• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair RMi Series 650 W

The RM650i is a high-end PSU from Corsair with a digital interface, amazing performance, and silent operation. The cherry on top is the ten year warranty, which is now provided with all Corsair AXi, HXi, RMi, and RMx models.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Well done...and thank you! :)

So is its 20% ($20) cost over the EVGA G2 worth the 'significant' performance difference (even though that G2 650W is a 'great' PSU already)? Of course that is up to the beholder, but...

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism (BOX-cooler)
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Red
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Case Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows10 64bit
Great job from Corsair / CWT. :)
Very few 650watt PSUs right now, can match the RMi 650.
P.S. Impressive review once more by Aris. He has set very (very!!) high standards at the PSU review field!!:clap:

Great review as usual.
I like the relaxed fan profile, otherwise it's a good PSU as many around. I still prefer the EVGA G2 for being a more analogue piece, for not being Corsair, and for its obscene good looks.

So Corsair redesigned their software... unbelievable.

Processor 2500k @ 4ghz
Motherboard Asrock z77 pro3
Memory Patriot 32GB(4x8GB) Viper III DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1070 ARMOR 8gb
Storage 250gb Crucial m500 SSD
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp™ U2713HM @90hz
Power Supply Corsair CX500
Mouse CM STORM
Keyboard Velocifire VM01 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
are there any 600 psu without voltage wattage issues?

Processor i7 920 2.66GHz @ 3.35GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2 LGA1366
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) Powercolor HD 5870 PCS+
Storage 2x 640GB Western Digital Black 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW
Case Antec P183
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair RM650i
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard 2004 HP wireless
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Hey there! Registered just to comment on this because I have some questions.
You see, for my current rig (specs can be found in profile) that I built in late 2009 I chose the case Antec P183, for which I got an Antec CP-850 power supply back then. It was a very large power supply with great performance and good ventilation since it had its fan on the front and a lot of space for the air to blow through inside. A few months ago, over 6 years later, the PSU started behaving odd, it restarted randomly at any time especially after cold boot. At this time I decided to get a new one and chose the Corsair RM650i since I didn't need higher wattage and read everywhere how reliable and quiet it was.

After 2 months of working perfectly, I was playing World of Warcraft and the PSU just turned itself off, followed by a "bang", like a firecracker type sound, then a burnt smell filled the room. When I brought the PSU back to the local computer shop they plugged it into some kind of small test unit to confirm it was broken and as soon as they fired it up the whole room was filled with that burnt smell and they gave me a replacement.

Now what I'm wondering after reading this review is about this part: "No bypass relay for the NTC thermistor, which protects a unit against large inrush currents"

I know next to nothing about electricity but this got me worried. Could it be that very part that exploded in my first RM650i? The shop said they're not allowed by Corsair to examine what happened to faulty units so there's no way for me to know.

Also, is there anything wrong about my setup and usage? I will tell you a bit more. I do not have grounded power outlets in the wall. From the wall socket I have a small extension cord, then a power strip with surge protection. (which I guess won't work since it's not grounded but I got it just because of the high quality) I don't know if the order of plugging things in to the power strip matters (does it?) but the order from closest to wall/cord is PSU, monitor, printer, ADSL modem. I'm also using another power cable for the PSU since the one that came with it was too short. The ampere and all specs is the exact same as on the one that came with the RM650i.

Now to the usage. Where I live we tend to get thunder a lot. I'm a nervous type of person when it comes to that so I always want everything unplugged when that happens. I use earplugs when sleeping at night so I wouldn't hear thunder if it appeared at that time.

I use the small extension cord from the wall as a way of unplugging all the PC setup since the power strip and wall socket are located where I can't typically reach them. I plug it in, switch on the modem, switch on the PSU on the flip switch, then start the PC. Naturally I keep it plugged in during the day unless there's any thunder or anything. After shutting it down later, I turn off the modem, flip the PSU switch off, then unplug the power strip from the extension cord.

This is how I've always done it since 2009 at least, and there has never been any problems! So I'm wondering about inrush current and all that, and if I somehow caused something to explode in the PSU or if it was just one of those "1%" bad PSUs.

The RM650i has a 7 year warranty so logically I'd say it should be expected to last for a long time. My Antec CP-850 had a 5 year warranty and lasted for over 6 years of daily usage and switch flipping. My rig isn't overclocked by a lot either. Just slightly on the CPU and GPU and when I tried Corsair link on the first RM650i it showed a pretty normal power usage and stability. (I think it was between 300-400w total at peak)

Thanks a lot in advance if someone can give me with some answers!

Processor 2500k @ 4ghz
Motherboard Asrock z77 pro3
Memory Patriot 32GB(4x8GB) Viper III DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1070 ARMOR 8gb
Storage 250gb Crucial m500 SSD
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp™ U2713HM @90hz
Power Supply Corsair CX500
Mouse CM STORM
Keyboard Velocifire VM01 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
i mean... is this review, this psu has an issue:
  • No bypass relay for the NTC thermistor, which protects a unit against large inrush currents
so, are there any PSUs without any kind of similar issues?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
This is a review thread, if you have an issue and need answers start a thread in the right forum section, just saying. :banghead:

the lack of a bypass relay can bring you trouble when the PSU is working and power is lost suddenly. And in a matter of seconds it starts again (power is restored). This will lead into a high inrush current because the NTC thermistor will have low resistance (due to its increased temperature) so it won't lower the Amps that the bulk cap will ask to charge again (I = V/R).

However large inrush currents can stress UPS devices and circuit breakers, it rarely make PSUs go boom.

Last edited:
Processor i7 920 2.66GHz @ 3.35GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2 LGA1366
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) Powercolor HD 5870 PCS+
Storage 2x 640GB Western Digital Black 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW
Case Antec P183
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair RM650i
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard 2004 HP wireless
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
@Caring1: I'm sorry if I cluttered the review comments.

@crmaris: Thanks for the review and for your reply.