• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB DDR5 Memory Reaches 6400 MHz

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
CORSAIR, a world leader in enthusiast components for gamers, creators, and PC builders, today announced new kits of its acclaimed DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB DDR5 high-performance memory reaching frequencies up to a blistering 6,400 MHz. Available in kits of 2x16GB, DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 6,200 MHz and 6,400 MHz hit a new milestone with these unprecedented speeds, and are now more customizable than ever thanks to the new XMP Manager in CORSAIR iCUE software.

CORSAIR led the charge in next-generation memory with the release of DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB DDR5 and VENGEANCE DDR5 for the Intel Z690 platform earlier this year, delivering higher frequencies in greater capacities than previously possible. Now the ceiling for DDR5 performance has risen again, with DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB once more pushing the boundaries for the most powerful systems leveraging 12th Generation Intel Core Processors.

A version of CORSAIR iCUE software with XMP Manager is now available for download, offering an unparalleled level of control and customization to enthusiasts with the latest CORSAIR DDR5 memory. XMP Manager enables onboard voltage regulation of DDR5 memory through iCUE, delivering more precise, stable overclocking with custom Intel XMP 3.0 profiles that can be saved directly to the module, to easily tailor performance to specific tasks.

DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB DDR5 is designed with a bold, refined aesthetic to complement its world-class performance, illuminated by 12 ultra-bright individually addressable CAPELLIX LEDs per module and expertly constructed with beautiful forged aluminium. Its patented DHX cooling design ensures that performance is not held back even at frequencies of 6,400 MHz. As with all CORSAIR memory, DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB is backed by a limited lifetime warranty.

With the DDR5 generation, overclocking enthusiasts are smashing previous speed limits with the help of CORSAIR modules. In November, overclocker David Miller, aka mllrkllr88, set a new record level of speed for CORSAIR DDR5 memory by reaching a speed of 8,149 MT/s when cooled with liquid nitrogen.* These verified results establish CORSAIR as a top choice for overclockers looking to achieve the world's fastest frequencies. As speeds continue to increase in the DDR5 generation, CORSAIR remains on the cutting-edge of performance.

For PC enthusiasts looking to equip their newest masterpieces with nothing but the best, DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB remains in a class of its own.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Just curious, why aren’t we calling this Ghz yet? 6.4 GHz - we don’t even have cpus running that fast. No one would dare say I’ve got a 5600x running at 4200Mhz. But with memory it’s just like ehhhh… whatever.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
If it is doing so with a CAS latency of 28 or loewr then itd be interesting. Otherwise its very meh.

System Name Jedi Survivor Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus TUF B650M Plus Wifi
Cooling ThermalRight CPU Cooler
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR5-5600 CL28
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD
Display(s) MSI 32" 4K OLED 240hz Monitor
Case Asus Prime AP201
Power Supply FSP 1000W Platinum PSU
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Asus Mechanical Keyboard
Just curious, why aren’t we calling this Ghz yet? 6.4 GHz - we don’t even have cpus running that fast. No one would dare say I’ve got a 5600x running at 4200Mhz. But with memory it’s just like ehhhh… whatever.
There is no ram running at 6.4 GHz. The bus speed is half the data rate. The reason we don't say GHz is because technically the DDR rate numbers are not referring to clock speed, but Mega Transfers per second.

DDR4-3200 for example runs at 1600 MHz (bus speed or "command rate", the rate at which commands are issued), but its data rate is 3200 (3200 Mega Transfers per second). Got that? Command rate is half the data rate. The data rate is the number you usually see quoted for marketing reasons. It is called "Double Data Rate" DDR for a reason.

It's confusing to think about "Hz" because it is the inverse of time, it is easier to just think of it as time directly instead. The problem with switching back and forth is that when something increases, the inverse decreases, so it is hard to think about clearly. Inverses, just like negatives, mess up the brain.

There are also a lot of definitions that people mess up, as there are many words that are basically talking about the same thing. So bus speed, clock speed, command rate, or cycle rate, those are all related.

Transfer speed, MHz rating, DDR speed, data rate, those are all the same, and are all double the others.

Speed and time are inverses, so the transfer rate is double the cycle rate, but the transfer TIME is half the cycle TIME. I'll show that here:

So CAS latency operates on the command rate, ie the clock speed of 1600 Mhz for DDR4-3200. Take the inverse of clock speed to get the minimum time required to issue a command: 1 / 1,600,000,000 hz = 0.625 x 10 to the power -9 is 0.625 nano seconds. CAS of 14 means it takes 14 cycles to finish the command, so 14 times 0.625 nanoseconds = 8.75 nanoseconds. That's the real speed of your ram. DDR4-3200 takes 8.75 nanoseconds for a first word read command.

