• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU speed drops to 0.79 from 2,40 in spesific games

padden

This problem started a few weeks ago i assume. I cleaned fan and renewed the thermal paste. It's not happening in LoL and Osu its happening in CS:GO and GTA 5, i was playing these two games with no issue back in the day. FPS drops to 20-30 from 100-120 when cpu speed drops. Temperature is around 78 C. Im playing LoL with same temperature and its not happening. Its running in high performance, drivers are updated, reinstalled windows, its still there. I don't know what else to do, any suggestions?
Lenovo Y510P
i7 4700 MQ
GT 755M
16, 0 GB RAM

Attachments

• 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 240.jpg
    240.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 440
  • msi.jpg
    msi.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 373
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Thats likely throttling.

Have intel xtu up and play your games... what throttling reason does it show?

BEP

I would say that's thermal throttling.
You probably can play LoL and Osu with the same temp because they don't need that much power and it just enough that it doesn't throttle, CS:GO and GTA 5 however, would like to pump more, however since it can't it throttles down so you don't damage your components.

So if you say you played them with no issue back in the day then either your newest application of thermal paste has something to do with it, or the games had some sort of update with un-optimized code or something that would need more power that you can't deliver since you are already at your hardware's limit.

I would say think about if you did something wrong while applying the paste, was it too much/little, did you clean the heat spreader good before applying, what paste did you apply, is it a good paste, and if you're sure that's perfect, besides this and game updates I have no idea of other factors that were changed, so you could think about that.

padden

I couldn't compare, i don't know the old temperature, i didn't check it unfortunately. It seemed overheating recently and i went to local computer service because its hard for me to open a laptop, i didn't want to risk it. I don't know if he did it right, i didn't see. Should i go to another service and reapply the thermal paste?
@EarthDog @BEP

Last edited:

BEP

No, it's less likely they screwed something up, they 'should' be professionals, so I don't want you wasting money when we're not sure. EarthDog edited his comment, try what he's saying and post results
Have intel xtu up and play your games... what throttling reason does it show?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
that's thermal throttling.
Thermal throttling does not lock the CPU to its minimum speed. Intel thermal throttling rapidly cycles the CPU between full speed and minimum speed hundreds of times per second. The CPU only slows down just enough to stay under the thermal throttling temperature. The Y510P set that to 99°C. His CPU is not reaching that temperature so it is not thermal throttling.

@padden - Your screenshots look familiar. I was trying to help you over on this forum. I do not even know what language that forum is in. I joined because there seem to be a lot of users that have no idea how to use ThrottleStop to fix their problems.

You were concerned that ThrottleStop was too dangerous and might damage your computer. Over a million people have downloaded ThrottleStop from TechPowerUp this year. If this program was dangerous and computers were blowing up, it would be easy to search Google and discover reports of computers damaged by ThrottleStop. After 10+ years of development, it is extremely rare to hear about any problems like this. My email address is including in the ReadMe file. It is not overflowing with emails from people that have damaged their computers.

I have owned a Y510P for 7 years and I have used ThrottleStop since the day I bought it. The majority of ThrottleStop development has been done on my Y510P. The Y510P has a throttling problem. Lenovo thought it would be a good idea to disable Intel Turbo Boost as soon as the Nvidia GPU becomes active. I specifically added the Non Turbo Ratio feature to ThrottleStop to fix that problem.

Your laptop has that problem as well as another throttling problem. I have no idea what has changed recently that has triggered your second throttling problem down to 800 MHz. Lots of laptops develop unexplained throttling problems as they get older. I am pretty sure that ThrottleStop can fix both of these problems. Intel XTU does not have the features necessary to fix throttling problems. ThrottleStop does.

If you want to solve your problem, I am here to help you. Start using ThrottleStop, post lots of pictures and I will show you how to best setup this program.

When running ThrottleStop, my Y510P does not drop down to 2.4 GHz when the Nvidia GPU is active.

Last edited:

padden

@BEP @EarthDog So i did what you say and these two are flickering when the issue happens, they are not permanent. What do you think i should do?
@unclewebb Yeah i opened that thread, its me. I will use Throttlestop if i can not find anything to solve this. Some people say Throttlestop screwed their CPU's, so... I just dont want to force it.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 226

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@padden - If your CPU is at 16% Utilization and it is running at 96°C then someone did not do a great job replacing the thermal paste. You cannot solve your problem until your overheating problem is fixed.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Some people say Throttlestop screwed their CPU's, so...
likely they didnt know what they were doing and didnt ask enough questions. @unclewebb is great at support on TS.

padden

I will go to another service and replace thermal paste again then, we will see if the issue will persist. Thanks for the help everyone. I will update this thread when i replace the paste.

Or... get the basic skills needed to replace thermal paste in a laptop... it isn't rocket science by any stretch! :)

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Or... get the basic skills needed to replace thermal paste in a laptop... it isn't rocket science by any stretch! :)
in a laptop it is still a bit challenging when it comes to patience and remembering where all the screws go... :D

Last edited:
Maybe it isn't as easy as on the devices I have changed, but it still isn't rocket science. It's a valuable thing to learn IMO.... saves you money in the process.

padden

Well the thermal paste price is more than the service cost in my country. It's weird i know, don't question it :D
I will replace the thermal paste one way or another, i just hope that this is the problem that causing this issue.

padden

Problem is solved. I went to another service today and replaced the paste. He said one screw wasn't tight enough, loose. That's what caused this issue and it's solved. Thank you for help everyone.