• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cost effective transportation, how to live a better life with more money in your pocket, 8.1 kWh per 100 km EV car's. Let's discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sketching out some rough ideas... basically what gave me this idea was how hard it is to find decently priced transportation to get back and forth to work. How vulture like car salesman have been towards me, etc. I absolutely can't believe humanity has come to this. It's really sad and pathetic. There is no reason we can't figure this out.

There are loads and loads of empty warehouses around me that could possibly be converted to EV factories if could get some investment capital. We sure as heck would not be able to do this EV 170 mile range car for $4,700 like China, but I bet you we could pull it for $7,000 MSRP and no middle man car salesman, we could work with direct to door car companies, or outsource to freelance truckers. Probably looking at $1,000 for delivery. Ideally we would get it to the customer door for $7,000 total including tax, etc. Nice and simple like Carvana does it, but without Carvana's markup costs. Basically, instead of say me being CEO or you being CFO and raking in tens of millions, we will have no stocks, we will have no big pay, we will make $60k a year just like the guy on the factory floor, and in fact we will be on the factory floor as well. Maybe we could even work with this company in China in the name of climate change and invest in expanding their company, or possibly importing their cars at $5,000 a pop. 170 mile range is damn good enough for most commuters, the most important key factor here is the 8.1 kWh per 100 km.... which is 200-300% increase in fuel efficiency over the Tesla. Let's face it there is a whole generation of car buyers that just wants to get from point A to point B, and cares about the climate. There is a heck of a lot less to go wrong with a simple design like this car. Most people I know work 5 days a week and get maybe two weeks off for vacation a year, and even then they aren't allowed to take all two weeks at once... in which case if you need range for that one rare long weekend you want to get away, just rent a gas car. With as advanced as robotics have become, minimizing the amount of manpower needed to create this vehicle, improve upon it, and mass manufacture it would be a better goal for any major company looking to take the car market by storm.

Thoughts? It's just a bit of hypothesizing, I am well aware this will probably never happen in the United States, Elon, Bezos, Rivian CEO whoever that is these days, and the list goes on and on, pretend they care about climate change, but the truth is, this is the type of small car movement we need if we have any chance of saving climate. Also, these will be much easier on roads, than bigger cars that we are FORCED to buy because there are simply no other options well priced.

Clock is ticking. How much time do we really have before the turbulence offsets quality of living for the majority of humans? Change needs to happen now.

I think the fatal flaw that everyone like Tesla or Rivian or Ford has is that they think the small car market is shrinking. It's not. In fact all the small cars are sold out right now, the Rio's, the Accent's, etc it's the giant SUV's and pickup trucks that you can see as far as the eye can see on car dealers lots, no shortage for those, if you physically go drive around car lots and have a look for yourself instead of trusting the media. Problem is no one can afford that lifestyle, vast majority of us can't, even if we can most of us our sensible unlike the generations before us, and we want purely economical so we can enjoy other hobbies. If China can pull off a 170 mile range $4700 EV, we can figure this out too. It is the only future really, sure Hyperloop might happen in 150 years, see my link at the bottom of this posting, but for our lifetimes and those of our children, etc... we need change now... and this is the best way to make it happen. Take any young person not making much money (which is most of us) give us this brand new $4700 option in the parking lot, and the next car up I can buy is a 16 grand Kia Rio... guess which car I am buying folks? Heck with this small of an EV, I could probably set up portable solar panels in my back yard with portable charging station to charge my car, never having to pay for gas or electricity for my transportation ever again, all for less than 10k total package.

If billionaires truly cared about climate change they would stop believing the BS about what the markets want (yeah no one bought the ford fiesta cause of all the problems they read about the focus and so on and so forth) guess what... not many problems can happen with a small EV like this, they are fairly straight forward in their engineering, no moving parts, and can even do without a lot of the stuff higher end EV's have. Someone needs to step up to the plate. Contact some robotics manufacturers, investors, companies that have done this type of car overseas, and see what the possibilities are. It's the only way we are going to change the world in time. One piece of the puzzle at a time.

In the mean time, I will keep driving my parents car, because I don't make enough just yet in this crazy market.

Source: https://electrek.co/2021/06/17/4700-electric-car-would-you-buy-wulings-mini-ev/
Source:
Source:

Hyperloop thread:

Hydrogen thread:

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
If we take a look at Tesla's 2nd quarter revenues, they sold $10 bln worth of stuff. Chopping $100 mln in management compensation doesn't even amount to rounding error compared to the revenues they are pulling in. I like the way you are thinking, but unless you have a few bln lying around to develop a car, this is currently in fantasy-land.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If we take a look at Tesla's 2nd quarter revenues, they sold $10 bln worth of stuff. Chopping $100 mln in management compensation doesn't even amount to rounding error compared to the revenues they are pulling in. I like the way you are thinking, but unless you have a few bln lying around to develop a car, this is currently in fantasy-land.

That's what the investors are for. Also with a car this small and less parts than a Tesla, also this doesn't need to be fancy at all as you can see from the video in the first source from Electrek.co --- it's very possible with some advanced robotics and investment we could build this type of car on American soil or Canadian soil for very little overhead/manpower costs.

You are correct though overall, sourcing the batteries would be the hardest part (assuming you even found the investors for the initial part of it all lol). Tesla sure as hell wouldn't help us out, god forbid they actually care about efficiency. 8.1 to the moon boys!

Keep in mind this car is outselling Tesla in China, so volume would make up the profits. There is a thirst for this car, not for Tesla among the masses.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Just as an FYI, you aren't going to get all of the most productive answers here due to the... let's just call it "skeptical portion" of the user base.

But kudos for the forward thinking.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just as an FYI, you aren't going to get all of the most productive answers here due to the... let's just call it "skeptical portion" of the user base.

But kudos for the forward thinking.

I'm aware. I'm just seeing if I get some good idea nuggets here and there... if America truly is a special place on Earth, and I believe it is, then this is not impossible. Short term greed has conquered most in this world, but we are not lost yet.

Low quality post by LordFarquaad
Climate change is a stealth tax for the rich to prosper, like every other tax, you have superiority issues if you think that a couple of hundred years of industrial revolution has impacted the health of the planet that has been here for billions of years and experienced every climate, temperature and weather extreme known to man and is somehow in danger of wiping everything out because I have 3 TV's and 2 petrol cars, BTW, I'm a volcano insurance salesman in my real life if anyone wants to DM me to purchase cover, we're well overdue one.... :kookoo:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Climate change is a stealth tax for the rich to prosper, like every other tax, you have superiority issues if you think that a couple of hundred years of industrial revolution has impacted the health of the planet that has been here for billions of years and experienced every climate, temperature and weather extreme known to man and is somehow in danger of wiping everything out because I have 3 TV's and 2 petrol cars, BTW, I'm a volcano insurance salesman in my real life if anyone wants to DM me to purchase cover, we're well overdue one.... :kookoo:

I never said there should be any climate change tax. In fact, my current proposal here is to do with the free markets and nothing to do with the government or people like you (investment capital from private entities willing to take a risk on a big idea, but if my idea of volume is correct and I believe it is they will have some profits as well, just not as wide of margins of profit they might get with the other corrupt industries and the investors will know that going into it or I wouldn't accept them as investors --- I am referring to various big banks here btw), in fact its so cheap of an idea, it won't even need or qualify for the 7500 tax credit, cause unlike Congress and Nissan Leaf/Chevy Bolt/Tesla, I see what the masses truly want.

This thread though, probably still isn't for you. You are not the demographic at all. So take care.

This idea won't ever take off anyway. It's just trying to bounce some ideas around and see what comes out the other end.

But it is a tax scheme, nothing more, rich people get richer from climate change schemes, and schmucks like you and me who aren't mega rich pay for it all, like I said you have illusions of grandeur if you think that all of us using a little bit less electricity will cure the world, we'll be gone in the blink of an eye and the planet won't shed a tear, climate change is a money making scheme from those who are already more rich than they know what to do with to get more rich

Space Lynx

Astronaut
But it is a tax scheme, nothing more, rich people get richer from climate change schemes, and schmucks like you and me who aren't mega rich pay for it all, like I said you have illusions of grandeur if you think that all of us using a little bit less electricity will cure the world, we'll be gone in the blink of an eye and the planet won't shed a tear, climate change is a money making scheme from those who are already more rich than they know what to do with to get more rich

Alright, take that stuff out of the equation. Guess what bud? I like my money. I don't want to spend it on gas or electricity or expensive cars (yes a 16k car to me is expensive) a car is a tool for me to get to point A to point B. More money in my pocket from transportation overall savings = more money I can save for other hobbies. I only bring climate change in to it because it is something I believe in, it is fine if you don't. Regardless of that though, at end of day its about money, and lot of my friends and myself don't make much money, we want budget transportation. There is a market for this. A big one.

That 8.1 efficiency is with a box car design btw. We could probably get that down to 7 with aerodynamic design. More money in my pocket.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Alright, take that stuff out of the equation. Guess what bud? I like my money. I don't want to spend it on gas or electricity or expensive cars (yes a 16k car to me is expensive) a car is a tool for me to get to point A to point B. More money in my pocket from transportation overall savings = more money I can save for other hobbies. I only bring climate change in to it because it is something I believe in, it is fine if you don't. Regardless of that though, at end of day its about money, and lot of my friends and myself don't make much money, we want budget transportation. There is a market for this. A big one.

That 8.1 efficiency is with a box car design btw. We could probably get that down to 7 with aerodynamic design. More money in my pocket.
But that has nothing to do with climate change, you have been conditioned to believe that you are

A: causing climate change
B: can stop climate change

When in fact none of those are true, things are expensive because there is a natural order to things, and for centuries those in power have deemed you not worthy to afford all of the luxuries that the wealthy elites can, and nothing you do will change that.

We earn enough money to make ends meet and hardly anything more, because that way we are easy to control, you can strive all you want but you will never become elite status, those who run things do not classify you the same as themselves, this is a fact, and I'm sorry you hate me for telling you these things, but the world has been run like this for many centuries and pretty successfully
Yeah, one that cooked the Pacific Northwest this year pretty bad.
Ya, I'm in middle England right now at the start of September and it's 30c for the next 3 days, does that quantify me thinking that the earth is coming to an end? :banghead: best get prepping :rolleyes: There are peaks and troughs when it comes to the weather and temperatures, FS is this 2021 or 1500 BC where praying to the sun god will save us all from destruction from the angry earth gods.... :laugh:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
We earn enough money to make ends meet and hardly anything more, because that way we are easy to control, you can strive all you want but you will never become elite status, those who run things do not classify you the same as themselves, this is a fact, and I'm sorry you hate me for telling you these things, but the world has been run like this for many centuries and pretty successfully

Don't hate ya. However, I can maximize my income if I spend less on transportation. This thread isn't for you though, it's time to move on.

Don't hate ya. However, I can maximize my income if I spend less on transportation. This thread isn't for you though, it's time to move on.
I think I'll say when it's time for me to move on, though thank you for your concern :rolleyes:

it's funny, you enjoy being lied to and accept it, but the moment someone tells you how it really is you get uncomfortable and want to dismiss me, I didn't see "members only" on the threads front door, so I think I'll stay here if that's all the same to you :oops:

I am however about to retire to my bed for the night, so at least you can pretend that I have gone away :toast:

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
That's what the investors are for. Also with a car this small and less parts than a Tesla, also this doesn't need to be fancy at all as you can see from the video in the first source from Electrek.co --- it's very possible with some advanced robotics and investment we could build this type of car on American soil or Canadian soil for very little overhead/manpower costs.

