• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Obsidian 650D

Processor i5 4670K @4.4GHz 1.239V
Motherboard Asus Z87M-PLUS
Cooling High Pressure Fan System
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290 4GB
Storage 256GB Samsung 830, 500gb WD Blue 7200rpm
Display(s) 23inch Dell LCD
Case Silverstone Sugo SG10B
Power Supply Antec TP-750
Software Windows 10
I love the style and practicality of this case, but for me if a case like this was dropped to £70-£80 then it would be a staggering success even if it has to be steel instead of aluminium. It might just be my empty pockets but £150 for a mid tower is a little pricey

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I love the style and practicality of this case, but for me if a case like this was dropped to £70-£80 then it would be a staggering success even if it has to be steel instead of aluminium. It might just be my empty pockets but £150 for a mid tower is a little pricey

I agree, it's about $40-$50 above where it should be.

System Name The Monolith
Processor Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z77M
Memory Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB DDR3 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW LE
Storage 2x Intel 330 Series 180GB RAID 0 + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron IPS235B
Case Lian-Li PC-7HX
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD + Audio Technica ATH-A900X
Power Supply Antec TruePower New 750W
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Meh, Corsair cases would be decent if they cost much less. As it stands, the only worthwhile ones are the 600T with mesh side panel and the Carbide series in my opinion.

System Name Old Damned Rigs!
Processor AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE 2.5GHz
Motherboard MSI K9A2-CF
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 PC8500
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce 9800GT
Storage Hitachi 250GB Sata-II
Display(s) Chimnei 22" LCD Wide
Case Powerlogic Modena GTX2500
Power Supply Amacrox Warrior 400w
Software Windows XP Professional SP3
Meh, Corsair cases would be decent if they cost much less. As it stands, the only worthwhile ones are the 600T with mesh side panel and the Carbide series in my opinion.

corsair never build cheap products. so far i rarely see pc cases that had great features, excellent build quality and impressive cable routing like this one..

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
Just bought it

Just bought it and removed everything from my old school Thermaltake Armor and installed it in this case. I like this case and everything about it was done right except a few small details. The front fan is too loud and the case has cheap feet, one fell off the first time I slide it in my desk. Also one more tiny knit picky thing, my front cover near the cut outs is off a bit. It is off just a fraction and is not perfectly flush like the other side. I realize this is picky but for 189.00 it should be perfect especially if it is new. It is not enough to take it back and most people would not notice it but I am picky very picky. Other than those few things it is great and the good certainly outweighs the bad. There is so much good here it isn't even close. FYI, man I won't miss my heavy azz Armor but it is still in perfect condition 5 years later and I mean perfect. Still a very nice case but heavy as hell and no wire management at all.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
^ get ahold of Corsair support and let them know. I betcha they will send you out a new peice.
Heck I asked a question about the fan controller, and they ended up sending me a new controller. It's worth a shot and dont cost a thing...

Oh and my case's front fan is really quiet on low setting.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
^ get ahold of Corsair support and let them know. I betcha they will send you out a new peice.
Heck I asked a question about the fan controller, and they ended up sending me a new controller. It's worth a shot and dont cost a thing...

Oh and my case's front fan is really quiet on low setting.

Yes on low so is mine but who wants low and is your case front panel slightly off. The side near the power button is not flush. If I'm looking at the case and run my finger tips across from right to left the side near the power button is protruding a mm or so and is not flush. It is barely noticeable and I tried adjusting my case upgrade slot covers but it's the case frame. I not sure it is worth the rebuild effort to return it because it is very minor but Corsair should have caught it. I don't think a new aluminum cover will help I think they just made it this way. It is still a super nice case but I'm picky that's why I went with Corsair. Off to buy some super glue to put the foot back on.

Update, bent the front panel a bit, good as new, glued foot back on and all is good in the world.

Last edited:
System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
well apparently the intake fan is a issue http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95966

The whine on high speed in the front fan is caused by the metal grate that is in front of the fan, the grate the fan is mounted to not the filter. I just cut mine out with some tin snips and now can run my front fan on high with zero whine. It is a listed mod on the forum took about 15 minutes with a good set of tin snips and a black paint pen to clean it up. Silence is bliss. After this mod my case is near perfect now and if I were a betting man Corsair will either add spacers to the new case front fan to move it way from the grate or remove this grate all together.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
well apparently the intake fan is a issue http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95966

The whine on high speed in the front fan is caused by the metal grate that is in front of the fan, the grate the fan is mounted to not the filter. I just cut mine out with some tin snips and now can run my front fan on high with zero whine. It is a listed mod on the forum took about 15 minutes with a good set of tin snips and a black paint pen to clean it up. Silence is bliss. After this mod my case is near perfect now and if I were a betting man Corsair will either add spacers to the new case front fan to move it way from the grate or remove this grate all together.
Ah Im glad I dont have that problem.. You hacked the fan mount? What fan was included? Was it the black one with weird angles on the blades? I see ppl are using the clear lighted fan and thinking its the problem.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Ah Im glad I dont have that problem.. You hacked the fan mount? What fan was included? Was it the black one with weird angles on the blades? I see ppl are using the clear lighted fan and thinking its the problem.

