• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Announces Sound BlasterX AE-5 Audiophile-grade Gaming Sound Card

Tangential, but here's where iTunes and especially Tidal comes in. We're talking games I know, but I sort of hope it will spread to games. IIRC for a while it looked lile people started to care about quality more (or maybe it was my perceptiol that changed), but then they didn't.

We used to have WAV already for game sounds. But unfortunately not 16bit 44.1kHz. It was usually 22.05 kHz. Would be nice if they used FLAC and went full quality with audio. If we tolerate games consiting 85% of texture files which can go up to almost 100GB in size, I see no reason why audio shouldn't be allowed to expand for few GB. It has always been neglected since Microsoft thrashed Direct3D and essentially killed EAX entirely. Back when EAX and A3D existed, companies at least cared about audio a bit. After that, it's basically there just because it has to be, but no one really cares much about it. Which is a shame because for me, audio aspect of game experience is as large as visual one. But since it's not in your face, not even people care. Which is again a shame. They don't even realize how much audio helps with immersion and whole experience.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
X-Fi was the last one to support analogs for 7.1. Now you can only buy an expensive Home Theater system and digitally connect it to it via HDMI. Oh wait! This card doesn't have HDMI....
So you are stuck with the crappy TOSLINK who cannot even do Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, or more than two channels of PCM audio.
Told you, those cards are a terrible downgrade from previous generations.
Or Pieneer home cinema is dead becouse off damaged usb flash drive, and you cannot use it for other projects or repair becouse service is not awailable or to expensive.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
It has always been neglected since Microsoft thrashed Direct3D and essentially killed EAX entirely.
That would be DirectSound. It was deprecated in favour of Universal Audio Architecture.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
We used to have WAV already for game sounds. But unfortunately not 16bit 44.1kHz. It was usually 22.05 kHz. Would be nice if they used FLAC and went full quality with audio. If we tolerate games consiting 85% of texture files which can go up to almost 100GB in size, I see no reason why audio shouldn't be allowed to expand for few GB. It has always been neglected since Microsoft thrashed Direct3D and essentially killed EAX entirely. Back when EAX and A3D existed, companies at least cared about audio a bit. After that, it's basically there just because it has to be, but no one really cares much about it. Which is a shame because for me, audio aspect of game experience is as large as visual one. But since it's not in your face, not even people care. Which is again a shame. They don't even realize how much audio helps with immersion and whole experience.
I seriously pity all the kids nowadays that didn't have a chance of playing the first Unreal, Thief or FEAR games using EAX or A3D. Is amazing that even with crappy speakers you had such an amazing 3D sound, full of volume and life, where you can clearly discern ups/downs/ fronts and backs even with stereo speakers or headset, where all the sounds had a different pitch and freq based of the environment, etc.
I really miss those times.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
This thread is like 80% of the reason why it had to be decades later that i first bothered with internet discussions..
All this knowledge, but still *%&$ for brains/used wrongly (in terms of conclusions).

If you think having a DAC entails quality and/or your knowing your #*% and/or audiophile, i can only laugh.
If generally speaking, you think listening to music should be done through your PC when quality is a factor, i can only say 'you poor millennial'.
If you have ever even thought about the USB way.. go back to your Playstation.
If you fail to grasp how a sound card is still an actual benefit for a vast majority of PC users (games, work)... stick to solitaire and facebook.

Don't come here saying this is useless, bad or excess when you clearly fail to grasp its benefits and purpose.

Now to the person linking a 2016 random PCB as that of this card in specific, shame dude, really :)
Lastly, since someone else mentioned it, no. You don't know your mobo's integrated sounds just as good. You think it does. Usually, we compare first, conclude afterwards. Have you bought one to compare? No? Then why come back here and post your opinion as fact?

Never understood this.. why gather all this knowledge when.. whatever. Back to browsing :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
I seriously pity all the kids nowadays that didn't have a chance of playing the first Unreal, Thief or FEAR games using EAX or A3D. Is amazing that even with crappy speakers you had such an amazing 3D sound, full of volume and life, where you can clearly discern ups/downs/ fronts and backs even with stereo speakers or headset, where all the sounds had a different pitch and freq based of the environment, etc.
I really miss those times.
Yep, once you experience EAX and play those game back without EAX, it felt empty. Still remember how good Doom3 with EAX4, each room sounds different and how I turn my head around when I hear door slamming behind me in F.E.A.R. Since EAX death there isn't a single sound engine that is interesting.

I could say a million things bout this new card but going to comment on some things:
Same crap SoundCore3D DSP (software stuff not hardware like CA20K2)
ESS SabreDAC don't mean whack, some proper Cirrus or BurrBrown DAC like CS4398 or PCM1798 would be better
Discrete output is interesting
G-Luxon crappy capacitor all over the board, they gone backwards
LM4562 opamp on other channel (good)

TLDR: nothing interesting. Stick with my X-Fi Titanium HD. The last good soundcard Creative made

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
I just need something to replace dead home cinema speakers whit dac whit hdmi or 5.1

Yep, once you experience EAX and play those game back without EAX, it felt empty. Still remember how good Doom3 with EAX4, each room sounds different and how I turn my head around when I hear door slamming behind me in F.E.A.R. Since EAX death there isn't a single sound engine that is interesting.

