• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair CS Series Modular 650 W

Corsair recently added another line, the CS-M, to their rich portfolio. Today, we will evaluate the CS650M: it features compact dimensions and a semi-modular cabling design. The PSU is also 80 Plus Gold certified and has a single +12V rail that can deliver up to 51 A of current.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z87 Extreme 4
Cooling Lepa NeoIllusion RGB CPU cooler
Memory 2*4GB Patriot G2 Series RAM
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB
Storage Transcend SSD 740 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SA 300 24" Full HD
Case NZXT Phantom 530 + Bitfenix Recon fan controller
Audio Device(s) Creative SB0770 X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer MkIII 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Steelseries Apex RAW
Benchmark Scores IT WORKS
For many people high efficiency means high quality however that is not true. Also many many people thinks that Corsair always suggests better quality than other brands.

So many people will see this crap and say: OMG it is Corsair and it is 80+ Gold rated. It must be very good and such low price. I will buy two ones! However it is much better to choose High end 80 Bronze PSUs such as Corsair TX, Seasonic S12II or ect

8.6 is way too much

This psu is based on a very good and modern platform (LLC resonant converter, SR rectification etc) and performs pretty good especially in the efficiency area.

So why someone should buy an older design PSU (you mention SS S12II which is based on an outdated group regulated design) instead of this one? I would do it only to save some bucks.

In some cases high efficiency means that a number of good components was used and at least a modern design was utilized. For example you can't have Platinum efficiency with an older design. But some companies may use good caps in a Platinum PSU while others may use crappy ones in order to reduce production cost.

In this case the CS unit uses mostly Teapos which are just fine for non-Japanese caps along with polymers. I couldn't ask for Chemi Cons at this price range so I am good with Teapos. Finally its price is on the high side and it isn't low as you write on your post and an 8.6 rating is fully justified if you take a look at the performance per dollar page.

However in case someone doesn't agree with my rating he doesn't have to take it into consideration. Just look at the relative performance of the unit and the rough numbers of my measurements and you will get the picture.

System Name blackened 24/7
Processor Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GEN3
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 4 x 4Gb Corsair Vengance ddr3 1866Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 1050ti 4gb
Storage Corsair Force 3 SSD 120gb+4TB WD HD
Display(s) Acer S271HL 27" HD LED 1920x1080
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi 2 MB
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Win10 Pro
The warranty on corsair PSU is 5 years... there are also some for 7 years.. thats a good enough indication weather it PSU's has good reliability..