• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Sound Blaster X5

Processor Intel Core i7-10700K
Motherboard MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A chromax.Black
Memory 32GB Ballistix DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 12TB Western Digital Red Plus
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X4, EPOS H6PRO
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX-550
This seems kinda redundant since it doesn't even have an eARC socket so it won't power an atmos surround sound system or atmos soundbar. Most you'll get out of it is 5.1 channels through the SPDIF. No 5.1.2 for upfiring speakers or ceiling speakers. I'd be great for stereo audio but that's about all.

That doesn't seem to be the target use for this product. It's clearly meant for headphones and maybe studio monitors although it totally lacks 3-pin balanced XLR outputs beyond the 4.4 balanced headphone jack. Although it is extremely underpowered compared to any HiFi audiophile competition. It also lacks a remote so I don't think the purpose of this is any home theater use.

larkhon

This device though probably is not what you are looking for and really surround on PC never took off and should be left in it's grave. You're at a desk, you don't need it. You're probably going to be using headphones or stereo monitors.
That's not accurate. 5.1 kits were highly popular in the early 2000's and we haven't had 5.1 jacks on every single motherboard for over 20 years because it never took off. :kookoo:
When dedicated stereo or home cinema sets were replaced by soundbars and bluetooth speakers, PC kits ultimately suffered the same fate. Lack of software support was also a nail on the coffin, I guess.

But a manufacturer like Creative is already selling to a niche market, why not go and give the few remaining loyal users what they need? the market is full of stereo DACs already.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
That and HDMI, and also that those 5.1 pc setups were pretty trash and overpriced compare to passive setups and a receiver.

5.1/7.1 would require an 6/8 channel DAC (typically lower SNR), or Multiple Stereo DACs (3-4) in parallel.

Alternatively, the Super XFI DSP has a 8 channel DAC built in, but no direct output wiring. Supports virtual over stereo on X5.

X4 and previous X3 fit this niche with 8 channel Cirrus 4382 or AKM 4458 both wired to Super XFI DSP in i2c master/slave.

Last edited:
System Name Merc v8
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X F5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X PLUS
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB, &2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B
Case Caselabs Mercury S8
Audio Device(s) Some Schiit with Edifier S351DB
Power Supply Seasonic TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker TH80 SE (Silent Red switches)
Software W11Pro
Mysteriously lacks Super X-Fi technology, Bluetooth tech from 2015 [no aptx or LDAC], no XLR-48V Mic Input : that is not enough for 310 Euro.
Do we have an alternative, EQ is a must for me? I have the asus essence stx, but there is no WIN11 support anymore.
Version 8.1.8.1823 works just fine on my rig.

RealAct

Hi everyone,

I'm Eli, and I'm new to the forum. Let me start by saying I'm no audiophile, and have no super expensive equipment.

I purchased this a few days ago and received it today. I have been playing around with it. I first connected it to my PC via its USB-C cable, my Windows 11 PC immediately recognized it. Then I installed the Creative Software, and it suggested me to install some drivers/firmware, which I did. The audio seems fine, and I'm impressed with the quality of the sound.

However, my PC also has Optical output, when I connect it to my PC via optical, I think the audio is cleaner. But I'm confused if using Optical will prevent me from using the features built into the device. I play audio mainly from my Logitech Z625 2.1 Speaker System, so the PC is connected via optical to the SoundBlaster X5's Optical IN, then the Logitech speaker system is connected via the optical OUT on this device.

So in short, I can hear audio either from what shows as the SoundBlaster audio source in Windows 11 Control Panel (via USB-C connection). Or by selecting Optical Audio Out, which as explained above is also connected to the SoundBlaster X5 DAC device. I really can't make up my mind.

For all the audio experts out there, should I connect this via the USB (I know I still need that for power), or should I select Optical from the Windows Input/Output source settings in Control Panel? Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and advice.
— Eli

System Name Merc v8
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X F5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X PLUS
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB, &2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B
Case Caselabs Mercury S8
Audio Device(s) Some Schiit with Edifier S351DB
Power Supply Seasonic TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker TH80 SE (Silent Red switches)
Software W11Pro
Hi everyone,

I'm Eli, and I'm new to the forum. Let me start by saying I'm no audiophile, and have no super expensive equipment.

I purchased this a few days ago and received it today. I have been playing around with it. I first connected it to my PC via its USB-C cable, my Windows 11 PC immediately recognized it. Then I installed the Creative Software, and it suggested me to install some drivers/firmware, which I did. The audio seems fine, and I'm impressed with the quality of the sound.

However, my PC also has Optical output, when I connect it to my PC via optical, I think the audio is cleaner. But I'm confused if using Optical will prevent me from using the features built into the device. I play audio mainly from my Logitech Z625 2.1 Speaker System, so the PC is connected via optical to the SoundBlaster X5's Optical IN, then the Logitech speaker system is connected via the optical OUT on this device.

So in short, I can hear audio either from what shows as the SoundBlaster audio source in Windows 11 Control Panel (via USB-C connection). Or by selecting Optical Audio Out, which as explained above is also connected to the SoundBlaster X5 DAC device. I really can't make up my mind.

For all the audio experts out there, should I connect this via the USB (I know I still need that for power), or should I select Optical from the Windows Input/Output source settings in Control Panel? Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and advice.
— Eli
edit: Hi Eli,

I recently bought a similar audio device and I only use the usb (in) port and it sounds really good. No distortions, no buzzing, and/or other weird sounds.
However if you hear that optical is cleaner go for that. There's no right or wrong, imo.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
This is one part of my PC setup I am stuck on, I dont like realtek audio quality so still use discrete sound hardware.

