• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cost of Intel's Forthcoming Tri-Gate Ivy Bridge CPU

Raw

System Name it's a computer
Processor INTEL i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z68-V DELUXE Gen3
Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24HD Model # 2494 Sync Master
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Gold AX850 Full Modular
Software Windows 10
Does anyone have an idea of the cost of Intel's forthcoming Tri-Gate Ivy Bridge CPU? I am not talking about the Sandy Bridge-E chip.
I am talking about the 22nm chip that is completely different. The one that Intel promises that the technology will be able to scale to its next production process, at 14-nm.
I can't seem to find an indication anywhere of cost.

I'm planning on building a new system soon and this new technology intrigues me but I'm not sure it will be affordable for me.

At today's pricing of $320.00 I can buy a 2600K SB from the Egg, I almost popped for it this morning because that's the price I can swing right now.
But then the moment I was going to hit the order button, I stopped.
I thought to myself, let me just ask for opinions at TPU first before I pull the trigger.
Hey, it never hurts to ask first, right?
The thing that really is telling me to wait is the sheer speed of the Tri-Gate. It is claimed to be 35% faster than SB with the planar transistor technology. Not to mention 50% less power to run.
That speed increase is dramatic, don't you think?
So, should I wait a few months and hope the pricing is right or pop now for the older tech?

Last edited:

Achilles1600

System Name pimped rig
Processor intel core i5 2500k
Motherboard EVGA Z68 SLi micro
Cooling corsair h60
Memory 4gb G-Skill ripjaw's 1333Mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Ge-force GTX 560 Ti
Storage seagate 500gb sata3
Case Coolermaster elite 430, 4 case fan's
Power Supply 600 watt coolermaster extreme power
Software window's 7 home 64bit
You might regret it if you dont wait, although you could be gaming in that time.