• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU running hot and a fan is louder

Dubnoman

I noticed a fan running louder than usual lately (2 weeks ago) when I play Skyrim (it is the only PC game I've been playing since the beginning of this year). I thought it might be the GPU fan, so I installed HWMonitor to look at GPU temperatures. Turns out the GPU temperatures are fine, but I'm finding that the CPU temperatures are kind of high.

My processor is a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. It is not overclocked. It is a quad core CPU operating at 3.2 GHz. Someone on another forum said this to me: "Max operating temp on the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition is 55°C - 62°C". Is this true? I played Skyrim last night while HWMonitor was running, and the max temp recorded for all 4 cores of my CPU was 67 degrees Celsius. The fan that is running louder must be the CPU fan, and you can tell it is working harder. It works harder than it used to when I played Skyrim in the past; before recently.

Is my CPU operating at a dangerous temperature? What can I do to remedy this problem? I think the first step is to clean my computer. It is long over due for being cleaned of dust. In the next few days, I want to clean the inside of my PC. I found a guide on how to clean the inside of a PC on another forum. Do you suppose this is the likely cause of the overheating and louder fan?

I'd like to know, would it still be safe for me to play that PC game for the next few days? I was thinking of cleaning the inside of my PC this weekend. I'll run HWMonitor whenever I play it and keep an eye on the temperature of the CPU. Is there a certain temperature I have to look out for, one that would make me have to stop playing the game until I fix the issue?

After I clean out the inside of my PC, if this doesn't fix my problem, I'll report back here. What else may be the source of my problem?

One more thing, I just found this forum after googling about safe CPU temperatures. Is this forum a really good place for help and info on computer issues?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
dirt is a good cause, so is the raising of ambient temperatures over the last month.

If the PC isn't shutting off or throttling the CPU, it's fine. There are measures in place to shut you down, or at minimum, slow you down if it gets too hot.

This is the best forum EVAR!!!!!!!:D

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
One more thing, I just found this forum after googling about safe CPU temperatures. Is this forum a really good place for help and info on computer issues?

This is forum is the ONLY PLACE for THE MOST EXCELLENT help and info on computer/technical/science issues!
A huge conglomeration of the most technically advanced minds in the known universe.
Well, it is the best in my opinion!:toast:

EDIT:

If you are using the stock cooler, you may want to think about a different alternative. Maybe some here can give you good alternatives that worked for them on the CPU.
Also, you may want to re-apply the thermal interface material... your T.I.M.; since, you are going to be in the system and cleaning anyways.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Im assuming that machine is using the Stock Heatsink that came with the CPU correct.

and yes Dust is a killer of all electronic devices cuz it can collect water too

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I noticed a fan running louder than usual lately (2 weeks ago) when I play Skyrim (it is the only PC game I've been playing since the beginning of this year). I thought it might be the GPU fan, so I installed HWMonitor to look at GPU temperatures. Turns out the GPU temperatures are fine, but I'm finding that the CPU temperatures are kind of high.

My processor is a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. It is not overclocked. It is a quad core CPU operating at 3.2 GHz. Someone on another forum said this to me: "Max operating temp on the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition is 55°C - 62°C". Is this true? I played Skyrim last night while HWMonitor was running, and the max temp recorded for all 4 cores of my CPU was 67 degrees Celsius. The fan that is running louder must be the CPU fan, and you can tell it is working harder. It works harder than it used to when I played Skyrim in the past; before recently.

Is my CPU operating at a dangerous temperature? What can I do to remedy this problem? I think the first step is to clean my computer. It is long over due for being cleaned of dust. In the next few days, I want to clean the inside of my PC. I found a guide on how to clean the inside of a PC on another forum. Do you suppose this is the likely cause of the overheating and louder fan?
not 62C, they must be kidding :shadedshu
but the lower degrees is better

try to check the fan, clean any dirt or you could add 2 drops oil on that, the grease may dry
:D

Dubnoman

I hate to admit it, but I'm a real noob when working with computer hardware. I'll go with cleaning the inside of my computer first and see if that helps. Re-applying the T.I.M. ...I have no idea how to do that, so I won't do that unless I deem it to be something that should be done.

