• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL DDR4-3600 MHz CL18 2x8 GB

Black Haru

Staff member
A new take on the popular Vengeance RGB Pro, the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL has the same great aesthetics and performance, but in a lower profile for improved compatibility. Is the new Vengeance RGB Pro SL as good as its big brother?

Show full review

By the overclocking in the review, i think this Kit is not Samsung B-Die.

I read some discussions that Corsair labels Kits with 4.31 without using B-Dies at all.

Please don't effin review corsair memory kits - each one has multiple versions and the 1st one has best chips, which get replaced but lower and lower and lower quality ones.

By the overclocking in the review, i think this Kit is not Samsung B-Die.

I read some discussions that Corsair labels Kits with 4.31 without using B-Dies at all.

I've never encountered that out in the wild, though obviously anecdotal evidence doesn't count for a whole lot.

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X | Intel Core i7-5775C
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz, ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 170Hz, ASUS PA246Q 60Hz| Samsung JU7500 48'' TV
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I'm actually surprised that "RGB is not for everyone" is not in cons. :D

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I've never encountered that out in the wild, though obviously anecdotal evidence doesn't count for a whole lot.
There's a thread in the forums with exactly that problem though.

Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 240P rad / whatever fans)
Memory Just about any under the Sun. Lost count.
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX580 8GB Red Dragon V2
Storage 1TB Kioxia Exceria NVMe M.2
Display(s) LG 22MK430H-B
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-550FX
Mouse Westrom (store brand) with the RGBs
Keyboard Aula Dawnguard
Software Win10 Education
+1 to Eiswolf, just look at the chips lol.

4.31 has been B-die for ages (which makes sense... last digit 0 for A, 1 for B, 2 for C and so on) but here, they say SAC!

Why that matters: there have been 5.20s and 5.30s with correct Hynix marks that belonged to AFR, and they also featured a print from Corsair that started with HYA. Similarly with 5.32 and HYC, and 8.31 (Nanya) and NAB.

Corsair has either lost the plot completely or messed up with review kits again (not the first time).

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Poor overclocking seems like par for the course with Corsair. I've used many of thier kits and even when I think I've struck gold with a Samsung B-die kit, it turns out they're very poor bins and barely able to exceed their rated speeds.

I guess Corsair are big enough that they can afford to mass test all their modules and sell it for exactly the speed rating each one will reach. The warranty and support is fine, and I'm okay with getting "only what you pay for" because at least they're reasonably priced in the first place.

System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
could try boot 3200 14-13-13-28 on these to check if they are B-die. because most ICs won't do TRCD 13 at 3200 at all

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Wifi X570
Cooling Coolermaster 240 AIO
Memory 16 GB Crucial Balistix 3600 CL16 @ 3800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5700XT
Storage Samsung 980evo NVMe, PNY CS900 Sata
Case Fractal Meshify C with Noctua Chromax 14 fans
Power Supply EVGA 750G2
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Arteck Wireless Solar
This is a perfect example of how Corsair will ship the worst chips it can get away with. That is some really poor b-die. Do Corsair do binning? Yes. But they don't go about it the same way as quality brands, they bin to see what they can get away with.

It's nice that it is b-die so at least the user can tighten up some of the timings more (hopefully Trfc will go way down like it should on b-die) but lets be real here - how many of these kits will actually be supplied with b-die. I suspect that this kit was hand picked by Corsair to go out for review - something they have done for many many years - supply reviewers with kits that tend to be much better than what will generally be on sale. I make that assumption in this case not knowing whether corsair sent these, or if tech powerup bought them.

Could you add Aida64 Photoworxx test? It's very sensitive to RAM perfomance.

This is a perfect example of how Corsair will ship the worst chips it can get away with. That is some really poor b-die. Do Corsair do binning? Yes. But they don't go about it the same way as quality brands, they bin to see what they can get away with.

It's nice that it is b-die so at least the user can tighten up some of the timings more (hopefully Trfc will go way down like it should on b-die) but lets be real here - how many of these kits will actually be supplied with b-die. I suspect that this kit was hand picked by Corsair to go out for review - something they have done for many many years - supply reviewers with kits that tend to be much better than what will generally be on sale. I make that assumption in this case not knowing whether corsair sent these, or if tech powerup bought them.
You have no idea how binning works in chip fabrication and sorting, right? Only the best companies in the world can sort their bins so precisely that the whole SKU will not exceed the rated spec. Higher bin will go to higher spec model.

Also, for those of you unaware, Samsung B-die is rarely used on anything other than low CL kits these days. Good bins are few and far in between as the IC itself is nearing EOL (last I checked).

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Wifi X570
Cooling Coolermaster 240 AIO
Memory 16 GB Crucial Balistix 3600 CL16 @ 3800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 5700XT
Storage Samsung 980evo NVMe, PNY CS900 Sata
Case Fractal Meshify C with Noctua Chromax 14 fans
Power Supply EVGA 750G2
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Arteck Wireless Solar
You have no idea how binning works in chip fabrication and sorting, right? Only the best companies in the world can sort their bins so precisely that the whole SKU will not exceed the rated spec. Higher bin will go to higher spec model.

Also, for those of you unaware, Samsung B-die is rarely used on anything other than low CL kits these days. Good bins are few and far in between as the IC itself is nearing EOL (last I checked).
Actually do have a decent idea - and Corsair is large enough that they do a lot of binning and take it far closer to the edge than just about any other brand. This isn't exactly a secret you know. And b-die is still used and available on all sorts of kits including some higher latency ones.

HydrAxx

Sorry, but it is not about Samsung B-Die chips on this kit despite what Taiphoon Burner does not display, moreover on this subject it is not the first time that I see this software being wrong especially when these are chips from lesser-known brands such as Nanya or SpecTek (which today only act as a subcontractor manufacturer of Micron chips, which is the problem with Taiphoon Burner) and as well as the recognition of all the chips that have been/are or will be rebranded, because in this specific case (Corsair RGB PRO SL v4.31), they are indeed Samsung-made chips but which have been rebranded (just look at the inscriptions on the chips in the review to see it) and the big concern for the kits using rebranded chips (Corsair, Kingston, etc.) or manufactured by subcontractors (Spectek, Nanya, etc.), these are that the brands of respective origins of each of the known chip models voluntarily forget to communicate certain IDs and codes recognition of their different series of chips so that rebranders and sub-manufacturers (under contracts) do not have fun exceeding the production quotas allocated (for each of the chip models) by the proprietary brands (Samsung, Micron and SKhynix), the latter assigning them unique serial numbers for each of the chips on minimum / maximum ranges defined, which allows the final proprietary brands to keep full control over their rebranders and sub-manufacturers. To understand which chip model it really is on Corsair rebranded chips, it is not very complicated: just read the three letters at the start of the second line: the first two letters correspond to the first two letters of the original brand (so "HY" for Hynix, "MI" for Micron and "SA" for Samsung) and finally the third letter defines the chip model, example: "D" for D-Die (Samsung or Micron) or DJR for Hynix. Don to definitively remove the mystery of the kit's chips in this review, it is marked "SAC" on the rebranded Corsair chips, which means that it is Samsung C-Die, chips much less efficient in overclocking than the B-Die and which moreover have a behavior of more vis-a-vis the increase of tension: on the C-Die, one must especially not exceed the 1.40v (even well cooled) because it is counterproductive: it loses in stability and therefore in OC, and generally some kits in Samsung C-Die can give their maximum in overclocking to 1,35v and others directly to 1,30v and the latter start to lose in overclockability from 1,31~1,32v, which makes these kits generally not a good go-to kit for overclocking.