• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Upgrade causes RAM to not work

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It is not about my experience with Ryzens or Intels, or Corsair. Even though it may be extensive, it is all anecdotal.

The fact is the vast majority of Corsair RAM marketed as compatible is compatible with Ryzens. If a stick (or kit) has compatibility issues, those are exceptions and not the rule. And exceptions don't make the rule.

I have to point out that Corsair does not make their own memory modules. Like most other RAM stick makers, most of their modules (individual ICs) are made by Samsung, Micron, or Hynix. And because all sticks MUST comply with industry standards (that is, they don't use proprietary protocols, timings, or coding), they are manufactured to industry standard specifications. So "in theory ", any RAM stick from any maker manufactured to a compatible specification "should " work. If it doesn't, that's an exception.

Now of course, everybody knows "in theory" and "real-world" don't always jive - but again, those are the exceptions. Until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be exceptions. But the fact is, RAM manufacturing today is pretty darn precise. This is one reason it is difficult to find RAM that is NOT warrantied for life. It is also why RAM makers don't individually test and pair sticks anymore (like they did years ago) to make their dual-channel and triple channel kits. They just grab two (or three) sticks from the assembly line and put them in the same package.

I think we hear more about Corsair compatibility issues because Corsair is such a big player in the RAM market. Ever heard of Klevv RAM compatibility issues? Maybe that's because most of us have never heard of Klevv RAM.

If Corsair RAM was incompatible, the reports would be massively widespread. And that is not happening.

If the RAM is listed on the RAM QVL, or if the RAM has the same specs as listed RAM, and if the CPU is on the CPU QVL, it is then up to the motherboard/chipset to ensure the RAM and CPU play well together. So if the RAM worked fine with the old CPU and doesn't with the new CPU, I'm pointing fingers at the motherboard firmware.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
absoultutely hilarious to see same people insist on blaming corsair ram or gigabyte boards for memory issues on ryzen.
as if ryzen was memory trouble free on its own.
of course it's the cpu - if it was working on ryzen 2000 and you only replaced the cpu how can it be the board or ram.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
It is not about my experience with Ryzens or Intels, or Corsair. Even though it may be extensive, it is all anecdotal.

The fact is the vast majority of Corsair RAM marketed as compatible is compatible with Ryzens. If a stick (or kit) has compatibility issues, those are exceptions and not the rule. And exceptions don't make the rule.

I have to point out that Corsair does not make their own memory modules. Like most other RAM stick makers, most of their modules (individual ICs) are made by Samsung, Micron, or Hynix. And because all sticks MUST comply with industry standards (that is, they don't use proprietary protocols, timings, or coding), they are manufactured to industry standard specifications. So "in theory ", any RAM stick from any maker manufactured to a compatible specification "should " work. If it doesn't, that's an exception.

Now of course, everybody knows "in theory" and "real-world" don't always jive - but again, those are the exceptions. Until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be exceptions. But the fact is, RAM manufacturing today is pretty darn precise. This is one reason it is difficult to find RAM that is NOT warrantied for life. It is also why RAM makers don't individually test and pair sticks anymore (like they did years ago) to make their dual-channel and triple channel kits. They just grab two (or three) sticks from the assembly line and put them in the same package.

I think we hear more about Corsair compatibility issues because Corsair is such a big player in the RAM market. Ever heard of Klevv RAM compatibility issues? Maybe that's because most of us have never heard of Klevv RAM.

If Corsair RAM was incompatible, the reports would be massively widespread. And that is not happening.

If the RAM is listed on the RAM QVL, or if the RAM has the same specs as listed RAM, and if the CPU is on the CPU QVL, it is then up to the motherboard/chipset to ensure the RAM and CPU play well together. So if the RAM worked fine with the old CPU and doesn't with the new CPU, I'm pointing fingers at the motherboard firmware.

Sorry, say what? Corsair screens all the memory ICs they use and they make their own modules. In fact, I personally know one of their DRAM engineering managers, so I know very well what they do or don't. Yes, they don't make memory ICs, but you need to get your terminology straight, instead of spreading FUD.

Yes, there are standards for memory modules, but for whatever reason, certain types of memory modules from Corsair don't work well with Ryzen. Their cheaper LPX modules appears to be having the most issues and it seems to be a very common problem, especially when paired with a Ryzen 3000. However, in addition to this, at least with certain AGESA/UEFI builds, RAM with odd CAS latencies work poorly with Ryzen 3000 as well. I can't run my Hynix CJR modules at their rated CAS 17, but they're perfectly fine at CAS 16. Likewise, XMP doesn't work at all, but I can run them at much tighter timings by setting it up manually, although this most likely has something to do with the XMP setting being CAS 17. AMD's memory controller is nothing like Intel's and there are huge differences in how they work with various memory settings.

