• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Throttling at High Performance settings

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Here is the answer:
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/ThrottleStop/

With this little software you can see at what temp your CPU throttles.

PROCHOT is the throttle temp.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
When i stress test it, it keeps at 3.1 GHz, so that is not temporary. Also, even if you're right, why does it keep going back to 1200 MHz? It should fluctuate between 2.3 and 3.1 GHz

That's the nature of Intel Speedstep, which I doubt you can disable in a laptop bios. It throttles to thermal conditions. It also throttles up/down based on power draw, usage, etc. It's rather complicated honestly, but this is normal behavior and I doubt it's to blame.

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Mine has Tj 85C and throttles at 83C ! Intel said what they said .

He didnt ask what the best max temp was . There is difference between optimal and throttle temp
I never mentioned anything about optimal temp or best max temp. Don't try to put words in my mouth thank you.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
View attachment 73652

This is how mine looks while working. it is unable to max it out like in your instance.
Well, if i bench it, it does, but that's not the point.
It does nothing, really....

The PROCHOT of your CPU in that laptop is set at 104 degrees, then it throttles, that was the point.
It's unlikely that you ever reach that CPU temp with what you are doing on your laptop.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
What issues do you get when it clocks down?

And modern CPU's are made to fluctuate in speed. There's no CPU load, hence it clocks down, as it should. Intel calls it SpeedStep and if you don't have an option for it it probably can't be disabled.

What make and model is the laptop?

Achib

What issues do you get when it clocks down?

And modern CPU's are made to fluctuate in speed. There's no CPU load, hence it clocks down, as it should. Intel calls it SpeedStep and if you don't have an option for it it probably can't be disabled.

What make and model is the laptop?

I believe the problem is that the changing of the clock lags slightly behind the load peaks, which, when working with audio, causes dropouts and an inability to use lower latency.
I can disable turboboost, which then keeps it at a constant nominal freq of 2.3 GHz.
What I wanna know is if I can do the same but have it at the max freq of 3.1 GHz.
Throttlestop doesn't do anything in that respect.

What really irritates me is that my CPU can handle 3.1 GHz, but I don't have the option to set that as the constant frequency.
I don't care about power consumption or any of that. As far as I'm concerned, speedstep is entirely useless.
If it could fluctuate between the nominal 2.3 and the maximum 3.1GHz, it would probably be fine, but that is impossible to do obviously...It's just so frustrating.
Modern tech just seems to be going backwards in some respects.
Locked out features designed for low level users. People surfing and watching YT videos don't need an i7 anyway, and whether I want to lower my power consumption or not should be left up to me and not be set as default.

It's all Al Gore's fault, damned fraudulent liar. :D

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
You need to disable the C States by editing your registry.

Most laptops do not let you toggle the C States on and off in the bios but there is a registry mod you can use if you want to see what your laptop is like with the C States disabled.

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm

Go to the above registry key and set Start to 4 to disable the C2/C3/C6/C7 low power core and package C states. Default value for this is 3. You will need to reboot to see any change.

After doing this, ThrottleStop will show you that your CPU is consuming a lot more power and the core temperatures even when idle are going to be much higher.

This might let you run at 3.1 GHz. I have tried this trick before on my 4700MQ but it has been a while so I think I will reboot and see what I get, besides a hot lap. Intel created C States for a reason but I agree that they can be a pain when doing audio work.

Edit - Here is the result.

No C States being used when the CPU is idle and a solid 34.00 multiplier across all 4 cores. Check out the CPU core temp. It is usually half that at idle. Reported power consumption is also around 1.5 W or less usually when using all of the C States. With this setting, you can still toggle on and off the C1E C State if you want to keep power consumption down. That cuts idle power consumption in half. When you need maximum performance, toggle C1E off. Simple.

Edit - Here's a pic with all C States on just for comparison. The temp difference is not as big as I thought it was but it is not a fair comparison because with C States disabled, the CPU fan runs faster. Barely audible with C States enabled.

Last edited:

Achib

You need to disable the C States by editing your registry.

Most laptops do not let you toggle the C States on and off in the bios but there is a registry mod you can use if you want to see what your laptop is like with the C States disabled.

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm

Go to the above registry key and set Start to 4 to disable the C2/C3/C6/C7 low power core and package C states. Default value for this is 3. You will need to reboot to see any change.

After doing this, ThrottleStop will show you that your CPU is consuming a lot more power and the core temperatures even when idle are going to be much higher.

This might let you run at 3.1 GHz. I have tried this trick before on my 4700MQ but it has been a while so I think I will reboot and see what I get, besides a hot lap. Intel created C States for a reason but I agree that they can be a pain when doing audio work.

Edit - Here is the result.

No C States being used when the CPU is idle and a solid 34.00 multiplier across all 4 cores. Check out the CPU core temp. It is usually half that at idle. Reported power consumption is also around 1.5 W or less usually when using all of the C States. With this setting, you can still toggle on and off the C1E C State if you want to keep power consumption down. That cuts idle power consumption in half. When you need maximum performance, toggle C1E off. Simple.

That........... WORKED!

YEAH MAN!!!

Thank you so much.
I was beginning to think it was a lost cause but you came as a life saver.

I'm in your debt, man, and if you were here, I'd kiss you, hahaha.

Thank you to everyone else for their time and effort as well.

unclewebb

How about post a ThrottleStop screenshot so we can see the results? I like seeing the TechPowerUp logo.

Thanks for jogging my memory. It has been a while since I used that trick.

Edit - Just for the record, this trick lets you run your CPU full time at the 4 core turbo multiplier which should be 31 for a Core i7-3610QM.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-3610QM Mobile processor.html

It will still throttle lower than this if you are working the CPU to the max and it exceeds either the temperature or turbo power limitation which should be 45 Watts for this CPU.

Last edited:

Achib

How about post a ThrottleStop screenshot so we can see the results? I like seeing the TechPowerUp logo.

Thanks for jogging my memory. It has been a while since I used that trick.
Throttle2.png

GLORIOUS!!! :D

unclewebb

GLORIOUS!!! :D

Looks good. Let us know if this improves audio recording.

Edit - When you do not need full speed, you can use ThrottleStop to run your CPU at any speed you like. The Set Multiplier feature only works when SpeedStep is enabled. Here is slow mode combined with C1E enabled.

The rest of the C States are disabled. This way your laptop is usable without having to edit the registry and reboot.

Last edited:

Achib

I tried it out just now and.....
It fixed everything.
I can now work with a 128 sample buffer without ANY PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.
It works as smooth as a baby's ass.
DPC latency checker shows a decrease in system latency of around 50 microseconds on average (my estimate), as well.
Hope this thread helps other people as well, as there seems to be a lot of myths and misunderstandings out there.

I'm just thrilled right now, can't wait for my next band practice :D

Big thanks to everyone, but first and foremost, Unclewebb.
You rule, man!
:D

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
For me also core parking disabling helps with the audio tasks... the throttling just issues a low level interrupt thus screwing everything else in the pipe... logically it will cause audio stutter.

Although the issue seems solved , i would like to mention , if the virtual memory contributes to the issue , might disable it under the condition the laptop has enough memory

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
If its already writing out to the page file as is, how would disabling it make things better? You would need more RAM. Make sense little cat, you are at it yet again... :wtf: