• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Throttling at High Performance settings

P4-630

The Way It's Meant to be Played
System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 6700K @ 4.3GHz (1.170 V) / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz CL15 / 6GB DDR4 Samsung 2400MHz CL15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8GB / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 970 evo 500GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + Hitachi 2.5" 7200rpm 750GB / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p + 21.5" LG 22MP67VQ IPS 60Hz 1080p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX Onboard / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 10 500 Watt CM / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10
System Name Pioneer
Processor Intel i9 9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 @ 14-14-14-34-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
Storage HGST UltraStar 7K6000 3.5" HDD 2TB 7200 RPM (w/128MBs of Cache)
Display(s) LG 32GK850G-B 1440p 32" AMVA Panel G-Sync 144hz Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink to Schiit Modi Multibit to Asgard 2 Amp to AKG K7XX Ruby Red Massdrop Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 750W 80Plus Titanium
Mouse ROCCAT Kone EMP
Keyboard WASD CODE 104-Key w/ Cherry MX Green Keyswitches, Doubleshot Vortex PBT White Transluscent Keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
When i stress test it, it keeps at 3.1 GHz, so that is not temporary. Also, even if you're right, why does it keep going back to 1200 MHz? It should fluctuate between 2.3 and 3.1 GHz
That's the nature of Intel Speedstep, which I doubt you can disable in a laptop bios. It throttles to thermal conditions. It also throttles up/down based on power draw, usage, etc. It's rather complicated honestly, but this is normal behavior and I doubt it's to blame.

P4-630

The Way It's Meant to be Played
System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 6700K @ 4.3GHz (1.170 V) / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz CL15 / 6GB DDR4 Samsung 2400MHz CL15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8GB / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 970 evo 500GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + Hitachi 2.5" 7200rpm 750GB / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p + 21.5" LG 22MP67VQ IPS 60Hz 1080p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX Onboard / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 10 500 Watt CM / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10
View attachment 73652

This is how mine looks while working. it is unable to max it out like in your instance.
Well, if i bench it, it does, but that's not the point.
It does nothing, really....
The PROCHOT of your CPU in that laptop is set at 104 degrees, then it throttles, that was the point.
It's unlikely that you ever reach that CPU temp with what you are doing on your laptop.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name A dancer in your disco of fire
Processor i3 4130 3.4Ghz
Motherboard MSI B85M-E45
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1400Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 760 DCU2OC 2GB
Storage Crucial BX100 120GB | WD Blue 1TB x 2
Display(s) BenQ GL2450HT
Case AeroCool DS Cube White
Power Supply Cooler Master G550M
Mouse Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Cherry MX-Board 3.0
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I once had +100 dorfs in DF, so yeah pretty great
What issues do you get when it clocks down?

And modern CPU's are made to fluctuate in speed. There's no CPU load, hence it clocks down, as it should. Intel calls it SpeedStep and if you don't have an option for it it probably can't be disabled.

What make and model is the laptop?

Achib

What issues do you get when it clocks down?

And modern CPU's are made to fluctuate in speed. There's no CPU load, hence it clocks down, as it should. Intel calls it SpeedStep and if you don't have an option for it it probably can't be disabled.

What make and model is the laptop?

I believe the problem is that the changing of the clock lags slightly behind the load peaks, which, when working with audio, causes dropouts and an inability to use lower latency.
I can disable turboboost, which then keeps it at a constant nominal freq of 2.3 GHz.
What I wanna know is if I can do the same but have it at the max freq of 3.1 GHz.
Throttlestop doesn't do anything in that respect.

What really irritates me is that my CPU can handle 3.1 GHz, but I don't have the option to set that as the constant frequency.
I don't care about power consumption or any of that. As far as I'm concerned, speedstep is entirely useless.
If it could fluctuate between the nominal 2.3 and the maximum 3.1GHz, it would probably be fine, but that is impossible to do obviously...It's just so frustrating.
Modern tech just seems to be going backwards in some respects.
Locked out features designed for low level users. People surfing and watching YT videos don't need an i7 anyway, and whether I want to lower my power consumption or not should be left up to me and not be set as default.

It's all Al Gore's fault, damned fraudulent liar. :D

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
You need to disable the C States by editing your registry.

Most laptops do not let you toggle the C States on and off in the bios but there is a registry mod you can use if you want to see what your laptop is like with the C States disabled.

