• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
A long overdue review in the making, we finally check out CORSAIR's low-profile mechanical keyboard. It was the first on the market with Cherry's recent low-profile switches, including the MX Low Profile Speed switch, and aims to bring all the features of the excellent K70 RGB MK.2 to those wanting a smaller full-size keyboard.

Show full review

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Not offering these super overpriced keyboards with any type of switch (OR at least including the brown) is completely retarded.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Not offering these super overpriced keyboards with any type of switch (OR at least including the brown) is completely retarded.

There is no Cherry MX Low Profile Brown switch. This, as with the Cooler Master SK series and a few others, is meant to offer those Cherry MX Low Profile switches only, which are only two in number.

This article agrees with pretty much all my experiences daily-driving this keyboard for the last 6 months. It feels solid in use and has a nice accessory pack, but the speed silver switches are prone to unintentional presses from resting my fingers if I'm inattentive. The reason I'm using this one instead of my old MX Brown board is the slightly lower profile, nice set of media controls, and usb pass-through. Ironically, I feel that for gaming the low-profile speed silvers are actually worse than regular browns because I can't feel the actuation point as well in the heat of the moment.

I'd also rather not run iCue software in the background. For users who do value the RGB abilities of this board and are willing to give up that chunk of CPU and memory, the customization could be a nice value-add. For me personally the RGB stays firmly off. (I got the board through a raffle so price wasn't a consideration).

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
This article agrees with pretty much all my experiences daily-driving this keyboard for the last 6 months. It feels solid in use and has a nice accessory pack, but the speed silver switches are prone to unintentional presses from resting my fingers if I'm inattentive. The reason I'm using this one instead of my old MX Brown board is the slightly lower profile, nice set of media controls, and usb pass-through. Ironically, I feel that for gaming the low-profile speed silvers are actually worse than regular browns because I can't feel the actuation point as well in the heat of the moment.

I'd also rather not run iCue software in the background. For users who do value the RGB abilities of this board and are willing to give up that chunk of CPU and memory, the customization could be a nice value-add. For me personally the RGB stays firmly off. (I got the board through a raffle so price wasn't a consideration).

iCUE is also good for key assignment and macros, so you can just turn off the fancy lighting entirely and use it for function over form.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
There is no Cherry MX Low Profile Brown switch. This, as with the Cooler Master SK series and a few others, is meant to offer those Cherry MX Low Profile switches only, which are only two in number.
Yea, pretty retarded they don't exist, isn't it?

I've been using AutoHotKey for macros for years, but the ease-of-use of iCue might be better. I can definitely see people going for that if they're going to run it for RGB anyways.

iCUE is also good for key assignment and macros, so you can just turn off the fancy lighting entirely and use it for function over form.

I actually bought this for $89 on sale and liked it for the low profile over my K70 RF but I would prefer Browns. K70 RF is uncomfortably high if you don't use the wrist rest to elevate your palms but the Mk.2 LP i can use it without the wrist rest on the desk and its comfortable.

iCUE still loads drivers in the background for monitoring temps for the lighting effects. Newer versions are nice due to the on-board memory but the rest pad is also harder and more textured then the old versions. PCWorld (Gordon) asked Corsair for a iCUE lite version due to the bloat a couple a months back during their Corsair visit which would be nice.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I actually bought this for $89 on sale and liked it for the low profile over my K70 RF but I would prefer Browns. K70 RF is uncomfortably high if you don't use the wrist rest to elevate your palms but the Mk.2 LP i can use it without the wrist rest on the desk and its comfortable.

iCUE still loads drivers in the background for monitoring temps for the lighting effects. Newer versions are nice due to the on-board memory but the rest pad is also harder and more textured then the old versions. PCWorld (Gordon) asked Corsair for a iCUE lite version due to the bloat a couple a months back during their Corsair visit which would be nice.

Funny thing is, iCUE (as CUE before) used to only be for peripherals and they had Corsair Link for fans, PSUs, coolers etc. Combining it all together of course makes the new software bulkier, and having to support a lot of products also makes it worse. It's reasonable in my books, but of course is contingent on you having at least a decent quad core CPU.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
I own the speed/linear version of this keyboard. It's the best keyboard I have ever owned, the keys are so responsive, you almost just have to whisper and they will respond. I just don't have words to describe the joy I have with it. Oh and if you are worried about a noisy keyboard, this keyboard is soft, it's not noisy at all or disturbing.

On another note, I spilled sugar tea on it recently, much sadness, but I drained the keyboard and the keys are starting to respond again as old. ^_^

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I own the speed/linear version of this keyboard. It's the best keyboard I have ever owned, the keys are so responsive, you almost just have to whisper and they will respond. I just don't have words to describe the joy I have with it. Oh and if you are worried about a noisy keyboard, this keyboard is soft, it's not noisy at all or disturbing.

On another note, I spilled sugar tea on it recently, much sadness, but I drained the keyboard and the keys are starting to respond again as old. ^_^

You might want to follow the disassembly steps in the review and make sure the PCB is dry completely.

System Name Mass Effect/Lost Ark
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X/AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming/Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S/AMD Wraith Max
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200/Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Mech 2x/MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" SSDs x2, WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB 1TB NVME M.2
Display(s) Acer XF270H 1920x1080p @ 144Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG ATX Mid Tower/CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Actis Nova 3 RGB
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 80+ Gold/Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze
Mouse Thermaltake Level 10 M/Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Edition/Steelseries Apex 3 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro OEM 64bit/Ubuntu 22.04.1 64bit
This is my current keyboard and honestly one of the best I've ever owned. It's my first RGB board and I like that certain games(The Division 2 and Far Cry New Dawn) have their own RGB profiles baked in(mostly Ubisoft games). I use the grey textured WASD keys and they help with various games I play such as Warframe and Black Desert Online. Appreciate the solid and concise review VSG.

Reactions: VSG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
You might want to follow the disassembly steps in the review and make sure the PCB is dry completely.

No worries, I opened it and did check for flood damage. Luckily, I didn't need an assembly/disassembly manual or w/e, it was pretty easy to take apart. I just had one screw that I couldn't remove due to it being very very tiny., which was no bother to be honest, the hairdryer got in where it needed to. :)

If the keys remain or become unresponsive in the future, I will just solder them off and replace, or use some silver-sol oil and dry any excess that might drip somewhere. I always try and fix things myself before getting a new one, you can only fix your already broken item and you learn as you do. If it should break after that, well, replace.

Reactions: VSG