• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR Hydro X Series XG7 RGB 10-SERIES GPU Water Block

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Continuing our coverage of CORSAIR's Hydro X custom water cooling products, we take a look at the XG7 RGB GPU water block. It features integrated dRGB lighting, a flow indicator, backplate, and pre-applied thermal pads and paste. Pricing is solid, offering good value for your money.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Wow nothing like greasing the wheels with that kit! I'm not trying to imply there is any bias, just saying when something like that shows up I'm sure it motivates you to open it up and mess around with it. I know I would.

That being said, I wish I had the dough to do a custom loop! Maybe I will spend next years upgrade fund on it. That is going to depend a lot on what the video card market looks like then...

Nice job as always...

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Wow nothing like greasing the wheels with that kit! I'm not trying to imply there is any bias, just saying when something like that shows up I'm sure it motivates you to open it up and mess around with it. I know I would.

That being said, I wish I had the dough to do a custom loop! Maybe I will spend next years upgrade fund on it. That is going to depend a lot on what the video card market looks like then...

Nice job as always...

Hah actually what it does is make me think about where I have space to put it.

Who is the OEM manufacturer of this Block?

Blocks are their (CORSAIR) own thing, that's where the ex-EK guys come in for the engineering and design.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Benchmark Scores Nope
Hah actually what it does is make me think about where I have space to put it.
I'd be figuring out where to display it!

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
In my book that's a decent start for Corsair , although as mentioned in the review for a '' value '' oriented product well ..... value ( perf/dollars ) is average at best . Quality review as always !

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I'd be figuring out where to display it!

After a while things just pile up, so it's comes down to most efficient packing and storage :D

In my book that's a decent start for Corsair , although as mentioned in the review for a '' value '' oriented product well ..... value ( perf/dollars ) is average at best . Quality review as always !

That's not the best chart to be honest, as explained in the final page. Prices for water blocks have increased a lot in the last 2-3 years, so comparing this new block for an older GPU with older blocks kinda puts it in a negative light. I tried to expand further on this in the conclusion section to help make more sense.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I cannot stand how PC brands just can't use the addressable LED industry's 3 pin JST connector which is industry standard. Instead, like this corsair product, they have to use proprietary connectors just for the nefarious reason on locking you into an ecosystem where, for example, a 30 inch, 30 led per meter corsair branded strip costs $40 while I could go on aliexpress and buy a ws2812b or an even newer ap102 addressable strip with 60 or 90 leds per meter that is 1 meter long for $15. Or how for some reason, PC branded controllers cost $50 and can only control 150 pixels while I could buy a generic controller, again off aliexpress l, than can control 2048 pixels for $10.

It's just like how Asus made the addressable header on their motherboards that ridiculous 4 minus 1 (=3) pin header instead of the ubiquitous 3 pin JST connector and somehow its become something of an PC brand standard that's now been copied by other mobo and accessory manufacturers. That's why I have my PC lighted with generic addressable LED strips controlled by a digital, generic controller that is programmed with open source software and is powered by my PSU with a sata power connector I soldered myself. I can control and power 4096 pixels with it, rewired my fans to be controlled by it, and now I have my own fully integrated ecosystem that cost a tenth of the price of something like NZXTs hue+....

... Sorry for the rant, but it's true

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I cannot stand how PC brands just can't use the addressable LED industry's 3 pin JST connector which is industry standard. Instead, like this corsair product, they have to use proprietary connectors just for the nefarious reason on locking you into an ecosystem where, for example, a 30 inch, 30 led per meter corsair branded strip costs $40 while I could go on aliexpress and buy a ws2812b or an even newer ap102 addressable strip with 60 or 90 leds per meter that is 1 meter long for $15. Or how for some reason, PC branded controllers cost $50 and can only control 150 pixels while I could buy a generic controller, again off aliexpress l, than can control 2048 pixels for $10.

It's just like how Asus made the addressable header on their motherboards that ridiculous 4 minus 1 (=3) pin header instead of the ubiquitous 3 pin JST connector and somehow its become something of an PC brand standard that's now been copied by other mobo and accessory manufacturers. That's why I have my PC lighted with generic addressable LED strips controlled by a digital, generic controller that is programmed with open source software and is powered by my PSU with a sata power connector I soldered myself. I can control and power 4096 pixels with it, rewired my fans to be controlled by it, and now I have my own fully integrated ecosystem that cost a tenth of the price of something like NZXTs hue+....

... Sorry for the rant, but it's true

Nothing to be sorry for, feedback is always something that companies should appreciate and be aware of.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
To this product can not be added the name of a block! Consisting of inconsistent materials, broken slots worth about $ 30 max. Do not buy these garbage and I resent this kind of support for such a poor product with an unworthy rating !! Copper blocks are much more efficient and I personally use them. GPU temperatures, however, stick around 15 to 17 degrees celsium above liquid temperature max in SLI conf. The impact of advertising is very noticeable in this review. deliberate support for a bad product. Be wise and don't buy this garbage for the money . You get the right block for that money !

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
To this product can not be added the name of a block! Consisting of inconsistent materials, broken slots worth about $ 30 max. Do not buy these garbage and I resent this kind of support for such a poor product with an unworthy rating !! Copper blocks are much more efficient and I personally use them. GPU temperatures, however, stick around 15 to 17 degrees celsium above liquid temperature max in SLI conf. The impact of advertising is very noticeable in this review. deliberate support for a bad product. Be wise and don't buy this garbage for the money . You get the right block for that money !

I am sure the language barrier is playing a role here, but this is a copper block (nickel-plated copper) so I am not sure what this particular rant is on about.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
another unwanted ranting where he/she has never tested the product but judging them from mere pictures. Get a life, slime. Also, if Corsair's proprietary connectors is bad for you, go for those generic RGB LED standards & compare how "great" they are when the quality of the bulbs, controllers etc are still inferior compare to Corsair's.

System Name Battlestation
Processor intel i9 9900K
Motherboard EVGA Z370 FTW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2X8 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Founders Edition
Storage Western Digital SN850 1 TB NVME
Display(s) Asus PG248Q
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis pro
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/38948601 https://i.ibb.co/1MDLrVz/apres.jpg
Thanks for the review, but it's missing key points like the radiator and fan used, their speed, if the loop was only on the GPU side, what was the water temperature.

If you used a cooling system that was not enough to remove all the W from the loop this could lead to improper results on the waterblock performance.

Also using Gelid thermal paste, even if it has good performance, can not compare to using liquid metal, thus restricting the cooling power of the waterblock.

My 1080Ti has a delta temperature of around 10°C with water staying really close to ambiant temperature. Your results are way above that, which is strange.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks for the review, but it's missing key points like the radiator and fan used, their speed, if the loop was only on the GPU side, what was the water temperature.

If you used a cooling system that was not enough to remove all the W from the loop this could lead to improper results on the waterblock performance.

Also using Gelid thermal paste, even if it has good performance, can not compare to using liquid metal, thus restricting the cooling power of the waterblock.

My 1080Ti has a delta temperature of around 10°C with water staying really close to ambiant temperature. Your results are way above that, which is strange.

The thermal performance metrics were measured as a difference of the component temperature over the coolant temperature as mentioned in the review, so the radiator/fans etc do not come into play as long as it is sufficient and prevents throttling of any kind. I made sure that was the case (Black Ice Nemesis 480 GTX with NB-eLoop fans at 1600 RPM, since you were curious), and I definitely do not advocate liquid metal on a bare PCB for the average end user. Finally, you may have missed the part where I shunt-modded the GTX 1080 and pushed more current and volts through it to compensate for the relatively smaller die, which in turn makes for a hot GPU. That way I can see better any differences between the various blocks in how well they cool.

Processor intel i9 9900K
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) Asus PG248Q
Case Phanteks P600S
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/38948601 https://i.ibb.co/1MDLrVz/apres.jpg
Thanks for your answer.

Ah yes i didn't see that it was Dt with the coolant temperature, my bad. But in some way that's even worse because the coolant temperature does not stay stable when the GPU gets hotter if the cooling is not enough so the ambiant air would actually be a better point of reference in that case.

