• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cpu stuck at 0.79 ghz

waelalansiri

System Name toshiba satellite l50-b
Processor intel i5 4210U 1.7ghz (2.7ghz turbo)
Memory 6gb
Video Card(s) amd radion r7 m260 2gb
You need to get a program from cpuid called hardware monitor and have it open and post is Idle temperatures and then whatever's load temperatures are see if there's an anomaly there it's possible that the thermal interface material is garbage or his ambient temperatures in the place are horrendous
112.png

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
the

adapter is the one provided by toshiba

also that utility is the bios of my laptop

and i didn't install any chipset from toshiba website i just upgrade him from device manager

my bios is updated i tried to reinstall it but it says this version is already installed
Well then minus the advise about the Toshiba utility that was actually the bios I would suggest that you actually perform the advice given in this thread for the issue you are having, other wise the thread is dead here.
and the 511Cels on the GPU...WTH is that shit?
Recap
dont use throttlestop until we figure out the issue.
1 reset your bios now that you have been playing in there..DID work? if no go to 2
2 Windows power options to Max Permanence (for testing reasons) Did it work? If no go to 3
3 Install the Chipset from Toshiba for your laptop and reboot and test again. Did it work if not please report back so we can dev deaper.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Well then minus the advise about the Toshiba utility that was actually the bios I would suggest that you actually perform the advice given in this thread for the issue you are having, other wise the thread is dead here.

You're right we can't do it for him and we can't hold his hand either for this he's got to do it himself if he doesn't do it it's his own fault it might as well just throw the laptop out.

If it ain't those things most likely his motherboard is toast or his CPU is.

And at that point he might as well get a laptop that is robust in Cooling and has a higher means of configuration and probably should take it to someone that would be able to show him how to tweak it the correct way since we are on the other side of a monitor.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
You're right we can't do it for him and we can't hold his hand either for this he's got to do it himself if he doesn't do it it's his own fault it might as well just throw the laptop out.

If it ain't those things most likely his motherboard is toast or his CPU is.

And at that point he might as well get a laptop that is robust in Cooling and has a higher means of configuration and probably should take it to someone that would be able to show him how to tweak it the correct way since we are on the other side of a monitor.
Also while i have not experienced this nor seen it my self, I have read that undervolting a chip a little too much can sometimes stop the CPU from some upper turbo boost clocks. Worth a mention though, even though it should be able to maintain its base clock.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The only times i've seen this issue on a laptop is:
1. overheating/thermal throttle
2. power saving mode is enabled in windows (run high performance mode)
3. Charger/battery not originals, or not working correctly, forcing to run power saver

maybe yours isnt working because you've removed your faulty battery?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The only times i've seen this issue on a laptop is:
1. overheating/thermal throttle
2. power saving mode is enabled in windows (run high performance mode)
3. Charger/battery not originals, or not working correctly, forcing to run power saver

maybe yours isnt working because you've removed your faulty battery?

He provided temps

@DRDNA asked about power properties.

I even asked him about the ac adapter.

Its all up to him now.

Also while i have not experienced this nor seen it my self, I have read that undervolting a chip a little too much can sometimes stop the CPU from some upper turbo boost clocks. Worth a mention though, even though it should be able to maintain its base clock.

It would be an out of tolerance condition for the mobo bios parameters

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try using the Function - F2 (FN-F2) key combo to see if it will change the mode.

After, doing a little reading around... there are a few Toshiba owners of the L50 and L55 who had the same problem after the Bios update to version 2.00.
I did not see any details on how they did it, but, a couple stated they re-flashed the bios and one down-flashed his bios. They stated it fixed the problem of the cpu running at .798 with a 2x or 3x multiplier and restored the correct CPU multiplier & speed; also, gave them all three options for the Dynamic CPU Frequency mode (SpeedStep).

Dynamically Switchable (default) - The Power Saver controls the frequency.
Always High - Accelerates the CPU
Always Low - CPU normally uses this state

Remember, you flash the firmware at your own risk.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
If I were you... I would email or call Toshiba support and get their advice, too.

EDIT: I found a thread at the Toshiba forums where a poster stated, you could only downgrade using the ISO file, in the firmware download. He mentioned booting from a CD with it. You could not downgrade from the Windows firmware utility.

Last edited:

CyberTrec

A Toshiba L50-B just came across my desk at a computer repair shop. The CPU freq stuck at 0.79Ghz or 798 MHz. The problem was after Bios update 2.00 the charger the customer had given us along with the computer forced the laptop into low-power mode. A different Charger (still Toshiba) at 3.95A made the Core Freq clock up immediately.

Krolik

I see that the power supply solution worked for you but just in case someone else is coming across this thread, I found a solution that didn't require a new power supply so hopefully this helps someone.
1. Install the Toshiba Eco Utility
2. Go to the Power Profiles in Windows. Windows 10: Start>Settings>System>Power & Sleep>Additional Power Settings
3. The Eco Utility should have created an "Eco" profile. Change back to Balanced.
At this point for me the CPU kicked right back up to speed without rebooting.

Note: I also had the Minimum Processor Power Management state set to 75% in the "Balanced" power profile as well. This didn't matter though until after I installed the Eco Utility.
Hope that helps someone!