• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU chip questions

Todd

Hey all,

My name's Todd, and I've got some CPU chip questions for you. I have a Compaq Armada 3500 laptop which has a Pentium II CPU and recently it seems to be giving me trouble. I know it's seen better days and gotten A LOT OF USE so I think it might be starting to go (a small part of the CPU is burnt).

I'm not sure if you're familiar with older Compaq architecture, but the CPU and processor chips are hardwired and soldered into a CPU card and then the CPU card can be taken out. Many manufacturers use this method too but my CPU card is very specific to the laptop brand. So I'm asking, if I were to replace the CPU, how would I go about doing it? Not the CPU card, just the CPU. Is there a way to melt the connections to the CPU from the bottom and then slip the CPU off the top?

Thanks very much! If you don't know what I mean or are unclear, just let me know and I can post pictures too.

--Todd

ktr

If your cpu is fuzzed with the board, then your only choice is to replace the board. And with the cost (and availability) and time...you better of trashing it.

Todd

Well it's not a bad burn. It's maybe a very tiny burn on the CPU chip itself. The part of the chip is slightly discolored. Other than that it works but after a little while it will give me trouble.

ktr

Possibly over heating, perhaps apply a new layer of thermal paste.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well it's not a bad burn. It's maybe a very tiny burn on the CPU chip itself. The part of the chip is slightly discolored. Other than that it works but after a little while it will give me trouble.

Lapping the chip and slapping on a teeny heatsink might do well to keep it cooler and prolong the life. Depends on how much room you've got inside your laptop though. Something like this might fit, but you may need to splice some cables together...

As for buying a replacement, getting lucky on ebay would be your best bet imo.

Todd

I just applied some thermal grease today so I'm waiting to see what it'll do.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to install a Pentium III chip into the MMC since the CPU is already soldered down. Is there a way because the MMC connectors don't match most new MMC cards. Mine has two bars with electrical connections while the new ones today have that same section except with a small plastic border casing and pins all set inside of it.

Here's what I mean about the MMC connectors.
This is what mine looks like:

And this is what the new MMCs look like on the bottom:

So installing a P3 MMC won't work. Is there a way to install the P3 chip into the P2 MMC?

ktr

Nope. Compaq used to be a pain the ass before they were purchased by HP. There were the king of Non-standard.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
best bet is to find a compaq CPU card with a fast PII or PIII that will work on your laptop

Todd

Okay thanks for the help! It sucks that I can't just replace the CPU chip. Compaqs aren't the best but I only use them for semi-expendable purposes. Especially since I had one of them before when it worked before its motherboard fried.