How much of a noob am I? I've never even replaced a stock cooler on a PC before (that'll answer the question of someone a few posts up). For someone who is very inexperienced with these things, are these things kind of hard? It probably isn't that bad, but it isn't figuring out how to do something that worries me, no, I'm so worried about damaging a part or parts of the inside of my computer that I'm paranoid about it. :ohwell:

Also, so, the consensus is that in the mean time I can still play Skyrim? :D Oh yes, and what temperature should I look out for for my CPU? What, in degrees Celsius, should be a temperature level that if I reach, I should then be concerned about and work to avoid going over?

One last thing. Are there any precautions to take when using a vacuum for the inside of a PC? Is there any danger with static electricity with a working vacuum? I read some guidelines about cleaning the inside of a PC, and I recall something about the vacuum and powering it on before touching the open PC. Am I on the right track? Am I on to something? Can anyone clarify about this?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
not 62C, they must be kidding :shadedshu
but the lower degrees is better

try to check the fan, clean any dirt or you could add 2 drops oil on that, the grease may dry
:D

It's true. SOI process.

Your thermal paste may also be drying up and you may have to take the cooler off, clean off the old paste and apply new paste. Go for cleaning out the dirt/dust before this thouugh.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Yes be carefull and use a paimtbrush too, don't let the nozzle touch pcb, and ground the nozzle to the case via you holding it, pc unplugged.

Woolahach

Probably the bearing is gone. So when the CPU is getting hotter, the fan would need to spin faster but it cant. so it became very noisy and hot

atlblackops

Don't know what your cpu maxs are, but you need to find out from AMD what they are. Use these as a guide and do not hit them. Do not rely on your board and cpu to throttle down or protect itself. Managing temps properly ensures a longer cpu life.

Yes, cleaning out your case always helps, but I doubt that your case is so dirty that it's causing your cpu to overheat (if in fact that's the case).

Dubnoman

Okay, I haven't been playing Skyrim for awhile. People do say the max temp for my CPU is 62 degrees Celsius.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274612-28-what-safe-core-temperature-phenom-processor-fami

I was getting a max temp of 68 degrees Celsius before I stopped playing Skyrim. I don't play any PC games now until I solve this problem. I delayed on cleaning the inside of my PC until this weekend, but I don't know if dust is really causing these high temps.

Do you think dust build up could lead to such high temperatures? The fan isn't as loud as often anymore. I delayed cleaning the inside of my PC since I stopped playing PC games. I monitor temps with HWMonitor.

This last paragraph has some important questions. What should I do to help my computer? Also, if I need to lower the voltage, I think I can do that (no experience with that, but shouldn't be too hard), but putting in a better cooler or removing paste and putting new paste on it; I have no experience with those things. Should I try to learn to do them on my own, or should I bring my computer to a computer shop? I know they will charge more than they should, but would that be a good idea for someone with no experience on these things? Do you think at a computer shop, they could diagnose my problem? I'd like to solve these problems as soon as possible. Is going to a computer shop a bad idea? Would it just cost too much money?

Last edited:
System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Honestly, watch some informational videos on how to install a cpu cooler. (if you are looking for an aftermarket one for example.)

Generally most shops only install stock cooling and will just play down your problem as dirt buildup issue and won't bother with new thermal paste or a better heatsink. I work in a shop myself and we are the only ones in town that bother to install better thermal paste and/or aftermarket cooling.

Okay, I haven't been playing Skyrim for awhile. People do say the max temp for my CPU is 62 degrees Celsius.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274612-28-what-safe-core-temperature-phenom-processor-fami

I was getting a max temp of 68 degrees Celsius before I stopped playing Skyrim. I don't play any PC games now until I solve this problem. I delayed on cleaning the inside of my PC until this weekend, but I don't know if dust is really causing these high temps.

Do you think dust build up could lead to such high temperatures? The fan isn't as loud as often anymore. I delayed cleaning the inside of my PC since I stopped playing PC games. I monitor temps with HWMonitor.

This last paragraph has some important questions. What should I do to help my computer? Also, if I need to lower the voltage, I think I can do that (no experience with that, but shouldn't be too hard), but putting in a better cooler or removing paste and putting new paste on it; I have no experience with those things. Should I try to learn to do them on my own, or should I bring my computer to a computer shop? I know they will charge more than they should, but would that be a good idea for someone with no experience on these things? Do you think at a computer shop, they could diagnose my problem? I'd like to solve these problems as soon as possible. Is going to a computer shop a bad idea? Would it just cost too much money?

You came to the right place for help, but honestly, you could have cleaned the inside of your case and your heat sink with compressed air in the time it took you to write your post. You've been putting it off for over three weeks, if you are that concerned, it's time to get on the field.