• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

corsair hx850 electric noise

marsmeadiuvat

hii everyone
i have my corsair hx850 80+planitum since 2 years and now since 2 weeks i hearing this song ( see link )
and now the song come progressively 3 or 2 times in the day (before it was 1 times for the day) im worried about the "electric noise " its coil whine ? and is dangerous or not , even if i hearing this i want just to know if my hx 850 will die or its nothing thks a lot all . ( put volume max for heard the song start 0.25 until the end )

my rig :
z390 gaming plus
2080ti palit
16gb corsair ddr4
https://vocaroo.com/1ddkRAbMrpn the song , put volume max to 0.25 until end and say me if coil whine or i need to replace this psu thsk all

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Song? Sorry, but "new member" and first post, my security sense is kicking in. I am not clicking on that link. Nothing personal.

But, to answer your question, coil whine is just annoying - it is not dangerous. You don't need to replace the PSU just because of coil whine. However, for your sanity, you might want too. The good news is, there's no hurry. You can take the time to research and maybe even wait for a good sale.

Yes, your PSU will die - eventually. But that might be tomorrow, or 6 years from now. No one can say. But I will say it is not coil whine that will kill it.

And for the record, with that hardware, you could easily get by with a quality 650W PSU.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Didnt click the link. But coil whine is normal. Its when the whine starts getting louder and your PC starts shutting off randomly when it becomes a problem. I had a Corsair HX1050 from back in the day that did this and sent it back to Corsair for RMA.

marsmeadiuvat

thks a lot for answer but i said coil whine , its really electric noise , what can i do for you hear the reccord , i want just be sur its not dangerous , so how i can prove to you the link are safe ? thks

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
There is no real thing as "electric noise". That is just a general term for all sorts of different noises created by electronics. These can include low frequency hums, to ticking, to high frequency whines, to arcing noises, zaps, sizzles - whatever.

Even if this PSU was sitting on our work benches in front of us, unless we could see sparks coming out of it, there would be no way to conclusively say it is 100% safe.

I would not say whine is "normal" because electronics at these voltage and current levels "should" be totally silent - except for cooling fan noise. But coil (and transformer) whine is quite common. And as I said above, annoying - but not dangerous.

But for sure, if you are worried about it, replace it and save this Corsair for an emergency spare/test PSU. You could also get yourself a decent PSU Tester. This will NOT tell you the PSU is safe. Nor will it conclusively tell you the PSU 100% good. But it will tell you if the output voltages at that load level are within the allowed ±5% tolerance levels. And if they are, that would be a pretty good indication the PSU is working fine.

Is your computer working fine other wise? Or are you having problems with it locking up, shutting down or rebooting unexpectedly?

As for what you can do to prove that link is safe, contribute a 1000 posts and spend a few years here so we can get to know you better. Again, its nothing personal.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Recording method was horrible. It is hard to hear anything past the fan noise and the occasional movement crackle. Even with my PC at 100% volume (through a home stereo and speakers), I could say I hear a bit of a "grinding" noise, but I can't even be sure what it is I am calling grinding either.

marsmeadiuvat

thks a lot for answer ,
everything works except for this noise , who appeared since 2 weeks and thats why im worried

Recording method was horrible. It is hard to hear anything past the fan noise and the occasional movement crackle. Even with my PC at 100% volume (through a home stereo and speakers), I could say I hear a bit of a "grinding" noise, but I can't even be sure what it is I am calling grinding either.
to 0.25 we hearing the noise but ok if is coil whine its harmless thks for your answer

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
As it happens, one of the two machines I refurbed today had an HX-650 in it and the PSU did have coil whine.

All I was doing was replacing fans - but this was a Haswell build so probably a 2014 variant of the Corsiar HX

marsmeadiuvat

mhhhh i mounted the psu face up and the fan spinning with 0 noise , do you think i need to replace it ?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
As I said, "grinding".... Could be a wire was tapping against a fan blade, and inverting it moved the wire away from the fan. Could also be a fan bearing, as orientation would make something like that go away too.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
So those PSUs have a clear plastic shroud covering about half of the fan to promote airflow across all of the PSU's heatsinks.

If it's quiet in a fan-up orientation with the plastic shroud hanging down from the fan blades, it's possible this has just warped a bit in the heat and is catching the blades slightly.

Not sure on your version but those plastic shrouds can melt and drop in PSUs with a semi-passive operation

1596052252502.png

If you're going to open your PSU up to check, be very careful. You can get a nasty shock from PSU capacitors!

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
You can rule out the fan for definite by stopping it. I mean your finger won't fit through the grille but something like a credit card will jam the fan blades for long enough to work out if it's the fan making the noise or not.

