1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Could somebody please help me with building a PC?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by xAzazel, Oct 8, 2013.

1. xAzazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I know i'm asking alot from people who aren't being paid to help me but i'd really appreciate some sort of help here, i'm getting into pro league of legends gaming and I need to be able to stream and play league of legends at the same time without having lag/fps drop.

And still be able to have like google open

Things that will be open at the same time:
    League of legends
    Google Chrome
    SplitX Broadcaster(to stream)
    Twitch.tv chat
    Maybe windows media player for music

I have a really low budget but i'm willing to save even more for a better PC if it's really needed

Can anybody help me by telling me either a pre-made PC that fits my requirements or telling me which parts to get(and the price) for all of the pc? I know it's asking alot but i would really appreciate it, I also need it as low as possible in price but still be able to do this.

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to stream, you will need something at least 3570K or better. Lots of ram too, consider 16Gb. The rest is open, if you are saving your streams (don't think thats necessary) lots of RAIDed harddrives.

Depending on where you stay, I would say a budget of about $800 is a good start (before monitor/keyboard etc).

xAzazel says thanks.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    xAzazel and RCoon say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll kind of agree with your build, but you've gone overboard in some cases. He's trying to keep the costs down, and LoL is not that demanding.

600w Bronze PSU will do fine
    7950 will be more than efficient
    H80i is too far, a Hyper 212 EVO is enough, as he didnt mention overclocking (keep in mind he's trying to keep it cheap)
    120GB SSD for Windows + software will do him fine
    The GD65 is an awesome board, but I think he could score a more generic MoBo for a lower cost, like the GD45 instead.

Again, I like your build, but I'm considering the costs.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    xAzazel and BarbaricSoul say thanks.
  5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    ok, I can agree with your points in relation to keeping the budget low. Edited build- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1MfTP

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Definitely what he should aim for in a well rounded gaming PC. No idea what his actual budget is though.

xAzazel says thanks.
  7. xAzazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    My budget is like 600 hahaha, but i can save more money! :) christmas and my birthday soon, I should be able to rake in a few hundred more

8. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    i5 3570K might save a few bucks here and there along with a GD45 Z77 board instead.
    Over here an 8350 + AM3 board costs the same amount so you'd be no better off with AMD, unless you further dropped down to a FX6300.
    From there you could drop the GPU down to a 7870 Tahiti LE.
    There's nothing else I can think of downgrading to save you money, and I simply advise against it. You want decent quality videos.

xAzazel says thanks.
  9. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The FX8350 is excellent for streaming(better than an i5) and will play LOL with no issues pair that with a HD 7870 or better and you'll be getting between 60 and 200FPS

xAzazel says thanks.
  10. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    If you want to go AMD I would recommend 6300, clocks higher which is better for LoL. I would personally stick to strong single threaded performance for streaming.

11. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Mghs

and you will make a mistake.
    i saw a youtube rewiew for gaming+streaming and amd stomped hard on intel. i cant link it now but later when i go home i can try to find it

xAzazel says thanks.
  12. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    to save some money, you can skip on the SSD, and maybe try getting only 8 gigs of RAM instead of 16, and go with the AMD FX6300 CPU. Here's a build with those specs- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1MgkS

If you already have a copy of Windows to use with the build, the build is just over $600, just within your budget(borrow $20 from a friend or family member).

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    600 what? USD, AUD, YEN, GBP

Definitely won't save you money. In England, the FX 8350 is £30 cheaper than 3570K. GD45 Z77 is about the same as the cheapest 990X or 990FX.

xAzazel says thanks.
  14. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    drop that wd black
    for same money you can get 2tb baracuda or 1tb baracuda for about half

edit:
    6300+7870 XT http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1MgnY

xAzazel says thanks.
  15. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I went with the Black because of it's speed. Yes you can get a 2tb Barracuda for the same price, but you can't get a 1tb Barracuda for half the price of the Black. It would only save the OP $25.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/inter...00000,1500000,1200000,1000000&m=34,38&sort=a8

your build is almost $300 out of the OP's budget

xAzazel says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Depends on game in question. Good luck if you stream Starcraft II with AMD (especially fun games with audiences. Lucky for us most streaming software are multithreaded and LoL is not a demanding game. Still, for almost all gaming (minus obvious ones like Battlefield series), faster single threaded is always better. If you are pushing for maximum compression under x264 I think 8350 is worth a long hard look since its nearest competitor (3770) is quite a deal more expensive, and LoL runs just fine with 8350.

xAzazel says thanks.
  17. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    that is why i said about. unfortunately half reduction in size isnt = to half reduction in cost :(

ya it still have ssd and 16gb ram. made it a lot before you post your last buld.

well i saw review about mount ago so cant say exact names of the game(s) and stream technology but i remember it was some kind of shooter(s). i will dig it out and will pm it to you.
    for me buldozer core architecture is more like mid step to cpu+gpu with shared ram integration then separate product line. its biggest flaw, even it is 2+ years old, is more lack of software support/optimization rather then poor desing

xAzazel says thanks.
  18. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    The end result is still unfortunately still the same: poorer performance.

xAzazel says thanks.
  19. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Depends on your priorities. Some people will sacrifice poorer performance today for better performance tomorrow.

