• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crazy gigabyte X570 Master issue

hdtvguy

Damn, I have all sorts of issues with dual NVMe drives RAID 1. First 2 Samsung array goes critical after a day complaining about a drive. I exchange the drive and rebuild array, same issue a few hours later. Rotate drive to other slots and hours later same thing. Swapped Samsung for Crucial P5 drives, thought I was clear then 1.5 days same garbage again. Was on F20 just loaded F21, but already yanked drives. What a waste of $350 for a board that sucks so bad. Seems common theme of their BIOS is PCIe issues. Shame on me trusting Gigabyte after so many successful boards over the years.

Xspeed_

Update, after some more digging the culprit turned out to be not the BIOS nor hardware per se, at least in my case.
In the end I found out that it was because I tried using Gigabyte software utilities in conjunction with SVM enabled.
Like for example, with SVM launching EasyTune results in an instant BSOD (the infamous gdrv2.sys error).

In my case, using RGB Fusion with SVM enabled results in clearing the MBR boot sectors of AHCI drives. Why? Hell if I know.
Remove all Gigabyte apps and never look at them again.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Update, after some more digging the culprit turned out to be not the BIOS nor hardware per se, at least in my case.
In the end I found out that it was because I tried using Gigabyte software utilities in conjunction with SVM enabled.
Like for example, with SVM launching EasyTune results in an instant BSOD (the infamous gdrv2.sys error).

In my case, using RGB Fusion with SVM enabled results in clearing the MBR boot sectors of AHCI drives. Why? Hell if I know.
Remove all Gigabyte apps and never look at them again.
Ok I'll bite and risk sounding stupid, what is SVM?

hdtvguy

SVM is CPU virtu,aizarion. Odd that every Intel based MB in recent years I have used has this on by default. If you plan on using Hyper-V or any virtualization engine you need this on. If you never plan on using any of the VM products you can leave it off. I am not sure if the new Sandbox feature in Windows uses it or not. It just shows me while the AMD platform is a great value it is still very immature and you do get what you pay for. At least they have forced Intel to bring some higher core count CPUs to market at attainable prices.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
SVM is CPU virtu,aizarion. Odd that every Intel based MB in recent years I have used has this on by default. If you plan on using Hyper-V or any virtualization engine you need this on. If you never plan on using any of the VM products you can leave it off. I am not sure if the new Sandbox feature in Windows uses it or not. It just shows me while the AMD platform is a great value it is still very immature and you do get what you pay for. At least they have forced Intel to bring some higher core count CPUs to market at attainable prices.

This is a Gigabyte terrible BIOS/software issue, not an AMD issue.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
This is a Gigabyte terrible BIOS/software issue, not an AMD issue.
Nothing wrong with their UEFI, but some of their software leaves a lot to be desired.
They are apparently working on new software, but it's going to take some time...

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Nothing wrong with their UEFI, but some of their software leaves a lot to be desired.
They are apparently working on new software, but it's going to take some time...

I've encountered a few random problems with Gigabyte software like this (2 boards - z370 and x370) and always to do with their crappy RGB software where when it's updated, it may break other components. If you're sticking with simple RGB solid colours, then just control it through the bios and forgo the windows software.

Though, the Gigabyte mainboard software is still miles ahead of the MSI software on my HTPC (B450) MSI software just refuses to work in any meaningful way.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I've encountered a few random problems with Gigabyte software like this (2 boards - z370 and x370) and always to do with their crappy RGB software where when it's updated, it may break other components. If you're sticking with simple RGB solid colours, then just control it through the bios and forgo the windows software.

Though, the Gigabyte mainboard software is still miles ahead of the MSI software on my HTPC (B450) MSI software just refuses to work in any meaningful way.
MSI: Kudos to motherboard design...fail Dragon Center software.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section

Leandro1988

Hello!
I just stumbled upon this discussion, desperately looking for a solution to a problem that has been plaguing me for two days.
I installed an X570 Master, mounting a Ryzen 9 3900 X and 4 Corsair Vengance 16Gb on it.
I had already placed the 2 SSDs and the HDD on the previous build, Windows 10 installed on one of the two SSDs. All smooth.

I install the Aorus suite from the included CD, including the infamous RGB. At the first reboot I get the following: Reboot and Select proper boot device… PANIC!!!
I enter the Bios and the disks are read correctly, I put a USB stick with the Win10 installer and I discover that all three disks have been "formatted". Clean. Like new.

I reinstall Windows, I reinstall my programs, I put the damn Aorus suite back. This time, however, the error message (reboot and select bla bla bla) gives it to me when the PC goes into suspension.

Same thing: fully formatted drives. I reinstall Windows for the third time, I don't put anything in it and everything is smooth. I start putting the programs back. I lifted the suspension option from energy management. Done reboots, shut down the computer several times. All smooth!

Lastly I installed the Aorus suite and its own RGB controller was the last one on which an update is requested from the suite itself. Upon required reboot, the fucking error message again.

I'm trying to figure out the cause... but... can it really be that suite of softwares? Could that RGB controller really be formatting all three of my disks? o_O

hdtvguy

I avoid the Gigabyte software. I use the array, audio and chipset drivers from their support site, but I never use any other of the software most vendors provide. Since I don’t care about LEDs and such I just use drivers. I have been less than impressed with many of these add on suites for managing things like LEDs, fans, etc.

Leandro1988

I avoid the Gigabyte software. I use the array, audio and chipset drivers from their support site, but I never use any other of the software most vendors provide. Since I don’t care about LEDs and such I just use drivers. I have been less than impressed with many of these add on suites for managing things like LEDs, fans, etc.

I'll do the same. For me, the LEDs can also remain off, I really don't care about the lights if I have to get back in peace!

Yesterday I avoided installing that damn software suite and in fact the computer didn't have any kind of problem. It's amazing how an idiotic little program can do so much damage! I went from the hell of "Reboot and Select proper boot device..." and "formatted" hard drives to heaven. But ... did anyone tell Gigabyte that their software sucks? :banghead:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I'll do the same. For me, the LEDs can also remain off, I really don't care about the lights if I have to get back in peace!

Yesterday I avoided installing that damn software suite and in fact the computer didn't have any kind of problem. It's amazing how an idiotic little program can do so much damage! I went from the hell of "Reboot and Select proper boot device..." and "formatted" hard drives to heaven. But ... did anyone tell Gigabyte that their software sucks? :banghead:
Lots of people did. They're working on new software, but it's going to take time, as per my post form August above.

hdtvguy

Glad that fixed it. I had similar issues with the Gigabyte software because I wanted to be lazy and tweak the fans from the OS. Had a crash pretty quickly and removed the software, rock solid ever since. If I need to tweak the fans I just boot into the BIOS.