I could say a million things bout this new card but going to comment on some things:
Same crap SoundCore3D DSP (software stuff not hardware like CA20K2)
ESS SabreDAC don't mean whack, some proper Cirrus or BurrBrown DAC like CS4398 or PCM1798 would be better
Discrete output is interesting
G-Luxon crappy capacitor all over the board, they gone backwards
LM4562 opamp on other channel (good)

TLDR: nothing interesting. Stick with my X-Fi Titanium HD. The last good soundcard Creative made

The decision for going with such capacitors is really bizarre. Though, this could be a pre-production photo, because it's hard to even find any other anywhere (even when googling). For example there are a lot of Sound Blaster Z PCB photos with crappy generic looking capacitors where my actual SB Z has Nichicon Gold capacitors all over the card. Granted, mine is Bulk model without any red shield or LED, so they can't hide them underneath...
I really hope final will come with proper high end capacitors.

The decision for going with such capacitors is really bizarre. Though, this could be a pre-production photo, because it's hard to even find any other anywhere (even when googling). For example there are a lot of Sound Blaster Z PCB photos with crappy generic looking capacitors where my actual SB Z has Nichicon Gold capacitors all over the card. Granted, mine is Bulk model without any red shield or LED, so they can't hide them underneath...
I really hope final will come with proper high end capacitors.
I hope you're right, they shouldn't use any crappy caps on this sort of cards

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
If generally speaking, you think listening to music should be done through your PC when quality is a factor, i can only say 'you poor millennial'.

I use my PC for everything else, why not music? And you can have quality PC audio, that is established, unless your definition of "quality" is skewed.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
I use my PC for everything else, why not music? And you can have quality PC audio, that is established, unless your definition of "quality" is skewed.
Besides, you can use the PC just as a pass-through via Optical OUT/Line Out to a quality HIFI Receiver...

I'm not a millennial and my primary form-factor for music is my PC. Granted, I have a Sound Blaster Z card in it with properly configured drivers. But still, that statement makes very wild assumptions.
I think he was referring to frequency response and other factors of sound reproduction quality that a great many "onboard" sound chips fail at. To be fair many of the higher end mobos are now coming with quality sound solutions. Still, I will not give up my SB cards until I see proof that onboards deliver better quality.

And for the record, I'm one of those people that have been using dedicated sound cards since the days when that was the only way to have real sound on a PC. SB16 changed things forever.

Last edited:
System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
that statement makes very wild assumptions
and @Frick

No.. see, first, we have the context.
The context here was a certain user calling all sound cards trash, useless, rip offs, etc and a couple of people responding to him, as if his opinion had any merit at all; which it did not.

Then you have the people to whom this (the context) is relevant, which is important because sadly, it's their mentality denoting the relevancy.. rather than the actual facts.

And then you have me, occasionally feeling like i'm 1745625 years old and so out of patience with people today. This third and last bit you're welcome to criticize of course :)

As to my statement however, i can assure you, all of its points stand.

- Sound cars -do- have a use, still
- The PCB linked is -not- of this card, aka at best a poor troling attempt; coupled with the rest of his remarks and overall tone, you do the math
- USB """cards""" are garbage, sorry to break it to you
- Audiophile and listening from the PC do not go hand in hand, hence my DAC comment

(now if for some reason, money, space, both.. you need listen from your PC, surely the better your gear the better off you will be. You make the best of things as we all. That however does not, not, make you an "audiophile". That is a term used for people with dedicated systems costing tens of thousands [and with the ear to perceive their worth]. Last but not least and i will say this again, you can take my word for it, most DACs passed around in non-sound exclusive site "reviews" are of a quality level equalling that of a good sound card. If this appears as hyperbole to you, thank you for proving my point. Be it because you take such "reviews" seriously, or because your idea of a sound card is strictly something like a gaming-related Sound Blaster).

Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
I ended up buying a Sound Blaster Z this week, because it bugs me having to use something that no longer has driver support. Functionality will continue to get worse over time. Creative still seem to be providing new drivers for the Z (the last one was a few months ago), so that should be alright. I do miss the hardware MIDI synth, though.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I ended up buying a Sound Blaster Z this week, because it bugs me having to use something that no longer has driver support. Functionality will continue to get worse over time. Creative still seem to be providing new drivers for the Z (the last one was a few months ago), so that should be alright. I do miss the hardware MIDI synth, though.
Creative is providing updated support for cards before the z still too. No problems here at all with W10.

The last driver for the Audigy Rx was from 2015, and Daniel_K says that it's highly unlikely Creative will provide any more. Even the Recon3D cards haven't seen a driver update since early 2016.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Soundblaster X-fi Extreme Gamer still has updated W10 drivers though. 2016 is pretty up to date for W10 for X-fi.

I guess they tend to focus on their enthusiast cards more, but that still doesn't explain why they haven't updated the Recon3D drivers since last year. The Audigy Rx was released a year after the Sound Blaster Z, but it was EOL'd by Creative not long after I bought it.

Soundblaster X-fi Extreme Gamer still has updated W10 drivers though. 2016 is pretty up to date for W10 for X-fi.
That is very good in my book, at least you can use latest OS with the card that was released back in 2005, that's over 12 years ago which pretty much ancient history in computer terms.

Doomfrost

The 32bit/384khz is tempting, but I own an X-fi titanium hd that supposedly supports 32bit/192khz just from the drivers that came on the installation disc. Music sounds great as it is. Would there be any reason to switch from my X-fi to AE-5, or do I have the best of the best already?

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
The 32bit/384khz is tempting, but I own an X-fi titanium hd that supposedly supports 32bit/192khz just from the drivers that came on the installation disc. Music sounds great as it is. Would there be any reason to switch from my X-fi to AE-5, or do I have the best of the best already?
Anything more than 24bit/92Khz is just marketing gimmick.