cases, actually pollute the DC input/output, and there are actual cases in practice. There are some Sirfa-made PSUs in which simply moving output wires away from a regulator coil makes the PSU output voltage significantly less noisy. I still consider this a rarity, though, and it can be solved by putting a simple EMI shield (a piece of isolated metal sheet) around the offending coil or between it and the "polluted" area.

Coil whine can be lessened to an acceptable degree with a relatively simple fix. Just dampen the physical side of it by gluing or caulking down the coil, so that it's vibrations are absorbed. Another way is changing the current/voltage frequency, which is never easy, as it affects the electrical design of the device in question, or use a different coil. This could be a coil made of different materials, or of a different size, or even a different shape. I've seen coils made in the shape of the number 8 (or the infinity sign, if you need to be geeky about it), that produce significantly less noise than standard toroidal coils. I can't say how much this would add to the price, however. And let's not forget that transformers are, in effect, simply big-ass coils, and their whiny nature is much harder to deal with...

As for why coil whine would develop in time, instead of right from the get-go, well... Perhaps the dampening glue/caulk "breaks in"? Or maybe the coils very slightly change their basic (at-rest) shape, such that their resonance pattern shifts into the audible range? Who knows, it's a very complex phenomenon.

Sorry about the wall of text. I just had nothing better to do. It might even help some :p

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
15% off on Newegg right now with another $20 off MIR. Tempted to pick one up before the sale ends. Even though it may not even be worth it to ditch my HX850, but i want fully modular so i can sleeve it individually without having to take the PSU apart to get the cables that are attached to the PSU internally. I actually like the AX860 more then the "i" version because of the San Ace fan.

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
but the AX860i is going to be less loud then the 860 on around 40~75% load right?

San Ace fan versus what?

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
but the AX860i is going to be less loud then the 860 on around 40~75% load right?

San Ace fan versus what?

The Yate Loon thats in the AX860i

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think ..
AXi - Flextronics, Non Japan Caps, Yate Loon, Software
AX - Seasonic, Japan Caps, Sanyo Denki/San Ace, No Software - winner for me

Correct???

best solution
AXw - Flextronics, Full Japan best Caps, Software mora accurate, Sanyo Denki/San Ace, moddiy srinkless single sleeve cables ;)

System Name Homelabs
The caps do look better on the AX and the fan does look better too... I'd love an opinion of someone very familiar with the internals of a PSU about his opinion on which is better

Last edited:
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
If I need to choose in shop PSU for me I would choose AX750 or AX760 without i.
For sure. But Flextronics seems make better units these days than Seasonic, but difference is if you look everything 0.2% probably. That's stupid things... With such powerfull and excellent PSU's decide favorite brand, warranty, look of unit, cables, PRICE, what is available in shop.
I was ready to give some of quality for cables and look. Because difference is like 1866 vs 2133 memory and everything above Bronze can preserve hardware from damage...

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
I must be lucky, I've never had a coil whining PSU in about 14 years....I am anal about silent computers in general, especially fan noise so I can understand its pretty horrible if it happens to you. It would drive me nuts.

I dont think corsair are more prone to have it, corsair PSUs are more common than other brands and users are more likely to be enthusiasts who notice things like coil whine. Its weird the people that had a problem with coil whine, usually had it more than once on different PSUs. It certainly is a weird phenomenon.

System Name "Dark Wind"
Processor Sandy Bridge i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz 1.336v
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximum Gene-Z
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight w/AS5
Memory G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 1600mhz 2 x 4gig
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 670 FTW 2gig
Storage Western Digital Black Cavier 640gig AALS/ Samsung 840 Pro 256gig
Display(s) Dell U2412M / Viewsonic VX2025WM
Case Cooler Master HAF XB
Audio Device(s) SB X-fi Titanium PCI-E
Power Supply Corsair AX860 Platinum
Software Windows 7 64 bit Premium Home
Parden my PSU noobness, but can someone tell what all that white goop stuff is all over the place and why it looks so sloppy done?

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Well the AXi version is digital which is completely different then analog (this PSU) in terms of the components internally. Digital is also better then analog.

System Name Chaos
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Parden my PSU noobness, but can someone tell what all that white goop stuff is all over the place and why it looks so sloppy done?

That's glue or caulk, and it's used to additionally affix components to the PCB. There are two reasons for this: Firstly, it is good practice to take the stress of holding big, heavy components off the solder, to avoid having cracked joints. In the more extreme cases, some of the bigger components could even break off during transport. Secondly, and pertaining to the hijack subject of this thread, it is used to lessen the physical noise of some components.

It is less talked about and it's far less acute than coil whine, but some capacitors tend to squeal in a similar manner to the coils' whining. They're also much easier to dampen out, though. Gluing them down does the trick nicely.

Benderos

Few moments ago I brought my new exemplar of AX860 to my home and connect it to PC. From the beginning of it's work I hear damn terrible coil whine. This noise killing my brain. I'm very sad. Going to change it on Enermax... :mad:

System Name Chaos
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Just be aware that there is literally an equal chance that your new Enermax will also suffer from coil whine as well. This is not defending Corsair - it's a fact of life. No manufacturer can guarantee their PSU will not "chirp" because the phenomenon is not something they can ever hope to fully control.

Benderos

Do you mean this is problem in single exemplar of AX860 and better for me to check another one? Because I'm really unhappy that so nice PSU got this minus with noise.

System Name Chaos
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Yes, coil whine has been shown, time and again, that it varies from unit to unit, and that even PSUs from the same production batch can act differently. A specific unit may even be dead silent in one system, and chirp like crazy in another... If it's in any way convenient for you, RMA the unit. Most manufacturers (Corsair included) acknowledge coil whine as a legitimate malfunction, and will be happy to exchange your unit for a different one. It may help if you list your configuration specs in the RMA ticket.

Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC

Only that, my friend heard coil whine when teeth numb inside. That is high pitch sound like wire cross over rugged metal.
Nothing special only KGB torture people with high pitch noise, and nothing loud only that.
RMA them until they find cause of coil whine and way to stop that once for all.
That can be reason of anxiety and other similar symptoms if you sit close to source of high frequency sound.