So yes, a lot of things should work a certain when, but when the goal posts are moved, they no longer work as you think they would and AMD moved the goal posts with Ryzen 3000. We're also talking about older modules here and I'm sure some other older memory modules works poorly with Ryzen 3000 as well. However, as you point out, Corsair is one of the bigger retail memory companies, which means that it's a lot more obvious when there's an issue with their products, as more people are reporting it. Corsair also has a lot of sub-versions of their modules, which makes it really tricky to figure out what's working or not working, as they don't always print the sub-versions on the modules. Go have a look at the Corsair forums and you'll see plenty of people having issues, but only with certain specific modules, such as the LPX.

QVL's aren't worth much in my book, but that's my personally opinion based on my experience. They're at best an indicator at what might work, since the board makers aren't going to be testing an extensive range of CPUs with the memory and they also have limited access to memory. FYI, they only test what they're given by the memory manufacturers, they don't actively purchase modules for testing. As such, the QVL's are always going to be biased towards memory manufacturers that send them modules for testing and not much more.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Sorry, say what? Corsair screens all the memory ICs they use and they make their own modules. In fact, I personally know one of their DRAM engineering managers, so I know very well what they do or don't. Yes, they don't make memory ICs, but you need to get your terminology straight, instead of spreading FUD.

Yes, there are standards for memory modules, but for whatever reason, certain types of memory modules from Corsair don't work well with Ryzen. Their cheaper LPX modules appears to be having the most issues and it seems to be a very common problem, especially when paired with a Ryzen 3000. However, in addition to this, at least with certain AGESA/UEFI builds, RAM with odd CAS latencies work poorly with Ryzen 3000 as well. I can't run my Hynix CJR modules at their rated CAS 17, but they're perfectly fine at CAS 16. Likewise, XMP doesn't work at all, but I can run them at much tighter timings by setting it up manually, although this most likely has something to do with the XMP setting being CAS 17. AMD's memory controller is nothing like Intel's and there are huge differences in how they work with various memory settings.

So yes, a lot of things should work a certain when, but when the goal posts are moved, they no longer work as you think they would and AMD moved the goal posts with Ryzen 3000. We're also talking about older modules here and I'm sure some other older memory modules works poorly with Ryzen 3000 as well. However, as you point out, Corsair is one of the bigger retail memory companies, which means that it's a lot more obvious when there's an issue with their products, as more people are reporting it. Corsair also has a lot of sub-versions of their modules, which makes it really tricky to figure out what's working or not working, as they don't always print the sub-versions on the modules. Go have a look at the Corsair forums and you'll see plenty of people having issues, but only with certain specific modules, such as the LPX.

QVL's aren't worth much in my book, but that's my personally opinion based on my experience. They're at best an indicator at what might work, since the board makers aren't going to be testing an extensive range of CPUs with the memory and they also have limited access to memory. FYI, they only test what they're given by the memory manufacturers, they don't actively purchase modules for testing. As such, the QVL's are always going to be biased towards memory manufacturers that send them modules for testing and not much more.
is Patriot Viper better in terms of compability ?

D

Deleted member 163934

Before powering up the pc with a cpu from another generation I suggest you to do a bios reset. It just might not change all the bios setting else and cause issues later, until you reset the bios.

----

If one module happy works no matter in what slot you place it (better said you place it in each of the slots and it happy works) then it's not really a bend pin.

If the 4 modules worked with the old cpu then it's not the mb or the ram (unless you damaged something when you changed the cpu) (I talk about the real cause of the problem from a physical point of view; the mb can be from the software point of view because the bios is a piece of software but you have no real control over what the manufacturer is doing with the bios (sure you can update some modules but I doubt you can fix a problem like yours by just replacing some bios modules)).

Do you still have the 1700 ? If yes can you put it back and see if the pc happy works with the 4 ram modules. (This is gonna rule out any damage done when you changed the cpu).

----

Regarding your issue...

If you can, test the ryzen 3600 in another motherboard. Preferably in one with that had a ryzen 3xxx installed before with 4 ram stick and was happy working. If it shows same issues as in your motherboard then the new cpu is just bad and you should RMA it. (you might not be able to do such test because u need a friend having an 3xxx willing to let you test your cpu)

Or the bios to support ryzen 3 has issue and you basicaly can't do anything about it except replacing the mb or waiting for a new bios (sucks i know it).

Or the cpu you got has some IMC issues. (you might try to bump a bit the voltage there, doubt it will do much and for sure it won't make it able to handle all 4 modules; if it was only the 4th module having issue (it was working with 3 but adding the 4th was causing problems) a bit more voltage might had fix it but with only 1/4 doubt a voltage bump will get it higher than 2/4).

Or the cpu you got is just bad, unless you test it in another mb that is known to work with all 4 modules and a ryzen 3xxx you will not really know.

I can't suggest you to buy a new mb because the 3600 might just not like your ram or the 3600 is just bad. In same time I can't suggest you to buy a new ram because you might face the same problem even with the new ram, maybe it's the mb that has awfull bios support for the 3xxx or the 3600 is just bad. Heck if it works with all 4 modules when you put back the 1700 I'd return the 3600 but that's just me (too much stress to fix something that supposed to just work (the motherboard and the 4 sticks worked with the prev cpu, you updated the bios to one that support the 3600 so is should just work...))...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry, say what? Corsair screens all the memory ICs they use and they make their own modules.

you need to get your terminology straight, instead of spreading FUD.
:( Look at the QVL for that board. You can easily see under "Chip Brand" who the OEM maker of the actual IC is for each RAM stick maker. And for Corsair, they typically use Samsung, Micron and Hynix for "their individual ICs" - which is what I said. So it is you who needs to do your homework, get your terminology straight and stop spreading FUD and attacking others.

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (387W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.3.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)
Do you still have the 1700 ? If yes can you put it back and see if the pc happy works with the 4 ram modules. (This is gonna rule out any damage when you changed the cpu).

----

Regarding your issue...
If you can, test the ryzen 3600 in another motherboard. Preferably in one with that had a ryzen 3xxx installed before with 4 ram stick and was happy working. If it shows same issues as in your motherboard then the new cpu is just bad and you should RMA it. (you might not be able to do such test because u need a friend having an 3xxx willing to let you test your cpu)
Or the bios to support ryzen 3 has issue and you basicaly can't do anything about it except replacing the mb or waiting for a new bios (sucks i know it).
Or the cpu you got has some IMC issues. (you might try to bump a bit the voltage there, doubt it will do much and for sure it won't make it able to handle all 4 modules; if it was only the 4th module having issue (it was working with 3 but adding the 4th was causing problems) a bit more voltage might had fix it but with only 1/4 doubt a voltage bump won't get it higher than 2/4).
Or the cpu you got is just bad, unless you test it in another mb that is known to work with all 4 modules and a ryzen 3xxx you will not really know.

I can't suggest you to buy a new mb because the 3600 might just not like your ram or the 3600 is just bad. In same time I can't suggest you to buy a new ram because you might face the same problem even with the new ram, maybe it's the mb that has awfull bios or the 3600 is just bad. Heck if it works with all 4 modules when you put back the 1700 I'd return the 3600 but that's just me (too much stress to fix something that supposed to just work)...
Put the 1700 back in and now I have the same issue with that cpu. Safe to say at this point that the motherboard is probably the issue here. On my way to replace it now - if a new board fixes it, then I guess those two dimm slots felt like dying at the exact moment I swapped CPUs

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
:( Look at the QVL for that board. You can easily see under "Chip Brand" who the OEM maker of the actual IC is for each RAM stick maker. And for Corsair, they typically use Samsung, Micron and Hynix for "their individual ICs" - which is what I said. So it is you who needs to do your homework, get your terminology straight and stop spreading FUD and attacking others.

Yes Bill, that was exactly what you said :wtf:
I have to point out that Corsair does not make their own memory modules.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I also clarified by saying
most of their modules (individual ICs) are made by Samsung, Micron, or Hynix
But of course, you once again extract snippets out of context and instead of simply clarifying the information, launch affronts against the poster. I guess that makes you feel good.

But rather than risk further confrontation that does the OP no good, I'm done here.

D

Deleted member 163934

@Zach_01 I missed that part.

Only thing I can say is to clean the ram contacts and the contacts in the ram slots. Being a relative new motherboard this shouldn't really be the problem. I had to do something like this on an 8+ years old motherboard that had issues with one of the ram slots.

The only time I actually had a ram slot totaly refusing to work was when the cpu was not seated properly. (So I can't really exclude a similar situation. More like the cpu not doing proper contact in the slot cpu). (Modules happy worked in slot 1 but refused to work in slot 2, i was getting no beeps just the pc refusing to boot.)