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm
Go to the above registry key and set Start to 4 to disable the C2/C3/C6/C7 low power core and package C states. Default value for this is 3. You will need to reboot to see any change.

After doing this, ThrottleStop will show you that your CPU is consuming a lot more power and the core temperatures even when idle are going to be much higher.

This might let you run at 3.1 GHz. I have tried this trick before on my 4700MQ but it has been a while so I think I will reboot and see what I get, besides a hot lap. Intel created C States for a reason but I agree that they can be a pain when doing audio work.

Edit - Here is the result.

No C States being used when the CPU is idle and a solid 34.00 multiplier across all 4 cores. Check out the CPU core temp. It is usually half that at idle. Reported power consumption is also around 1.5 W or less usually when using all of the C States. With this setting, you can still toggle on and off the C1E C State if you want to keep power consumption down. That cuts idle power consumption in half. When you need maximum performance, toggle C1E off. Simple.

Edit - Here's a pic with all C States on just for comparison. The temp difference is not as big as I thought it was but it is not a fair comparison because with C States disabled, the CPU fan runs faster. Barely audible with C States enabled.

Last edited:

Achib

You need to disable the C States by editing your registry.

Most laptops do not let you toggle the C States on and off in the bios but there is a registry mod you can use if you want to see what your laptop is like with the C States disabled.

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm
Go to the above registry key and set Start to 4 to disable the C2/C3/C6/C7 low power core and package C states. Default value for this is 3. You will need to reboot to see any change.

After doing this, ThrottleStop will show you that your CPU is consuming a lot more power and the core temperatures even when idle are going to be much higher.

This might let you run at 3.1 GHz. I have tried this trick before on my 4700MQ but it has been a while so I think I will reboot and see what I get, besides a hot lap. Intel created C States for a reason but I agree that they can be a pain when doing audio work.

Edit - Here is the result.

No C States being used when the CPU is idle and a solid 34.00 multiplier across all 4 cores. Check out the CPU core temp. It is usually half that at idle. Reported power consumption is also around 1.5 W or less usually when using all of the C States. With this setting, you can still toggle on and off the C1E C State if you want to keep power consumption down. That cuts idle power consumption in half. When you need maximum performance, toggle C1E off. Simple.

That........... WORKED!

YEAH MAN!!!

Thank you so much.
I was beginning to think it was a lost cause but you came as a life saver.

I'm in your debt, man, and if you were here, I'd kiss you, hahaha.

Thank you to everyone else for their time and effort as well.

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
How about post a ThrottleStop screenshot so we can see the results? I like seeing the TechPowerUp logo.

Thanks for jogging my memory. It has been a while since I used that trick.

Edit - Just for the record, this trick lets you run your CPU full time at the 4 core turbo multiplier which should be 31 for a Core i7-3610QM.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-3610QM Mobile processor.html

It will still throttle lower than this if you are working the CPU to the max and it exceeds either the temperature or turbo power limitation which should be 45 Watts for this CPU.

Last edited:

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
Looks good. Let us know if this improves audio recording.

Edit - When you do not need full speed, you can use ThrottleStop to run your CPU at any speed you like. The Set Multiplier feature only works when SpeedStep is enabled. Here is slow mode combined with C1E enabled.

The rest of the C States are disabled. This way your laptop is usable without having to edit the registry and reboot.

Last edited:

Achib

I tried it out just now and.....
It fixed everything.
I can now work with a 128 sample buffer without ANY PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.
It works as smooth as a baby's ass.
DPC latency checker shows a decrease in system latency of around 50 microseconds on average (my estimate), as well.
Hope this thread helps other people as well, as there seems to be a lot of myths and misunderstandings out there.

I'm just thrilled right now, can't wait for my next band practice :D

Big thanks to everyone, but first and foremost, Unclewebb.
You rule, man!
:D

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor Intel 5960X @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
Cooling Custom Loop. 360+240 rads.
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2966MHz 16-17-17-35
Video Card(s) ASUS 1080 Ti FE + water block
Storage Optane 900P + Samsung PM981 NVMe 1TB + 750 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10 insider
For me also core parking disabling helps with the audio tasks... the throttling just issues a low level interrupt thus screwing everything else in the pipe... logically it will cause audio stutter.

Although the issue seems solved , i would like to mention , if the virtual memory contributes to the issue , might disable it under the condition the laptop has enough memory

Last edited: