• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cpu sitting at max clock even when not needed to

System Name Dell Latitude 7490
Processor I7-8650U
Motherboard 0KP0FT
Memory 16GB RAM
Video Card(s) Intel UHD Graphics 620
hello, just need help tryna cool my laptop when gaming. when i play games that are not demanding, the cpu clock just went up staying at 3.9ghz creating heat even though when i dont even need to since underclocking the cpu the frames on the games didnt drop at all. i also put enhanced speedshift at throttlestop at 80.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Lower max proccessor power in Windows power management.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
and make sure min is set to something like 20-30%, not like 100 (for high perf setting).

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
the cpu clock just went up staying at 3.9ghz
This is how Intel CPUs are designed to operate. If a CPU has a task to perform, it goes up to full speed. When a mobile CPU has nothing to do, it reduces power consumption by entering the low power C7 state. In this state, CPU cores are disconnected from the internal clock and are disconnected from the voltage rail so they are running at 0 MHz and 0 volts.

CPU speed is not that important when the C states are working properly. Here is a good example.

Huge change in idle CPU speed but no difference in power consumption or CPU temperature.

If your CPU will not slow down when it is idle, check to see what percentage of time it is spending in the C0 state processing background tasks. Many users are unaware that they have something constantly running on their computer. An Intel CPU will not slow down if it has something to do. Processing tasks quickly allows the CPU cores to spend more time in the low power C7 state. That is where the real power savings are found.

Processor I7-8650U
Motherboard 0KP0FT
Memory 16GB RAM
That is where the real power savings are found.

do power savings only work when theres no demanding tasks are working or theres something my laptop that turns on performance mode when i open up games?

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@unclewebb
user stated temp being high, and +90% of the time this means using the high perf profile (not letting the cpu downclock),
and not just some background tasks.

@TheTigerJunior
i usually tweak 2 profiles for my usage (power savings and balanced).
power savings is on all the time, and i switch to balanced for encoding/editing/gaming etc.
i dont like the win 10 power/battery stuff (older look lets you switch profiles by just clicking on the battery icon),
so i use something like winaero tweaker/win ultimate tweaker to "restore" the older look/functionality,
then turn off the following for balanced profile: usb suspend/pci express.
set min/max values for proc state to 0/50 (savings), and 5-30/100 for balanced.
set it to 50/100, play some games and monitor cpu load with something like msi afterburner,
then check the lowest point in the graph and use that as min number.
this will make sure your cpu wont drop below the min need to run your games properly.

Last edited:
Processor I7-8650U
Motherboard 0KP0FT
Memory 16GB RAM
@unclewebb
user stated temp being high, and +90% of the time this means using the high perf profile (not letting the cpu downclock),
and not just some background tasks.

yeah agree to that but im using dell's profile. so it's the same goes to balanced

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
switch to balanced. never seen dell/hp or others do the profiles properly,
wasting energy/higher temps than needed.

Processor I7-8650U
Motherboard 0KP0FT
Memory 16GB RAM
switch to balanced. never seen dell/hp or others do the profiles properly,
wasting energy/higher temps than needed.

alright, thanks for your help.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@TheTigerJunior posted that he is using Speed Shift Technology with an EPP (Energy Performance Preference) setting of 80. This setting within the CPU controls the CPU speed. The Speed Shift EPP value takes precedence over any Windows power plan settings including the High Performance power plan.

when i play games that are not demanding, the cpu clock just went up staying at 3.9ghz
That is how Intel CPUs are designed to work. They are not designed to provide you with just the right amount of speed. The purpose of Speed Shift is to get the CPU up to maximum speed as fast as possible. Any game is going to provide a constant load for at least one core so the active CPU cores are going to try to run continuously at full speed.

Power Optimization – a Reality Check

If the game you are playing runs smoothly at a lower CPU speed, use ThrottleStop to cap the maximum CPU speed. If the Turbo Ratios are not locked, reduce them to 30. If the Turbo Ratios are locked, reduce the Speed Shift Max value. Set Speed Shift Max to 30 and then your CPU will max out at 3.0 GHz instead of 3.9 GHz.

do power savings only work when there's no demanding tasks
Power savings happen all the time. Intel mobile CPUs save power by forcing unused cores into the low power C7 state. Some games only use 2 cores at the same time. If you have a 4 core CPU, the other 2 cores will be in C7 spending almost all of their time at 0 MHz. With a 6 core CPU, there might be 4 cores sitting idle in C7 at 0 MHz. This saves power.