Nope it's the grill making all that noise, I removed it with some tin snips and the ground the edges a bit to unsharpen the left overs and painted it with a flat black paint pen. It is not my greatest work since steel is hard to grind down but it isn't bad plus you cannot see it at all because it is covered by the front face plate. Corsair knows it is the problem that's why they stopped replacing the fan controller. The top and front fan are identical but doesn't it strike you funny one is silent or near so on high and not the other, well now both are silent on mine. ( or at least it doesn't have that whine). Turn your front fan on high and listen to your front fan, it is no different than mine it will whine with that grill on. Read the thread I posted and several more on their forum.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Nope it's the grill making all that noise, I removed it with some tin snips and the ground the edges a bit to unsharpen the left overs and painted it with a flat black paint pen. It is not my greatest work since steel is hard to grind down but it isn't bad plus you cannot see it at all because it is covered by the front face plate. Corsair knows it is the problem that's why they stopped replacing the fan controller. The top and front fan are identical but doesn't it strike you funny one is silent or near so on high and not the other, well now both are silent on mine. ( or at least it doesn't have that whine). Turn your front fan on high and listen to your front fan, it is no different than mine it will whine with that grill on. Read the thread I posted and several more on their forum.
I just got the fan controller last week and the top fan was never used. I pulled it out to house the radiator. Soo I never got to hear the top fan run... Well atm I do hear the front fan.. Im going to see if be placing small stick on circles I can disturb the air flow enough to silence the fan.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
I just got the fan controller last week and the top fan was never used. I pulled it out to house the radiator. Soo I never got to hear the top fan run... Well atm I do hear the front fan.. Im going to see if be placing small stick on circles I can disturb the air flow enough to silence the fan.

All I did was clip the mesh wire out of the case body, not the removable filter with tin snips. Then I took a dremmel and ground the remaining metal down a bit painted it with a flat black paint pen and covered the rough edges with some plastic c molding from auto zone. It looks factory and was cheap. It really improved the fan noise.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
All I did was clip the mesh wire out of the case body, not the removable filter with tin snips. Then I took a dremmel and ground the remaining metal down a bit painted it with a flat black paint pen and covered the rough edges with some plastic c molding from auto zone. It looks factory and was cheap. It really improved the fan noise.
Well thanks for the info, I'll need to take a closer look and see what I can come up with out cutting anything. Worse case is I need to cut but I'll see what happens. If I find a non cut solution I'll be sure and post a pic of my finding.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Well thanks for the info, I'll need to take a closer look and see what I can come up with out cutting anything. Worse case is I need to cut but I'll see what happens. If I find a non cut solution I'll be sure and post a pic of my finding.

You can try spacers on the screws just few mm or so and it won't whine. Here is the finished product with the grill removed

Last edited:

ctguy1955

I had a H100i for cooling but upgraded my mb to a Maximus VII Formula and I wanted
to be able to WC my MB as it has cross chill.

I was lucky to be able to take the entire metal hard drive
tray, and move it to the three empty slots under the DVD.

I just ordered a new 200mm Rad and Fan for the bottom right side of the case
and hope that I will be able to mount the new Rad with attached fan to the
bottom of the case as its the only place that is metal and not movable.
I really like the 650 case and am very happy with it.

all done.jpg
best photo.jpg

Attachments

• WC plan.jpg
    WC plan.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 458

ctguy1955

I received the new Rad and Fan, but could not use the stock fan with the rad. I took out the
stock fan and installed the new fan and rad, but now have to order another Fan and
fan plate for the Phobya 200mm rad, and some M3 55mm screws to use the Shroud.

My temps went down and Im very happy !!!

I just received my M3-55mm screws and cant wait for the new fan and adapter plate to come on Wednesday !!!!

Last edited:

ctguy1955

I just joined the 5.0 Club !!!!

Attachments

• 8-18-2014 11-18-34 PM   5.0 0c.jpg
    8-18-2014 11-18-34 PM 5.0 0c.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 395