• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

crash while overclocked fried card?

smeh

i have a radeon 9600 128mb video card thats a little over a year old. a couple months ago the bearings in the built in fan got messed up and i had to buy a new cooling system. after i did, since the new one is much more powerful than the original, i decided id try overclocking. i used atitool and ran the theshold detection utilities for close to an hour each and then lowered the settings some more just to be safe. all was going well until about a week ago when all of a sudden my comp monitor went to static and the comp froze while i was running the card overclocked. since then, if i try to start the computer with the card in it, it loads as far as the windows XP loading screen with the windows logo and the green bar. after that i get no signal to my monitor. sometimes if i wait long enough the monitor displays static for a couple seconds, then loses signal again. safemode, however, does work, though i am unable to install any drivers for the card while in safe mode. i know it is not entirely my computer, because i put the card into another one in the house with the same results, though the static signals to my monitor were a little more regular. also, when i load up my comp through the onboard video chipset, atitool comes up with an error message something like "cannot find base address of atimtag.sys" in addition to the warning that no ati hardware is installed.

i have tried everything i could think of. ive uninstalled all the drivers and attempted to reinstal them, though i cant get to windows with the card in, and cant install them without the card in. ive tried flashing a new bios to the video card through a boot disk. ive tried reformatting an old 8 gig drive and to start up the computer with a completely clean operating system. nothing has worked.

im hoping that since at least the bios and safe mode can be run through the card that its not dead, though i have a feeling it is. if anyone has any suggestions of something that might work i would be greatly appreciative.

gorber

Well. Sometimes they do just break. My Sapphire 9600PRO AIW started to burn on me and i lost signal completely (yes i had the case open when i tried to restart it and saw the flames from one of the circuits on the board). However i sent it to the retailer for warranty and got a X800VE AIW as replacement.

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
gorber said:
Well. Sometimes they do just break. My Sapphire 9600PRO AIW started to burn on me and i lost signal completely (yes i had the case open when i tried to restart it and saw the flames from one of the circuits on the board). However i sent it to the retailer for warranty and got a X800VE AIW as replacement.

any 9600 for any x800 is a heck of nice trade...
congrats, man... ;)

Kr4nG

yea dude you probably broke the card which sucks

Velocity

Processor Amd X2 5200
Motherboard DFI Lanparty UT
Cooling Antec Heat Pipe Cooler
Memory 2gb Kingston Hyperx
Video Card(s) BFG Tech 8800gtx (768mb)
Storage 1 80g raptor, 1 250g western digital, 2 80g maxtor diamond plus
Display(s) Starlogic 19inch crt, and generic 17inch crt
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5 (Blue)
Audio Device(s) Onboard FTW
Power Supply Antec Neopower
Software XP Pro
RMA and get a newer kick ass card :) *depending on ur situation it may not work*

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
yeah, that is the case in all probability.
but i would just replace the card if i were you...

heck, im gonna probably replace this old 9600 of mine with something a bit nicer pretty soon... so should you.

gorber

spectre440 said:
yeah, that is the case in all probability.
but i would just replace the card if i were you...

heck, im gonna probably replace this old 9600 of mine with something a bit nicer pretty soon... so should you.

It works fine in any HTPC although it is obviously not meant to rock in new games (however i only play tribes from 98 so...). The considerations is that its got only 4 pipelines (although very OC:able (running stable at 565/565))