• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR Hydro X Series XD5 Pump/Reservoir Combo

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
We add to our detailed coverage of CORSAIR's Hydro X series of custom watercooling products with their XD5 pump/reservoir combo unit. It uses the ever-reliable Xylem D5 PWM pump paired to a polished nylon reservoir and continues the trend of a user-friendly installation and rich feature set for the money.

Show full review

Last edited:
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Watercooling.de parts are rear moment in IT World where we can pay products build in Germany and their quality instead of Asian.
I want to use that chance in future.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
I wish you'd show the pumps at say 30-50%. I have a pair of MCP50X pumps and at 25-30% they are almost dead silent while pushing around 120LPH. Though 840mm of higher restriction radiators, cpu block, VRM block, chipset block, a rather restrictive filter and I'm running it through 3/8" and 1/4" ID tubing.

Watercooling.de parts are rear moment in IT World where we can pay products build in Germany and their quality instead of Asian.
I want to use that chance in future.

Watercooling.de cheesed me off, they refuse to release any kind of flow restriction information. Half of there stuff requires machining to fit, and they charge German prices. They do have some really nice parts though and the machining quality is really nice. I have parts from them, so I'm not baseless hating.

I'm a bit disappointed with EKWB, the machining on their supposedly high end parts leaves much to be desired. Honestly the Byski and Barrow parts come nicer. I contacted EK, and they told me that aluminium dust, sharp lips, thin anodizing are all normal. The problems, I have are from worn out cutters being used and the feed rate being set way too high. Like the slot plate the screw holes for the display ports, aren't counter sunk, it just looks cheap and crappy because the screws stick out.

Really disillusioned with the quality.

Nice to see another nylon reservoir vs. the crack-prone acrylic ones. Looks decent overall, if a bit expensive.

As a side note, it would be nice if someone come out with a series of cases that have specific areas for placing tube reservoirs, preferably using some sort standard mounting mechanism/dimensions, instead of using fan mount adapters or having to drill your own holes.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Oh and I forgot to mention the big claim to fame with the Aquero 6 is that it's able to control D5 PWM pumps.

Nice to see another nylon reservoir vs. the crack-prone acrylic ones. Looks decent overall, if a bit expensive.

As a side note, it would be nice if someone come out with a series of cases that have specific areas for placing tube reservoirs, preferably using some sort standard mounting mechanism/dimensions, instead of using fan mount adapters or having to drill your own holes.

That would be great since they are killing off the 5.25" bays, that I normally use for mounting reservoirs.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I wish you'd show the pumps at say 30-50%. I have a pair of MCP50X pumps and at 25-30% they are almost dead silent while pushing around 120LPH. Though 840mm of higher restriction radiators, cpu block, VRM block, chipset block, a rather restrictive filter and I'm running it through 3/8" and 1/4" ID tubing.

Watercooling.de cheesed me off, they refuse to release any kind of flow restriction information. Half of there stuff requires machining to fit, and they charge German prices. They do have some really nice parts though and the machining quality is really nice. I have parts from them, so I'm not baseless hating.

I'm a bit disappointed with EKWB, the machining on their supposedly high end parts leaves much to be desired. Honestly the Byski and Barrow parts come nicer. I contacted EK, and they told me that aluminium dust, sharp lips, thin anodizing are all normal. The problems, I have are from worn out cutters being used and the feed rate being set way too high. Like the slot plate the screw holes for the display ports, aren't counter sunk, it just looks cheap and crappy because the screws stick out.

Really disillusioned with the quality.

Yeah, the highest quality products are usually made in the first 1% or less of the dies/tooling life, second rate products are made in the 2%-5% area, and your crappy products are made in the 5% or worse area. There's no excuse for burrs, filings, etc being in any product. I've been metal working, welding, machining, etc professionally for years, and any manufacturer with decent QC will wash/bathe their machined products in solution to remove oils, lubricants and filings and then place them in a vibrator/tumbler with ceramic agitators to deburr, it only takes a few minutes. There's no excuse for EK not to do this, especially for the astronomical prices they charge.

I've never understood the popularity of Ekwb products, they're nothing special. 8 honestly believe that "enthusiasts" too lazy to do some research just assume they're the best because their products are used in 8 of 10 builds on the internet (which bores the hell out of me when I see it BTW). EKWB = the Best has become a perpetuated myth at this point.

