• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU temp discrepancies

Sparhawk

Good morning,

I am a new user to the GPU-Z software and was wondering about the discrepancy between the CPU temperature in the TechPowerUp software and the ASUS software. I understand that GPU-Z is designed to show GPU hardware information and that the CPU temp is a nice to have, but don't understand why it might show different values.

Thanks.

1610119442898.png

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
GPU-Z shows the temperature of the hottest core, not sure what the ASUS software shows.

Does it have a per-core readout? What do you see in RealTemp?

Sparhawk

I took a look around the ASUS software and it's pretty bare bones when it comes to sensor information. The only listed temperature is what is shown. As for the Real temp data, it bounces around a bunch (obviously) but here is a snapshot

1610120326809.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@Sparhawk - Asus monitoring software has been low balling the CPU temperature for years. They must be reading temperature data from a different sensor compared to what every other monitoring program uses. Perhaps they are reading a temperature sensor within the CPU socket. Most software reports the peak core temperature from sensors that Intel has mounted on the individual cores. These sensors control thermal throttling. They supply the only CPU temperature data that you need to be aware of. Ignore the Asus number.

I have tested GPU-Z. I know it works correctly. When the CPU is fully and equally loaded, if your CPU temperature is stable, most monitoring programs should show the exact same thing. When a CPU is only partially loaded, the individual core temperatures can be rapidly jumping up and down so two different monitoring programs might report a slight difference in temperatures. This is caused by sampling the same sensor at a slightly different time. A CPU core can change temperatures rapidly within the standard one second temperature monitoring interval.

You can also use ThrottleStop. It has a More Data option you can check on the main screen. This changes it from sampling your CPU once per second to eight times per second. This improves the probability that it will report the true maximum temperature. It also operates at a higher Windows priority so it gets preference over other monitoring apps when it is time to sample your CPU.

Edit - GPU-Z also allows you to increase the sampling frequency. Go into the Settings - Sensors tab to adjust this.

Your temps are fine, your CPU is running great. Nothing to worry about.

1610142886839.png

Last edited:

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
If still in doubt, you could try using more hardware temperature monitoring software to increase sample size comparison from any of the links below, all of them, free to use:

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Use HWiNFO.

Also, those temps seem high for voltage, frequency and load. What test or benchmark are you running during those screenshots?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Most motherboards have 2 temp sensors, CPU and CPU socket, one seems to measure the temp of the motherboard inside the socket area.

You can see the difference how the temp reports, one reports almost instant changes while the other responds slower.

Sparhawk

Use HWiNFO.

Also, those temps seem high for voltage, frequency and load. What test or benchmark are you running during those screenshots?
I've used HWInfo in the past and may have forgotten about it :oops:. As for running software, I am folding in the background so things are a little high in usage.

@unclewebb It looks a lot like you say, the Asus software is under representing the actual temperatures. I took a look a a couple other pieces of software which show temp, and thus far the Mobo software is right out to lunch. Good to know, and truly thank you to everyone for their input. It is really nice to get high quality responses to an obvious newb.