1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair H50 vs CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO-R120

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by guitarfreaknation, Jul 4, 2010.

1. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Pretty straight forward question, which of those is better? The ECO is 5 bucks cheaper at frys. All the H50s at my frys have been returned :wtf:

2. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    My vote goes to the ECO, works great on my wife's PII 555 BE

guitarfreaknation says thanks.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    They are about the same. Get the one you can find the best deal on.

mjkmike and guitarfreaknation say thanks.
  4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I'll recommend the H50 if you can get a new unit. I've had 3 ECO's and all 3 of them look like they've been returned (and abused). That tells me something about the quality control (or lack of) over at the CoolIT factory. Granted, others have had good experiences with CoolIT but with my experienced topped off by their notorious exploding Dominos, I'm never giving CoolIT my business again.

5. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Exploding? :eek:

Good to know.

Its only a 5 dollar difference at my local Frys. Too bad they dont have any H50s that we not returned.

6. twistedspark

twistedspark

Thanks Received:
    If I went into a store for something and there were two different brands of virtually the same thing, but there were a lot of one brand's items on the shelf and few of the other I would conclude that the one that there were fewer of was in much higher demand.
    There's usually a good reason for that.

7. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I haven't had a problem with my H50, i can't say I have used anything from coolit but corsair is a top notch brand. All the corsair stuff I have owned has been good quality.

Bear in mind the rad on the H50 is really small, its about the same thickness as a std 120mm fan. In my case this is good as it fits nicely in my Antec HTPC case.

Good luck with the choice

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    ECO, since it's cheaper. the ECO pump is also weaker and dump less heat into the loop.

H50 is NOT a Corsair product. it's designed and manufactured by Asetek, whose products are also used in some HP computers.

9. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
  10. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    That fact that its 5 bucks less doesnt really make a good argument.

Pretty controversial argument between h50 and the Eco. Alot of different opinions.

Good stuff people

11. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
  12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    The H50 is most definitely a Corsair product. It's branded by Corsair and sold by Corsair is it not? It's also manufactured and modified to meet Corsair's standards. If what you're saying applies then I can name about 5 brands of power supplies off the tip of my tongue that shouldn't be on the market because they have the same OEM.

In all honesty, the performance is just about identical BUT it depends on which company you want to give your money to. Corsair, famous for their legendary customer service and warranties, or CoolIT, famous for their flaky (and exploding) liquid cooling units?

13. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Good point. I have a Corsair PSU and I think its the best one ive used so far.

14. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pr0n has it right. The H50 is not a Corsair Cooler....

http://www.asetek.com/ look at their product list sorta strange they list an H50 isnt it?

Go with the ECO just for its superior mounting.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    You too peet? :twitch: So technically I've been scammed by Corsair because they sold me a Seasonic power supply right? :ohwell:

16. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The TX750 is not a Corsair PSU ....CWT or something similar made the unit and Corsair put their name on it. Anyone want to challenge me?

That said, I have not used either, but reports say that the H50 is more popular because it is more well known and people who have used both generally prefer the CoolIT (other than Kant). At the end of the day, I think both of them will make you happy, so it doesn't matter which one you get.

17. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Not the same concept in my eyes. We all know there are OEMs, but to say it is corsair's own product is stretching it.

Asetek has sucess with this exact unit long before Corsair nabbed it and slapped their name on it. That is what I was saying.

And to both of you, in a sense yes we all do, rebranding is something that goes far beyond PSUs and coolers. All Im saying is it doesnt take a speciality to grab a product and put your name on it for glory. CoolIT has designed thier unit from the ground up. It doesnt make it better, just that I have more respect for the little guy with a great idea over the guy who buys another companies idea.

Also the main point was a sticker doesnt insure Corsair Quality. Also you cant argue that the ECO doesnt have a much more user friendly mount than the ring concept of the H50, can you?

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Cant argue that fourstaff, what I can argue is you two use the word quality with one of the worst mounting systems of any cooler on the planet aside from push-pins;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I get it Peet, but I still think you are biased to the CoolIT because it is a product made by the company for the company, not like the "oh, good product, its mine now! *takeover* " approach. Anything with a Corsair sticker would have passed the Corsair quality management, therefore it should be at least "corsair quality". I have this nagging feeling that you have something against the H50.

20. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    The only thing they designed was the mounting system. Everything else is the exact same as the Asetek unit unless you count the rectangular pump/block casing so there's nothing revolutionary about the product.

21. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I dont, it works just as good as the ECO, I just tend to push products that are more user friendly;) Perfect example...I run a Zalman Performa cooler right now, but I dont recommend it often as the way they mount the legs isnt a good concept and required me using a dremel out of the box to get the leg mounted on one side;)

On the ECO yes, mostly all the redesign is in the head unit, but it took many years of trial and error from their previous coolers to make what in my mind is an easier product to use. To me Corsair should have taken a deeper look and made similar improvements.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Sure, it's easier than the H50 to mount but you can't say that the H50 is difficult to mount either. It took me about 5 minutes more to mount the H50 so it's hardly a big deal. Again, like their power supplies Corsair should have a solid grasp on the quality of whatever they're selling.

23. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    But again, plastic backplates and little clips for the screws to hold into doesn't scream quality to me, that's all I was knocking the H50 for. If you compare the two side by side, I personally feel the ECO is better "quality" and easier to use.

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    take a look at these links before making any choice they give some reviews links and some feed back from users. I personally would get the ECO because it looks to be a solid unit and has had little problems (so i have found) most people that buy it state they are happy with it but like everything else there are a few people that have problems. People are talking about some of the shit that CoolIt had in the past and from what i have found the ECO is much improved all around and cools better then all of there other water cooling systems(not including the TEC coolers)
    Now the h50 is tested and proven to be good but it also has it's flaws and bad units. Before this post gets much longer i am just going to give you some links to some info and let you be the judge.
    (many links and feedback in this thread)
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2041274.
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=123289(sorry i see this one has been posted already. I have too many tabs open :eek:)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You are 100% right the TX750 is not made by Corsair. I even started a thread about it a while back. But mind you CWT has to build to Corsair standards so the quality is of that of the "Corsair" name. Also the H50 is in fact made by Asetek. Same principle.

Well I can't agree with you all the way because I have never used an ECO. However I will say the H50 is nice little alternative to air cooling if you move your case around a lot. Lans and such you know. There is no heavy weight to stress the board. Performance wise they are about the same from what I have read. Nothing great. So with all that being said I would go with the cheaper one. But if both are the same price I would get the ECO as peet says its better built.