Looking for issues with the pins inside the ram slots can say if the ram slots are damaged or not. Should kinda be visible if one of more pins are broken. (You gonna see them either totaly missing or trying to make contact with the ones on the other side or well on the button of the slot (because they got pressed by the ram stick there.) If a pin is half broken you might be able to get that slot working but it's painfull to stick the ram in it (if you don't do it right, and it's easy to not do it right cause u do it blindly, you gonna bend that pin and find it on the bottom of the slot, then you gonna have to bring it back to it's somehow normal position and if you do it too many times you gonna break it...; there is also the risk to damage the mem stick also...) and well if you gonna have to use the same procedure if you want to replace that ram (you might forget you have a problem with that ram slot), replacing that slot or the mb are far better solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I also clarified by sayingBut of course, you once again extract snippets out of context and instead of simply clarifying the information, launch affronts against the poster. I guess that makes you feel good.

But rather than risk further confrontation that does the OP no good, I'm done here.
Sorry Bill, but you claim you're here to help people, yet you seem to cause more confusion than anything else.
I didn't take anything out of context, as I wrote and entire reply, which you largely ignored by the looks of it.
And in as much as you have a point that memory should just work, as both the DRAM itself and the modules are built around standards, sadly, reality is very different.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Only thing I can say is to clean the ram contacts and the contacts in the ram slots.
With care (and good ESD precautions), cleaning the RAM contacts with a clean pencil erasure might be a good idea. Give them a quick blast with canned dusting gas after erasing to ensure all the erasure "crumbs" are gone before reinserting. Cleaning the slots can be more difficult. I recommend using electrical contact cleaner and a soft acid brush for them.
Sorry Bill, but you claim you're here to help people, yet you seem to cause more confusion than anything else.
If you are confused, simply ask for clarification. I see no need to demean others by telling them to get their terminologies straight and to stop spreading FUD. Or you can simply press the Report link. In that same post I clearly explained that I was talking about "individual ICs" so it was taken out of context and clearly, the rest was ignored. So as I just said, if what I posted confused you, I suggest you simply ask for clarification instead of degrading the thread with personal affronts.

System Name Custom build - I built it for gaming and some content creation
Processor Intel i7 12700K on air
Motherboard MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 64GB G.Skill 3600 DDR4 [16GB x 4]
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Ti SUPRIM X, power limit 75% & Mem +300
Storage SSD: Sabrent Rocket 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1T
Display(s) 55" Samsung Q80T 120Hz at 4K [on my desk]
Case Cooler Master 922 HAF [3rd 200mm fan in door], 10 years old & fans still run
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Platinum PX-850
Mouse Corsair M55 RGB Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2
Benchmark Scores [GPU Score] Time Spy: 13 925 [Power Limit 75%, MEM +300, GPU Max Power 232w, Max Hot Spot 62.4C
Before returning the motherboard: 1.) increase RAM voltage to 1.38 to make sure enough is applied [you can change it back or lower the voltage if the RAM becomes stable. 2.) Boot the computer several times repeatedly, sometimes that permits a chip "memory" burn-in, in lieu of technobabble. Sometimes a motherboard has to "learn" the new hardware.

AMD is still having issues with motherboards and Ryzen 3000 CPUs and specifically the b450 Rog Strix F Gaming.

dayday0550

We can shut this beetch down. Mobo went bad during the install I guess. Bought the b450 MSI tomahawk that was Ryzen 3000 ready and it booted right up with the 3600, all ram readable and performance test passed. Guess it was just shit timing. What is it with motherboards lasting 6 months? This is the 4th one I’ve had to buy this year alone.....

I guess you get what you pay for.

System Name Custom build - I built it for gaming and some content creation
Processor Intel i7 12700K on air
Motherboard MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 64GB G.Skill 3600 DDR4 [16GB x 4]
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Ti SUPRIM X, power limit 75% & Mem +300
Storage SSD: Sabrent Rocket 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1T
Display(s) 55" Samsung Q80T 120Hz at 4K [on my desk]
Case Cooler Master 922 HAF [3rd 200mm fan in door], 10 years old & fans still run
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Platinum PX-850
Mouse Corsair M55 RGB Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2
Benchmark Scores [GPU Score] Time Spy: 13 925 [Power Limit 75%, MEM +300, GPU Max Power 232w, Max Hot Spot 62.4C
We can shut this beetch down. Mobo went bad during the install I guess. Bought the b450 MSI tomahawk that was Ryzen 3000 ready and it booted right up with the 3600, all ram readable and performance test passed. Guess it was just shit timing. What is it with motherboards lasting 6 months? This is the 4th one I’ve had to buy this year alone.....

I guess you get what you pay for.

Google AMD motherboard Buildzoid youtube. He is very talkative, however he is also very good at explaining hardware and why it is good or bad. This is a good place to start, although he does not get into the complexities of hardware for each board, he does give great advice:

dayday0550

Will do. And I thank you all for the help. I’ll hold on to the other mobo for testing and hopefully I can still get some use out of it in a plex media server that I’ve been wanting to build