• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE Fan

Norkris

Lol, for being the """kings of fans""" they sure make the worst motor noise I've ever heard.
P12's have some RPMs that make some noise, this is true. However, for ppl that know about this can very easily avoid this by just using RPMs that is good.
And for the best performing fan out there in black.. I would take that tradeoff

Maybe if Arctic ever responded to my email :)
How thick and how much/high FPI the rads in the airflow test have?
if u dont mind me asking :p

D

Deleted member 205776

P12's have some RPMs that make some noise, this is true. However, for ppl that know about this can very easily avoid this by just using RPMs that is good.
And for the best performing fan out there in black.. I would take that tradeoff
They made noise all the time. Not to mention unholy vibration.

My Silent Wings 3 have no such issue. And have no vibration either.

Norkris

They made noise all the time. Not to mention unholy vibration.

My Silent Wings 3 have no such issue. And have no vibration either.
Arctic P12? you must have been unlucky.. gotten a bad unit or something. never heard any1 say that before.

D

Deleted member 205776

Arctic P12? you must have been unlucky.. gotten a bad unit or something. never heard any1 say that before.
Both P12 PWM PST and P14 PWM PST. Lots of them. Bought for testing, 'cause I heard they're too good to be true, which was correct. I then promptly returned them. Spent some cash on three Silent Wings 3 140mm instead, which have actual, Panasonic-licensed Fluid Dynamic Bearing and not some Rifle bearing pseudo-"FDB" that the Arctics have. Worth it.

Idk if the CO double ball bearing variant is any better, but I'm not about to try. They're welcome to fix their raggedy fans first.

Norkris

Both P12 PWM PST and P14 PWM PST. Lots of them. Bought for testing, 'cause I heard they're too good to be true, which was correct. I then promptly returned them. Spent some cash on three Silent Wings 3 140mm instead, which have actual, Panasonic-licensed Fluid Dynamic Bearing and not some Rifle bearing pseudo-"FDB" that the Arctics have. Worth it.

Idk if the CO double ball bearing variant is any better, but I'm not about to try. They're welcome to fix their raggedy fans first.
What method for speeding them up and down did you use?

D

Deleted member 205776

What method for speeding them up and down did you use?
I use Argus Monitor for controlling all my fans since Ryzen spikes cause fans left on Auto to go up and down and that infuriates me considering my hearing is extremely sensitive.

These fans managed to make an irritating noise at any RPM bar for very low RPM levels (200-300) but what kind of cooling do you even get out of that anyway.

My Silent Wings 3 never made such a noise, and are quiet up until around 1200 RPM. I don't need to run them at such RPMs anyway - no improvements in temps over 900 RPM.

Norkris

I use Argus Monitor for controlling all my fans since Ryzen spikes cause fans left on Auto to go up and down and that infuriates me considering my hearing is extremely sensitive.

These fans managed to make an irritating noise at any RPM bar for very low RPM levels (200-300) but what kind of cooling do you even get out of that anyway.

My Silent Wings 3 never made such a noise, and are quiet up until around 1200 RPM. I don't need to run them at such RPMs anyway - no improvements in temps over 900 RPM.
Aha so MB control. From my testing, the p12's had a high pitch from 1100-1200 and 1550-1600.
all I need to do is to tell the Corsair cmd pro fan control to avoid those and we good.

D

Deleted member 205776

Aha so MB control. From my testing, the p12's had a high pitch from 1100-1200 and 1550-1600.
all I need to do is to tell the Corsair cmd pro fan control to avoid those and we good.
I wish my fans had high pitch only at those RPM levels which I would end up not even using as I stay under 900 RPM. Too bad they had this pitch all the time.

Told Arctic about this, they said they're "looking into it", we'll see how that pans out. I really want to like and use their fans considering the price, I really do, but they're not for me. Either my ears are more sensitive than a Linux fanboy, or the fans are just crap.

Norkris

I wish my fans had high pitch only at those RPM levels which I would end up not even using as I stay under 900 RPM. Too bad they had this pitch all the time.

Told Arctic about this, they said they're "looking into it", we'll see how that pans out. I really want to like and use their fans considering the price, I really do, but they're not for me. Either my ears are more sensitive than a Linux fanboy, or the fans are just crap.
Operating system fanboys for linux are not sensitive to noise? :p

lciarlo

can you combine the sp120 rgb pro fans and the sp120 rgb elite fans on the same lighting node and/or commander pro and control them from icue software

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
can you combine the sp120 rgb pro fans and the sp120 rgb elite fans on the same lighting node and/or commander pro and control them from icue software

If both have the same number and type of LEDs, then yes. I believe that is the case here too, but verify it with someone from CORSAIR to be sure.

lciarlo

If both have the same number and type of LEDs, then yes. I believe that is the case here too, but verify it with someone from CORSAIR to be sure.
any corsair people on here? or should i go to corsair.com support

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
any corsair people on here? or should i go to corsair.com support
Just checked the two, you should be fine for lighting control. But one is a 3-pin voltage controlled fan, and the other is a 4-pin PWM fan. So speed control will be different on both.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
no, icue wont let you mix and match fan types - you need a seperate header on the commander pro/lighting node pro, connected to a seperate corsair fan RGB hub for each fan type
(while some types get lucky and work, theres been plenty of reports from people doing it and getting weird lighting results, especially on animations)

jackson019

Hoping you guys can review the latest refresh of the ML fans: The ML120 RGB Elite. They appear to have come up with a new design with their "AirGuide Technology anti-vortex vanes" similar to the SP120 Elites.

Corsair really does an odd job with the ML line. There are so many different skus. To top it off, if you bought one of the AIOs that came with RGB fans prior to the newest ML RGB Elites, those were a superior version compared to the separately available ML120 RGB that was available in 1 and 3 packs.

Also of note is Corsair appears to have brought down the 5-year warranty of the ML line to 2 years per this press release.

ModelML120ML120 Pro LEDML120 RGBML120 RGB Platinum (AIO Only)ML120 Elite Capellix (AIO Only)ML120 RGB Elite
RPM Range400 - 2400400 - 2400400 - 1600400 - 2400400 - 2400450 - 2000
CFM (Max)757547.3757558.10
Static Pressure (Max)4.2mm-H2O4.2mm-H2O1.78mm-H204.2mm-H2O4.2mm-H2O2.90mm-H20
Sound (Max)37 dBA37 dBA25 dBA37 dBA37 dBA30.4 dBA
Warranty5 Years5 Years5 Years5 Years5 Years2 Years
Release201620162017201820202021