• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600-CL18 OC for Ryzen 5 3600

examen1996

@Chomiq The games in question are AC ODYSSEY and WITCHER 3, if i would to restart the machine, they would run (start, be playable all that , and i can play them without crashes or latency spikes).
However, if i leave my computer idle for some time like 1-2 hours(and even so this is not a 100% reproduceable behaviour) they might not start like at all, not minimised nothing at all.
But the strange part is , anything else would still work/start, i can play forza, or GTA V, paladins , apex legends , you name it it starts.

Initially i thought that maybe the ram oc that i had was to blame, but now I', inclined to say that it's a game related issue , which I'm ok with, i jsut want to be sure my system is stable.

ocbenny

Freeco not saying it will be better for you. The timings it gave me were closer to what my memory could handle. Seems you were lucky with your memory, I cant get the trcdrd below 21. I run 16-21-21-21-36 now on 1,4 V. Ive also entered all the sub and tertiery timings. Using a ryzen 5 3500x/b450 msi max gaming plus.

Edit.. Just realized there are two 3600 corsair lpx 3600 , they have the same product number which is confusing, one which is optimized for amd, running at 18-19-19-39 vs. 18-22-22-42. I have the later one. And trcdrd doesnt scale with voltage.

Last edited:

examen1996

@ocbenny Op has the same kit as you(and me ), like you I cant really get the memory stable at such extrem timing (even thou I tried, and it looked stable , passed memtest and 2h of prime95).
The strange part is , my kit of ram is not running ,,stable '' at 3.5 xmp settings, it has a general laggyness about it (im talking pure normal usage, not benchmarks).
I too just switched to 1.4 and to the safe presets of ryzen calculator, it just runs better.
The reason why the kit is behaving badly(at least in my oppinion) is because we(the people which got the 18-22-22-42 ) have an older revision, which were not validated for ryzen anyway sice it was realeased in 2017 ......so yeah, corsair is acting wierd om that one , but I digress.

Now , talking real world(and if I am wrong please correct me) after you get the memory stable at cl16 1.4v , the only question left is should you or should you not get a fan for the ram, that one I'm still debating on

System Name Matisse
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X470-Pro
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2D3600C18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GT 1030 Silent Low Profile 2GB GDDR5
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2415 (2x)
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Audio Device(s) Audioengine D3 USB DAC + Audioengine A5+ Black
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 11 450W
Mouse Logitech MX1100R Wireless Rechargeable Laser Mouse
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave Pro
To be clear (but I already linked to it in my OP) this is the SKU of Corsair Vengeance LPX I have: CMK16GX4M2D3600C18
Mine has Micron E-dies.

As mentioned I bought the same set for my sister's Ryzen build. I didn't bother tinkering with the timings for her, but I did check which IC's her set had, and saw it was from a different brand (don't recall which, sorry). So apparently Corsair uses different ICs for the same SKU's, which can then explain why my results are better than yours. Anyway, likely not all ICs perform the same, even from the same brand.

Btw, there's another set like it, with a different SKU: CMK16GX4M2B3600C18. But this one runs at 2x8GB DDR4 CL18-19-19-39 @1.35V

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
The games in question are AC ODYSSEY and WITCHER 3, if i would to restart the machine, they would run (start, be playable all that , and i can play them without crashes or latency spikes).
Sounds like a component or service is crashing and being left in an unusable state and the reset is reinitting them. Check event viewer for any errors.

examen1996

@moproblems99 Thank you for helping :) . I think it was just the overclock not being stable enough , even thou the memtest passed , the strange behaviour kept on happening. Little did I know , using my safe configuration , setting the voltage to 1.4 (used to have 1.39) and switching the procodt to 32 kep the machine stable. Now i guess I could overclock further , but after having the kit running at standard xmp and making my machine work like crap...im just glad i found the sweet spot.

Again , thank you very much for your input, your are right !