Coil whine sure is irritating but it's not really bad for the PSU.

marsmeadiuvat

soooo thks a lot bro ! thats it
i launched occt test , the fan started to spinning and after 2-3 min the noise started ! quickly i blocked the fan and suspense ..... the noise disappear !
so for sur i deblock the fan , wait 1 min and the noise restarted so im happy that its just the fan and not a component from my psu
so i change it or just replace it ? or maybe nothing the noise im not worried now i know its fan what do you think ?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
soooo thks a lot bro ! thats it
i launched occt test , the fan started to spinning and after 2-3 min the noise started ! quickly i blocked the fan and suspense ..... the noise disappear !
so for sur i deblock the fan , wait 1 min and the noise restarted so im happy that its just the fan and not a component from my psu
so i change it or just replace it ? or maybe nothing the noise im not worried now i know its fan what do you think ?
You can probably send it back under warranty if it's bothering you; I don't think a PSU fan should be audible under normal load. There are two ways a fan could be making noise, and I can't really tell from your description or recording which one it is:
  1. worn bearings (which means the fan must be replaced)
  2. something else being caught by the fan blades as they spin (cable or that plastic air guide)
If you're not willing to send it off for RMA you could open it up to try and work out what's getting in the way of the fan. Replacing a PSU fan is more complicated because they're usually soldered on rather than using a convenient 3-pin header.

If you don't understand which parts in a PSU hold charge (even when it's unplugged) then I wouldn't recommend opening your PSU at all. The electric shocks you can get from the capacitors are genuinely dangerous.

marsmeadiuvat

thks a lot , so if i rma i will be without pc .... for maybe 1 weeks so i think i will keep like this furthermore my psu is warrantly for 7 years
as long as its not dangerous its good
thks

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
thks a lot , so if i rma i will be without pc .... for maybe 1 weeks so i think i will keep like this furthermore my psu is warrantly for 7 years
as long as its not dangerous its good
thks

This is not the best thinking if you are afraid staying with out computer.
The PSU can go bad even from mains power line incident, instant over-voltage due bad weather.
Such accidents are not covered by warranty.
Best approach this is having and a spare PSU among with protection due uninterruptible power supply.

marsmeadiuvat

This is not the best thinking if you are afraid staying with out computer.
The PSU can go bad even from mains power line incident, instant over-voltage due bad weather.
Such accidents are not covered by warranty.
Best approach this is having and a spare PSU among with protection due uninterruptible power supply.
thks but its just the fan noise , the psu have 0 problems i need really to change it ?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
i need really to change it ?
No. At least not immediately. The problem is there is no way of knowing when or if problems will arise. It could last days or many years! However ALL motors eventually fail - if kept in service long enough.

But fan noise (assuming the blades are not hitting anything) typically indicate flawed and/or worn bearings. Flawed bearings wear faster and worn bearings will keep wearing. Eventually, one of 3 things will happen. (1) The fan motor will fly apart (very rare). (2) The bearings will start to seize and the fan will slow down or even stop causing the PSU to overheat and [hopefully] shutdown to protect itself. Or (3), you will get so fed up with the fan noise, you will replace the PSU and just keep the noisy one for a test/spare PSU. I recommend #3 - before #1 or #2 occur.

marsmeadiuvat

okk thks , for this moment i limited the power limit of my gpu and now my psu fan not spinning because she is less used so no noise ... but thks for advise i will see after summer maybe the temp , if always noise i change it . i think its not the blade hitting something because the noise comes after 2-3 min that the fan spinning so he is silent for 2-3 min , if it was blade hit the noise start when the fan spinning ad not after 2-3 min youre right for the "2" its bearing i think

System Name BORG
Processor AMD RYZEN 3 3300X
Motherboard MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Cooling NH-U14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill FlareX 3200 Mhz cas 14
Video Card(s) Asus Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 512 GB + 512 GB Samsung 840Evo
Display(s) Samsung T27D590CW
Case NZXT H200 black/red, Glass window, Mini-ITX
Audio Device(s) Integrated audio
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-650FX FOCUS Plus Gold 650W (80+Gold, ATX 12V)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX board 3.0, Blue switches
Software Win 10
Got somewhat a similar issue, with the exception that I've purchased my Corsair HX850 Power Supply — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold in 2013, and the warranty is 7 years. Long story short I've managed to replace my aging 1080 with a 3090 and once I've started the system a loud coil whine appeared. Previously the psu was dead silent. I thought it is the new video card, listened carefully and decided to swap back to the 1080. And as I was afraid of, the new 3090 completely broke the 8 years old psu. Now I have a permanent coil whine from the psu ... so I suppose a new one is in order :)