Personally I've always preferred Watercool's products, but in recent years, Bykski and Barrow are making just as good, if not better products, and if you purchase them of aliexpress like I do, you literally get them at half the price of domestic retailers like modmymods and performances.com (whom I guarantee just buy their stock off aliexpress and multiply the cost X2.) I've come to realize that the majority of PC "enthusiasts" are very ignorant in that, for example, they are completely unaware a product exists unless a PC brand like corsair or Phanteks slaps their label on it. For example, take addressable LEDs, no matter what IC you're looking for (WS2182B, AP102, SK6812, etc) you can literally purchase them at a quarter of the price of LEDs sold by corsair or other PC brands and better yet, they come with the LED industry standard 3 pin JST connector instead of these stupid proprietary connectors that corsair uses to lock you into an ecosystem (don't even get me started on the idiocy of Asus using that damn 4 minus 1 pin =3 pin connector for their addressable headers that for some unknown reason the rest of the motherboard manufacturers adopted. Why not just use a standard 3 pin jst connector?) Or those flexible neon addressable LEDs that phanteks just released, they've been available in various diameters for a fraction of the price for years, but then all these enthusiasts think phanteks reinvented the wheel by simply slapping their label on it. It just frustrates me when people reward these companies and their insane markup by being too lazy to take five minutes to do some research.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Yeah, the highest quality products are usually made in the first 1% or less of the dies/tooling life, second rate products are made in the 2%-5% area, and your crappy products are made in the 5% or worse area. There's no excuse for burrs, filings, etc being in any product. I've been metal working, welding, machining, etc professionally for years, and any manufacturer with decent QC will wash/bathe their machined products in solution to remove oils, lubricants and filings and then place them in a vibrator/tumbler with ceramic agitators to deburr, it only takes a few minutes. There's no excuse for EK not to do this, especially for the astronomical prices they charge.

I've never understood the popularity of Ekwb products, they're nothing special. 8 honestly believe that "enthusiasts" too lazy to do some research just assume they're the best because their products are used in 8 of 10 builds on the internet (which bores the hell out of me when I see it BTW). EKWB = the Best has become a perpetuated myth at this point.

Personally I've always preferred Watercool's products, but in recent years, Bykski and Barrow are making just as good, if not better products, and if you purchase them of aliexpress like I do, you literally get them at half the price of domestic retailers like modmymods and performances.com (whom I guarantee just buy their stock off aliexpress and multiply the cost X2.) I've come to realize that the majority of PC "enthusiasts" are very ignorant in that, for example, they are completely unaware a product exists unless a PC brand like corsair or Phanteks slaps their label on it. For example, take addressable LEDs, no matter what IC you're looking for (WS2182B, AP102, SK6812, etc) you can literally purchase them at a quarter of the price of LEDs sold by corsair or other PC brands and better yet, they come with the LED industry standard 3 pin JST connector instead of these stupid proprietary connectors that corsair uses to lock you into an ecosystem (don't even get me started on the idiocy of Asus using that damn 4 minus 1 pin =3 pin connector for their addressable headers that for some unknown reason the rest of the motherboard manufacturers adopted. Why not just use a standard 3 pin jst connector?) Or those flexible neon addressable LEDs that phanteks just released, they've been available in various diameters for a fraction of the price for years, but then all these enthusiasts think phanteks reinvented the wheel by simply slapping their label on it. It just frustrates me when people reward these companies and their insane markup by being too lazy to take five minutes to do some research.

EKWB does seem to demand an undeserved premium at this point. I mean look at the original Threadripper blocks, they stretched the default block rushed it out the door, and it's performance was horrendous.

I thought EK can't be that bad... all companies make mistakes, but... yeah, this V2 block is nasty. You can see faults in the plating in the flow path, but you can't open to check because if you crack the seal, it's bye bye warranty.

Oh and how cheap, they don't include directions in the box... the one positive thing I will say is that EK included a bunch of extra screws with both the block and the back plate.

I honestly wish I would have gone with reccomending the Bitspower block.

As for Barrow and Byski, I have been very impressed with their products. I also bought them through other channels. Every fitting in my personal loop is made by them.

I'm still angry at Koolance for not disclosing the use of aluminium in certain parts.

Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard MSI Meg Ace X570
Cooling Custom open loop with three 360mm radiators
Memory 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Two Water cooled EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpins with Optimus water blocks
Storage Sabrent PCIE 4.0 1TB NVMe, XPG SX8100 4TB NVMe, Micron 1100 2TB, and Hitachi Deskstar NAS 8TB
Display(s) Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 and LG 27UD68-W 4K
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Power Supply BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/64094981
I replaced my Corsair XD5 pump with an EKWB D5 pump because the EKWB D5 pump matched the all black theme of my build better and I was going to use the Corsair XD5 pump in another build.

I checked performance before and after with Prime95, AIDA64,a nd Intel Burn Test to see if everything was working properly. My CPU temperature dropped between 6C and 8C depending on the test ran.

EK specs give 1500l/min at 3.9m head pressure
Corsair for the same pump states 800l/min at 2.1m head pressure.

It looks like the Corsair XD5 is inadequate in flow or head pressure for 2 GPUs and an Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU block.