And of course the rad/fans come into play even without throttling: if the coolant can't evacuate enough heat into the air then it becomes warmer and so the GPU gets warmer, which give false results on its real cooling capabilities.

I'm not an advocate of LM for the average end user either, but since you're an editor at TPU you're definitively not an average user and it would make your test more accurate ;)

Also my Dt was with 1.1v. With 1.2 it's pretty close to that and since it's a 1080ti its also consuming 70W more than a regular 1080. Just saying that 45°C or more for a 1080 under custom watercooling is just wrong. That's the kind of temperature you can get with an AIO system. You shouldn't be above 35°C with a proper setup.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I can pick up an AIO for my 1080 for 89 bucks where GPU OC limitation will kick in well before heat does. These blocks are not a very good value at all.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks for your answer.

Ah yes i didn't see that it was Dt with the coolant temperature, my bad. But in some way that's even worse because the coolant temperature does not stay stable when the GPU gets hotter if the cooling is not enough so the ambiant air would actually be a better point of reference in that case.

And of course the rad/fans come into play even without throttling: if the coolant can't evacuate enough heat into the air then it becomes warmer and so the GPU gets warmer, which give false results on its real cooling capabilities.

I'm not an advocate of LM for the average end user either, but since you're an editor at TPU you're definitively not an average user and it would make your test more accurate ;)

Also my Dt was with 1.1v. With 1.2 it's pretty close to that and since it's a 1080ti its also consuming 70W more than a regular 1080. Just saying that 45°C or more for a 1080 under custom watercooling is just wrong. That's the kind of temperature you can get with an AIO system. You shouldn't be above 35°C with a proper setup.

Of course, and I use an environmental chamber with set point and steady state monitoring to keep variables as uniform as possible. There is no perfect solution, even fan speeds and clock bins vary over time but averaged out pretty well.

It's more than 1.2V, that's just the set value on Precision X before the shunt mod. I wasn't sure if I should be advertising it in the graphs at the time of the first review but now it doesn't matter anyway. My sample is also one of the most inefficient ones I've seen, but that's kinda what I wanted for thermal testing.

I've tested some blocks on a reference 1080 Ti as-is and the dT values are pretty much in range of expectations, including your own values.

Processor intel i9 9900K
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) Asus PG248Q
Case Phanteks P600S
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I can pick up an AIO for my 1080 for 89 bucks where GPU OC limitation will kick in well before heat does. These blocks are not a very good value at all.

You're wrong. The OC limitation on pascal cards (10xx series) is mainly due to their temperature. So with a 1080 card running at around 50°C you'll never get near the frequency that you could reach with one of these blocks and a proper custom watercooling.

My oced 1080ti starts freezing when temperature gets above 37°C, which you can never get with an AIO.

There is no perfect solution

Of course not, but if you can i suggest you include more rads in your loop. I have a phobya 1260 rad with 9x140mm fans with high static pressure and even with that i think if i added a second one it would probably yield even better results.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
You're wrong. The OC limitation on pascal cards (10xx series) is mainly due to their temperature. So with a 1080 card running at around 50°C you'll never get near the frequency that you could reach with one of these blocks and a proper custom watercooling.

My oced 1080ti starts freezing when temperature gets above 37°C, which you can never get with an AIO.

Of course not, but if you can i suggest you include more rads in your loop. I have a phobya 1260 rad with 9x140mm fans with high static pressure and even with that i think if i added a second one it would probably yield even better results.
There is a point of diminishing returns... 9x140mm has squarely crossed that threshold for quite a bit.

37C??? Your card freezes where an air cooled card sits in idle??

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
I have two issues with that block... the flow wheel you'll never see. Just a needless cost adder, due to parts, machining, and design time. Imho.

As well as the separate cold plate. It just adds another leak path. It also means the massive chunk of copper on the card, can't help cool/stabilize the GPU temps.

Also, as someone who has Koolance blocks with surprise Aluminium in them... I really hope there's no aluminium anywhere in that thing.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

I'm not concerned with 50Mhz. I could add the card to my loop, but there's no point and it's a bad value.