1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU coolers - Passive test results & overall overview of all test results (database)

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Caelestis, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caelestis

Caelestis

Thanks Received:
    Your CPU cooler tests are always very informative and detailed but I wanted to know if it is possible that you add passive temperature results in the future? In my opinion, these would give a good indication of the actual cooling performance of a CPU cooler, which can be influenced strongly by the used fans.

Furthermore, for the sake of better comparability, would it be possible for you to create a database which includes all test results? Similar to your CPU / GPU database?

2. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    You mean room temperature? I know that they use a hotbox to have the same control for every cooler. (25c)

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Caelestis

Caelestis

Thanks Received:
    No, temperature results without a installed fan.

4. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    But...fans come with it...they perform as a team. Why would a user care about a test without???

If you swap fans with a better fan, temps will improve, a worse fan (talking cfm/sp), it will be worse. Simple. All it will show really is how tbe fan functions in the system...not really relevant when you are 99.999999 using one with a heatsink in the first place. Its a datapoint, i just cant see tbe relevance.

Now, a databse...all for that!!

Toothless says thanks.
  5. Caelestis

Caelestis

Thanks Received:
    Of course you are right. The performance can vary greatly by the fan, but that's exactly why I suggest this. The Heatsink might be great but the included fans can be garbage. How about doing a comparative test with the included fan and a reference fan?

6. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Because 99% of people dont change the fan. Logic tells us better fan better temps already. Confirming a given isnt really needed.

What will a reference fan tell you outside of results for that specific fan that isnt known already?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  7. Caelestis

Caelestis

Thanks Received:
    Where did you get these numbers?

How do you know that the included fan is any good or not?

8. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    o_Oo_O

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Out of my arse... :)

Remember, enthusiasts which do that make up a tiny amount of the market.

I really dont care if the fan that comes with it is good or not. When i look at a review, i see the results out of the box...crap fan or great fan, the results are the results. I know darn well replacing it with a higher cfm + higher sp will more than likely improve results. The 'potential' of the heatsink isnt what most care about, simply the end result of what comes from the box. Testing a 'reference' fan just gives one more datapoint... a fairly useless one IMO. Also, what if the reference fan is worse than the included fan (some come with pretty good fans? So, what, get 5K RPM Delta and put it on there JUST to show how it does???? No thanks... really feels like a waste of time for what you actually get out of it. :)

PS - i dont care about passive results either....unless its meant to be passive. We use fans on them so....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Vya Domus says thanks.
  10. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    Considering most test are done using high end OC'ed CPU all you would see is that it would hit the thermal limit with every single heatsink , you'd get no extra info. It may make some sense if they would test with lower end CPU but reviews almost never bother with those.

I understand the logic that a heatsink without a fan will show how much heat it can transfer and therefore dissipate but it is too impractical.

EarthDog says thanks.
  11. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    I mean I have my DeepCool Lucifer which is advertised to run an i7 passively, but I'm not willing to burn out my chip in testing that at stock volts. :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Weird... he deleted a post saying the idea was stupid?????

I don't think the idea was stupid... just not worth much to many. I think the database was a great idea.