You are correct though overall, sourcing the batteries would be the hardest part (assuming you even found the investors for the initial part of it all lol). Tesla sure as hell wouldn't help us out, god forbid they actually care about efficiency. 8.1 to the moon boys!

Keep in mind this car is outselling Tesla in China, so volume would make up the profits. There is a thirst for this car, not for Tesla among the masses.
I would suggest you read up on Tesla, and the pains they faced to mass produce cars. Elon had the same thought as what you said: get investors (people who pre-pay their Teslas), build automation etc etc.

Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 4400Mhz CL19 1T
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6700 XT
Storage 970 EVO 250GB|Crucial m4 128GB|MX300 525GB|MX500 1TB|PNY XLR8 2TB|Kingston NV2 2TB|14TB HDD|4TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XG270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design DEFINE R4 Black Pearl Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard EVGA Z15 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Step 1 : Hugely tax kerosen.
Step 2 : Release domestic water engines.
Step 3 : Use thunders' energy and stop producing toxic batteries while people would use water engines.
Step 4 : Continue to eat meat, use your car, feel good not listening medias blaming you and making you think you can do anything when the countries/rest of the world doesn't care.
Step 5 : Use thunders' power to travel.
Step 6 : Go fishing thinking you will probably die from a supervolcano or a supernova or a meteor/comet or a drunk driver behind a stupid AI car before Earth will kill you.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I would suggest you read up on Tesla, and the pains they faced to mass produce cars. Elon had the same thought as what you said: get investors (people who pre-pay their Teslas), build automation etc etc.

Tesla is selling to a niche market. I'd be selling to the masses. Volume. Also, the idea would be to get a current car company (on the brink of leaving the industry like Honda just left the United States) maybe they could be talked into staying, not abandoning their factories, re-purpose them. Pump these small EV's out to the moon baby. Will outsell Tesla within two months. No one cares about stupid self-drive. We want cheap point A to point B.

Capitalism runs on volume. Elon did it wrong.

With the pandemic, many are more hesitant about public transport. These things would sell so fast it would be insane.
Step 3 : Use thunders' energy and stop producing toxic batteries while people would use water engines.

This is 8.1 efficiency on the battery, 300% improved over the Tesla. We could probably get that down to 7 with a new aerodynamic design. These batteries won't be a problem for pollution nearly as much as the wasteful efficiency of the Tesla's, Leaf's, Bolt's of the world.

The main problem no one has mentioned yet is the 62 mph cap. For me, the highway I drive on is 55mph speed limit, so this is fine for me, but alas this is def urban cars, and those with commutes that are within the proper mph and distance ranges. Which is still vast majority of humans in United States.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Ya, I'm in middle England right now at the start of September and it's 30c for the next 3 days, does that quantify me thinking that the earth is coming to an end? :banghead:
No, but the heat bubble we had had 116F... so that's what, 46C? And we got a follow up one in the same bloody year. This area is known for no air conditioning because it's "so mild." People died.

Alaska was in the upper 90s.

Denying it is playing stupid.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
No, but the heat bubble we had had 116F... so that's what, 46C? And we got a follow up one. Alaska was in the upper 90s.

Denying it is playing stupid.

Please ignore the climate talk people in this thread, really want to focus on the car and ideas around the car. I'm not taking his bait anymore.

On-topic: I added my hydrogen and hyperloop threads to post one if anyone is interested in exploring those, and how I ultimately accepted those as short term flights of fancy... this one seems plausible though. It would require everyone involved knowing going into it they wouldn't make more than 60k to 70k a year though, from top brass to lowliest person, that's the only way an idea like this would work. We would truly have to believe in something bigger than ourselves, instead of the rat race. I don't need to crash a McLaren F1 like Elon to know the bigger picture.

Elon = terrible efficiency electric cars, luxury niche market masses can't afford, and super advanced tech the average day to day person won't need on their 9 to 5 commute. He thought he would trickle down to the masses, he never did and he never will.

These cars are small. No frills, easier to produce. Less overhead. Volume. It's possible.

Last edited:
Low quality post by LordFarquaad
Shock horror, Earth is a hostile planet and humans adapt even though the weather patterns seem extreme to us, wonder how we became the dominant species with so many wet blankets....
Please ignore the climate talk people in this thread, really want to focus on the car and ideas around the car. I'm not taking his bait anymore.

On-topic: I added my hydrogen and hyperloop threads to post one if anyone is interested in exploring those, and how I ultimately accepted those as short term flights of fancy... this one seems plausible though. It would require everyone involved knowing going into it they wouldn't make more than 60k to 70k a year though, from top brass to lowliest person, that's the only way an idea like this would work. We would truly have to believe in something bigger than ourselves, instead of the rat race. I don't need to crash a McLaren F1 like Elon to know the bigger picture.
You started the climate talk thread :laugh: I'm done :nutkick:carry on with your fan fiction

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Although I think climate change is real and will threaten millions of (poor, black/brown) lives, I actually agree with above.

Billionaires output more emissions than the masses ever could. The idea that recycling or driving an EV has any effect on the climate is wishful thinking. If you want to prevent climate change you have to wretch the economy from people whose wealth is based on exploiting the rest of us and engage in a green new deal, which still won’t offset the emissions from the rest of the world. I won’t go further because of politics but, really, mass transportation isn’t the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Although I think climate change is real and will threaten millions of (poor, black/brown) lives, I actually agree with above asshole.

Billionaires output more emissions than the masses ever could. The idea that recycling or driving an EV has any effect on the climate is wishful thinking. If you want to prevent climate change you have to wretch the economy from people whose wealth is based on exploiting the rest of us and engage in a green new deal, which still won’t offset the emissions from the rest of the world. I won’t go further because of politics but, really, mass transportation isn’t the problem.

Alright, I see I made a mistake. I will be changing the title of this thread. Cause at end of day this isn't about climate change, it's about a bunch of poor people like myself sick and tired of the car industry and we want to live our lives without spending our limited money on transportation crap.

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
Tesla is selling to a niche market. I'd be selling to the masses. Volume. Also, the idea would be to get a current car company (on the brink of leaving the industry like Honda just left the United States) maybe they could be talked into staying, not abandoning their factories, re-purpose them. Pump these small EV's out to the moon baby. Will outsell Tesla within two months. No one cares about stupid self-drive. We want cheap point A to point B.

Capitalism runs on volume. Elon did it wrong.
They are still ramping up to produce 1mln cars a year, let alone the 10 mln a year Toyota is making. 1 mln a year is definitely not niche, that is just under what Mazda is selling. Mass manufacturing is not easy, even if there is demand.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
They are still ramping up to produce 1mln cars a year, let alone the 10 mln a year Toyota is making. 1 mln a year is definitely not niche, that is just under what Mazda is selling. Mass manufacturing is not easy, even if there is demand.

I know it's not, that's why I made this thread really to get some ideas. I think the Honda leaving USA is a good one... Honda is known for small cars that are reliable, shame none of us know any big wigs in the industry. I seriously think Honda should make a USA comeback with a car like this. They have the resources.

Tesla still has a lot more overhead than this car would though, it would still have profit margins and come out of the factory faster.

these batteries are not economical:

but that $4700 car is. 8.1 efficiency down to 7 with aerodynamics. I'm telling you there is massive profit to be made from a car like this small little EV. most companies are just doing it wrong because they THINK they know what the consumers want. yet like I said in first post. go drive around some car lots. SUV's and trucks as far as the eye can see, but all the economical cars are sold out.

just added this to post 1:

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I'm locking this thread as it's not really going anywhere others haven't already. We have a climate change thread and this crosses into it. Speculating about EV production isn't science either - it's business - so the posts aren't really going to fit with the sub-forum. By all means create an EV thread. PM me @lynx29 if you wish to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.