Do the same thing for DDR5 6400. Actual bus speed is 3200. IE everything is twice as fast as the DDR4: instead of 0.625 nanoseconds, it takes half that, or 0.3125 nano seconds to cycle. But a command like CAS (the time to get data after a read command) could take 40 cycles. We don't know, Corsair didn't even announce it, and it isn't in this article. Let's say it is 40. Then 40 * 0.3125 nanoseconds is 12.5 nano seconds.

So DDR5-6400 CAS 40 takes 12.5 nanoseconds to start reading data (the first word, to start the read), DDR4-3200 CAS 14 takes 8.75 nanoseconds to read the first word of data, so DDR4 is actually much faster at this operation in latency terms, if you are reading one word at a time. That's why you don't necessarily get faster speeds with DDR5. However even though the read latency is worse with DDR5, the data transfer rate after a command can be faster as the number of Mega transfers per second possible is now higher with DDR5. Once the read starts, you can read more data in the same amount of time. 2nd word, 3rd word, etc. Think sequential speed is higher with DDR5, but random i/o is slower. Like an SSD.

Hope this makes sense. I'm a Mathematician, not an electrical engineer, but I think I got the basics right. It is hard to explain. I wrote this to try to make English out of my understanding. I've struggled to explain it to someone before. Enjoy :)

Last edited:
It's confusing to think about "Hz" because it is the inverse of time, it is easier to just think of it as time directly instead. The problem with switching back and forth is that when something increases, the inverse decreases, so it is hard to think about clearly. Inverses, just like negatives, mess up the brain
Inverses and integers are fine, its when we start throwing in "i' or imaginary numbers that messes things up. :(

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
I think I saw 128GB are possible/happening?

There is no ram running at 6.4 GHz. The bus speed is half the data rate. The reason we don't say GHz is because technically the DDR rate numbers are not referring to clock speed, but Mega Transfers per second.

DDR4-3200 for example runs at 1600 MHz (bus speed or "command rate", the rate at which commands are issued), but its data rate is 3200 (3200 Mega Transfers per second). Got that? Command rate is half the data rate. The data rate is the number you usually see quoted for marketing reasons. It is called "Double Data Rate" DDR for a reason.

It's confusing to think about "Hz" because it is the inverse of time, it is easier to just think of it as time directly instead. The problem with switching back and forth is that when something increases, the inverse decreases, so it is hard to think about clearly. Inverses, just like negatives, mess up the brain.

There are also a lot of definitions that people mess up, as there are many words that are basically talking about the same thing. So bus speed, clock speed, command rate, or cycle rate, those are all related.

Transfer speed, MHz rating, DDR speed, data rate, those are all the same, and are all double the others.

Speed and time are inverses, so the transfer rate is double the cycle rate, but the transfer TIME is half the cycle TIME. I'll show that here:

So CAS latency operates on the command rate, ie the clock speed of 1600 Mhz for DDR4-3200. Take the inverse of clock speed to get the minimum time required to issue a command: 1 / 1,600,000,000 hz = 0.625 x 10 to the power -9 is 0.625 nano seconds. CAS of 14 means it takes 14 cycles to finish the command, so 14 times 0.625 nanoseconds = 8.75 nanoseconds. That's the real speed of your ram. DDR4-3200 takes 8.75 nanoseconds for a first word read command.

Do the same thing for DDR5 6400. Actual bus speed is 3200. IE everything is twice as fast as the DDR4: instead of 0.625 nanoseconds, it takes half that, or 0.3125 nano seconds to cycle. But a command like CAS (the time to get data after a read command) could take 40 cycles. We don't know, Corsair didn't even announce it, and it isn't in this article. Let's say it is 40. Then 40 * 0.3125 nanoseconds is 12.5 nano seconds.

So DDR5-6400 CAS 40 takes 12.5 nanoseconds to start reading data (the first word, to start the read), DDR4-3200 CAS 14 takes 8.75 nanoseconds to read the first word of data, so DDR4 is actually much faster at this operation in latency terms, if you are reading one word at a time. That's why you don't necessarily get faster speeds with DDR5. However even though the read latency is worse with DDR5, the data transfer rate after a command can be faster as the number of Mega transfers per second possible is now higher with DDR5. Once the read starts, you can read more data in the same amount of time. 2nd word, 3rd word, etc. Think sequential speed is higher with DDR5, but random i/o is slower. Like an SSD.

