• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Crash during games

Hi. I've recently gotten a new computer but it's starting to crash during games. Skype crashes too and I cant restart it. When i try to open up random programs after the crash (firefox etc.) it's showing white colors as black, and a youtube video is messed up with green/purple lines and that sort of thing. I have to restart the computer to get everything back to normal. That makes me suspect my graphics card. It's a 6950 with 6970 BIOS. I've been reading through a thread here about problems with that flash, and it seems that the main issue is artifacts which i haven't seen any of. I had my processor OC'd a bit too. It's a Phenom II 1090T. I had it bumped up to 3.8GHz and the smallest voltage jump (0.05v) but it didn't seem to be really stable so i knocked it down to 3.6GHz standard voltage.

EDIT: I've tried forcing the fan on the 9650 on 50% to keep the temps down (it was around 95c in BFBC2) and that kept it around 60c. The processor temp is topped at 55c

Any ideas on what's causing this, and what the solution may be?
Sorry for a small wall of text btw ;)

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX (MITX)
Processor Core i7 4770K @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard Asus Z87i-Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600 LP
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 OC
Storage Lots of SSD's
Display(s) AOC AGON AG352QCX
Case Raven RVZ-01
Power Supply SFX 450 G
Mouse Razer Mamba Tournament Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
for a start biring the CPU back to stock speed, and while your at it flip the mechanical bios switch on your 6950 (so its back to stock too) and see whats what.

then you can build up from there if everything is peachy

The processor should be okay since it's turbo mode is 3.6GHz. I could try both of those things, but the problem is that the crashes are random, and i have played days without any. I've had two today which lead to this thread.