Think we all need to keep in mind the OP only has 600 USD? So this is really a budget build.

OP hasn't contributed much to this thread so far, not a fan of writing essays only for the OP never to return. So I will chime in again when he returns and contributes a little more.

xAzazel says thanks.
  20. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    ya but this isnt only amd/cpu fault.

it will be interesting when amd release current console socs (with tuning made from sony and microsoft) to pc market.

xAzazel says thanks.
  21. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    It's not about fault. It's about the end result.

Would you buy an empty box because AMD didn't have enough money to put a product inside - That wouldn't be AMD's fault either.

If AMD priced a CPU @ £5,000 because their top marketing guru told them to. Would you still buy it? - That wouldn't be AMD's fault either.

If Microsoft put in malicious code into the OS to deliberately hinder AMDs performance by 90%. Would you still buy AMD CPUs? - That wouldn't be AMD's fault either.

I think you get the point. Lets let the OP come back before we overwhelm him.

22. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    A few things:

1) Don't skimp if you want to stream. These people saying LoL isn't very demanding have very little idea what it takes to stream at 720 or 1080p while also playing games and streaming music (since most people don't use media player but pandora or internet radio).

2) Get a 256gb SSD. 120gb isn't enough, your OS and 3 games will fill a 120gb drive and it just isn't practical anymore. You can get a Samsung 256gb for a decent price, the standard model and not the pro 840 is a good starting point.

3) Get an Intel processor. They are superior in every way for gaming, AMD isn't even close. Extra cores are mostly worthless in gaming and the AMD architechture itself just isn't very optimized for game development. I have played semi-professionally and build a dozen gaming systems, trust me. Get Intel.

4) Save until you have 1000-1200 and put together a serious build then. Anything you build now for even 600 or 800 dollars is going to become obsolete absurdly fast. For gaming and streaming I often recommend 1200-1500 as a sweet spot for value/performance, but you can stretch that a little bit on the low side if you watch for sales and buy at the right time.

Finally, make sure you have your head straight if you ever intend to play professionally. 99% of players don't make it, of the ones who do, 90% of them don't make any money doing it. There are maybe 3 teams in the USA/Europe who make better money than someone with a bachelors degree in any respectable field. Don't forget that if you do make it, it becomes a job. Trust me when I say it isn't nearly as fun playing professionally as you might think. I had the opportunity to play Counterstrike professionally and turned it down, it wasn't fun anymore when I got to that level and had to put in 45 hours a week practicing and NOT playing for fun.

My parts to consider list:
    Intel haswell i5/i7 cpu (i5-4670 is a great chip for 220)
    Asus/asrock/gigabyte midrange montherboard (asus z87-plus for example)
    EVGA gtx 760 (or 760ti when it launches) gpu
    Corsair 750-860 psu
    Corsair/Gskill 16gb 1866+ ram
    Corsair 750d or NZXT phantom 630 case

Last note: make sure your internet service has significant enough an upload speed for streaming. If you have less than 2MB upload it will lag horribly no matter what computer you run, 5MB upload is better but depending where you live it might not be available for a decent price.

xAzazel and ACidBaseD say thanks.
  23. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Try a Xeon 1230v2? $185 to $200 at microcenter.

League runs maxed out on my 9800 gt. I don't think you need to spend a lot on your GPU.

xAzazel says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    3 days later and the OP hasn't come back.

This is why I don't write essays when I see newly registered accounts.

xAzazel says thanks.
  25. xAzazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am very very sorry about that, my PC actually broke down! haha :c so I was a little sad and like as every nerd would do in that situation with no money or knowledge, i crawled into a dark corner and died a little inside.

These are my current computer spec's
    OPERATING SYSTEM:
    Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
    CPU TYPE:
    AMD Phenom(tm) 8750 Triple-Core Processor
    CPU SPEED:
    2.42 GHz
    SYSTEM MEMORY:
    2.15 GB
    VIDEO CARD MODEL:
    ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
    VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
    1.34 GB
    VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
    aticfx32.dll
    DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
    1920x1080
    HARD DISK SIZE:
    500 GB
    HARD DISK FREE SPACE:
    428.72 GB (86%)

as you can see, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD. I really appreciate all the feedback i've gotten especially from that guy who was semi-pro, I'm going to save and christmas is right next to be my birthday so i have no doubt i'll get at LEAST $500 from that, on top of my 600(by the way this is AU money not USD) so that's like $1100 ish in aud.

I'll probably go for intel over AMD.