Hope this makes sense. I'm a Mathematician, not an electrical engineer, but I think I got the basics right. It is hard to explain. I wrote this to try to make English out of my understanding. I've struggled to explain it to someone before. Enjoy :)

That's all good and true (kudos for going in depth including latencies and all btw) but it's not really a reason to not move to the next metric prefix - giga.

Maybe it's because of the name similarity - mega hertz/mega transfers - but then again they could also say 3.2 giga hertz/giga transfers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Most likely it's a left over from the DDR1 (DDR :D) where max speeds were like 400 mhz or something

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Anyone else dislike that they moved from diffused lighting, to squares?

Most of the lighting is only visible from the side, and i find that a really weird decision

Whats DDR5 going to scale to, we going to see 64GB DIMMS?
256GB is the maximum per stick on DDR5

I assume we'll see 32GB and 64GB dimms pretty fast, but not much beyond that outside the server world

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Hope this makes sense.
For what is worth, that was pretty well explained, IMO.

Anyone else dislike that they moved from diffused lighting, to squares?

Most of the lighting is only visible from the side, and i find that a really weird decision
... I dislike RGB so to me it just looks like shuffling poop from one place to another /joke

I assume we'll see 32GB and 64GB dimms pretty fast, but not much beyond that outside the server world
Kinda feels like a bit of a stretch to see 64 GB sticks in consumer/prosumer land. Though I can definitely see 32 GB getting a bit more common.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
If it is doing so with a CAS latency of 28 or loewr then itd be interesting. Otherwise its very meh.

DDR5 does not operate like DDR4.
So cl 36 6000Mhz, stupid math would be like, ohh that's 3000 mhz cl 19, yet it produces far better latencies than that, it actually somewhat matches 4400cl18 ddr4, sooooooooooo.

6400 Cl38 would be pretty acceptable, 6400 cl36 would be amazing performance.

Dude… You went the distance on that one! Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I learned a few things. But…:D While I get that the MHz speed is really more marketing, my point still stands. If you concede that 6400MHz is the same speed as 6.4GHz and Corsair can call it 6400MHz in the press release why not say 6.4GHz?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Dude… You went the distance on that one! Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I learned a few things. But…:D While I get that the MHz speed is really more marketing, my point still stands. If you concede that 6400MHz is the same speed as 6.4GHz and Corsair can call it 6400MHz in the press release why not say 6.4GHz?
0.64THz for the win

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
For what is worth, that was pretty well explained, IMO.

... I dislike RGB so to me it just looks like shuffling poop from one place to another /joke

Kinda feels like a bit of a stretch to see 64 GB sticks in consumer/prosumer land. Though I can definitely see 32 GB getting a bit more common.
32GB already exists in DDR4 (i know, i run it) - so we know that will happen from day one, and when they feel the need for an elitist product to showcase how awesome DDR5 is, they'll double that.
256GB is the official max stick size, but if it does come out it'd be at the JEDEC minimum speeds. I can imagine some threadripper build running 12x256GB for scientific work.

May be not anytime soon.

Seems like you may find 48GB instead, if you are looking to step up from 32GB.
The sith are going to be very upset that the rule of two is broken
(although i suppose anakin only counted for half at one point...)

CAS of 14 means it takes 14 cycles to finish the command, so 14 times 0.625 nanoseconds = 8.75 nanoseconds. That's the real speed of your ram. DDR4-3200 takes 8.75 nanoseconds for a first word read command.
This is just too oversimplified. Those 8.75ns are not the real speed of your RAM. I'm not an expert either but the fact that there are like 50 memory timings should give you pause in trying to simplify too much. As a mathematician you should know that if you try to simplify some subjects too much you'll just end up giving a bad explanation of the subject. Some subjects just require a lot of knowledge and can't be broken down in a handful of sentences.

Take DDR4-3200CL14 vs DDR4-3200CL16 for example. The CL16 memory could easily outperform the CL14 memory in every single test you throw at it, even read latency tests. In fact I could completely cripple the CL14's performance without touching the clock speed or CL. According to your explanation that shouldn't be possible.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Probably those will be crappy CL42 or CL44 even.....