• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crazy Temps x850 PRO

shibbyy05

I just bought myself a new motherboard (ASUS P4S800D-X) and a couple of Corsair Dual Channel Gig sticks a couple of days ago.

Now that I have everything installed, I wanted to try and overclock my set up a little bit to see what kind of scores I could get in 3DMark05. When I opened up ATI Tool, I realized that my IDLE temp is at 82 degrees for my card.

Before I downloaded ATI Tool, I benched my card (ATI x850 PRO AGP(Unlocked to x850 XT PE)) with 3DMark05 to see what score I could get and my score ended up being 3989. This score seems pretty low for my card especially since my old set up was getting better results.

Do you think that since my TEMP is running so high that it is severely destroying my score? If so, do you guys recommend a cheap but good fan that I could purchase?

Here's my specs...

Intel P4 2.66 < -- problem of mine
ASUS P4S800D-X
ATI Radeon x850 PRO (unlocked)
2 gb Dual Channel Corsair
300 WATT PSU <-- Another problem of mine :ohwell:

Poisonsnak

Processor FX-8150
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme lapped & shimmed
Memory Patriot Viper Extreme 8GB DDR3-1866 9-11-9-27 1.65V
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr II @ 6970 875/1375
Storage Crucial M4 0309 64GB
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows [8] Developer Preview
That's very weird, my X850XT-PE gets about 6000 in 3dmark 05 so for you to only have 4000 means something is definitely wrong. As for that 82C idle temp that is way too high, try using ATITool to change the fan speed to 100% always. Also if you feel comfortable remove the video card's heatsink (voiding your warranty, unfortunately) and re-apply the thermal paste because the stuff they used probably is not working all that well.

For a new fan I would recommend the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5, I have one and my card idles at 40 C running 540/590 (stock). My case has pretty good cooling though so you may want to look into upgrading your case cooling also - what is your CPU temp like?

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
I have the VF700-Cu which is also great. 33-35 idle and 50-52 load.

shibbyy05

yea tell me about it, i've been doing nothing but non-stop troubleshooting for the past three days and have come up with absolutly nothing. I've been discussing this in xpert xchange, the futuremark website, ati's customer support, 3 of my tech guru friends and they can't come up with anything except buy this and buy that.

I actually ended up ordering the Arctic Cooler right after you mentioned it just because the thing looks so cool. From what I read, it looks like it is really silent and long-lasting which is a major plus. But I really have a feeling that there is something else going on here other then my temperatures. Check out all the stuff i've done...

1. Installed the latest Chipset drivers and BIOS for my motherboard.

2. Made sure the memory is set up for Dual Channel.

3. Re-formatted Windows XP Proffessional and installed all the latest updates including SP2

4. Installed the latest Catalyst Drivers (6.4) on several different occasions aswell as installing previous versions of catalyst to ensure that the new version wasn't having compatibilty issues.

5. Made sure my power supply was connected directly to my video card.

6. Made sure DMA is enabled in my HD.

7. Checked my device manager to make sure everything was running properly.

8. Checked all of my settings in CCC to make sure nothing would hold back my card. Everything is on balanced and my SMARTGART AGP speed is set to 8x. (no AA or AF)

9. Ran numerous different options through my bios including just setting everything to default.

10. Checked EVEREST Home Edition to make sure everything was being displayed right and nothing seemed out of place.

11. Defraged my computer.

12. Switched current memory sticks with old ones.

13. Inserted a different power cord from my PSU to my video card (which is th reason my score is at 4000 right now, it was 3000 before i did this.)

So, as you can tell, i've been going to town on my computer but absolutly nothing has helped. I have been to numerous other forums and other people seem to have this same problem before in which they either give up and buy new hardware or nobody could come up with an answer.

AHHH this is driving me crazy and i'm 2 steps away from dishing this out the window.

My cpu speed is at 55 Idle by the way. Which this is probably just because I figured out how to overclock my cpu with CPUCool lol.