Currently I am using an Asus Xonar D2X, which has long been abandoned by ASUS, using Windows 8.1 drivers which have been hacked by a modder to work on windows 10. This card also doesnt have a built in headphone amplifier, so using a cheapo one I brought years ago.

The floppy power connector on the card cannot take much more connection cycles, its almost completely off the card, its prone to interference from rest of PC, this is on top of the software issues.

So I have been eyeing up a USB soundcard, but keep finding flaws with everything I find on the market, this one seems to be the cheap casing and price tag. Also reports of Creative abandoning software support after a short life span when they release new products, didnt look into this too much though.

I think I may have bitten if it was £200 or less. Even then its still pricy but that might have tempted me.

I think I may have bitten if it was £200 or less. Even then its still pricy but that might have tempted me.

There's the X4 that's somewhat similar but much cheaper. This is supposed to have a more powerfull amp but both are only USB bus powered so the difference can't be that high

I can see how optical might be better than USB, you may need to manually set a higher resolution setting for the USB output while the optical might directly assume the highest value. The USB is capable of higher resolution than optical (the toslink standard was left to rot, even though it's fiber (plastic but still fiber) the quality is very much capped) but even then the optical might sound better because it's a dedicated and sinchronized audio connection while USB is a shared serial data connection.

Where I'm confused is why are you putting the X5 in the middle of the Logitech 2.1 speakers if they also use optical? Logitech gives no specs for the DAC they're using so I'm going to assume it's limited to the standard 48khz 16bits low resolution so I'd probably use the analog out on the X5 to feed the speakers

Last edited:
System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
This is one part of my PC setup I am stuck on, I dont like realtek audio quality so still use discrete sound hardware.

Currently I am using an Asus Xonar D2X, which has long been abandoned by ASUS, using Windows 8.1 drivers which have been hacked by a modder to work on windows 10. This card also doesnt have a built in headphone amplifier, so using a cheapo one I brought years ago.

The floppy power connector on the card cannot take much more connection cycles, its almost completely off the card, its prone to interference from rest of PC, this is on top of the software issues.

So I have been eyeing up a USB soundcard, but keep finding flaws with everything I find on the market, this one seems to be the cheap casing and price tag. Also reports of Creative abandoning software support after a short life span when they release new products, didnt look into this too much though.

I have 7 D2X's. I solder the floppy power to Molex connector in place, no more power issues. I use the Uni drivers and they work far better than the Asus ones. The cards even work well in Windows 11. The last D2X I got came from the local Craigslist for $25. It's like new in the original box with everything it originally came with included. All things considered it's the most versatile audio card Asus ever made. I've been using them for years for audio production work.

Last night I gave my Asus Xonar Essence STX it's first test drive. I got it off Ebay for around $75 after taxes last week. While lacking the inputs & outputs the D2X has the audio quality is great with Uni drivers. The Molex power connector on the board is a welcome improvement over the D2X plus there are are more options in the control panel as far as configuration and output goes. The 1/4" headphone jack is welcome as are the different headphone output options as far as impedance. I haven't tried running a line in to it yet for recording purposes so I can't comment on that aspect. If I see another one for close to what I paid for it I'll definitely buy it.

RealAct

edit: Hi Eli,

I recently bought a similar audio device and I only use the usb (in) port and it sounds really good. No distortions, no buzzing, and/or other weird sounds.
However if you hear that optical is cleaner go for that. There's no right or wrong, imo.
Thanks for your help. After tinkering with it more and as per the ideas given by @trsttte below, I think it's all good now through USB.

I can see how optical might be better than USB, you may need to manually set a higher resolution setting for the USB output while the optical might directly assume the highest value. The USB is capable of higher resolution than optical (the toslink standard was left to rot, even though it's fiber (plastic but still fiber) the quality is very much capped) but even then the optical might sound better because it's a dedicated and sinchronized audio connection while USB is a shared serial data connection.

Where I'm confused is why are you putting the X5 in the middle of the Logitech 2.1 speakers if they also use optical? Logitech gives no specs for the DAC they're using so I'm going to assume it's limited to the standard 48khz 16bits low resolution so I'd probably use the analog out on the X5 to feed the speakers

Thanks, I have played with it more since I posted, and I think it's all good now through USB, but I have to give it some more testing. I didn't know about that Optical limitation with bandwidth, thanks. The reason I have Optical through the SoundBlaster X5 is that I also run a KVM switch to be able to run and control two computes using the same devices such as keyboard/mouse/Mic/Camera etc. So this way the SoundBlaster X5 can be utilized on two computers and not just one. This is the KVM switch I use on my setup. The USB-C connector on the SoundBlaster is connected to the KVM switch, not directly to my main computer.

That way I can hear audio from both computers when using either one regardless of using either Optical or USB audio with the SoundBlaster.

Cheers!

Last edited:

RealAct

Yeah. Here's the complete list:

View attachment 283891
Sorry for my ignorance. New to all the audio stuff. Should one pick the highest available option such as 32 bit, 384000 Hz if available or is there something else to have into consideration? My Windows sound settings show exactly what's on your screenshot.
Thanks in advance.

Sorry for my ignorance. New to all the audio stuff. Should one pick the highest available option such as 32 bit, 384000 Hz if available or is there something else to have into consideration? My Windows sound settings show exactly what's on your screenshot.
Thanks in advance.

You don't need over 24/96. Which is the highest standard for content. 192/24 exist, but.. niche recordings.

There are plenty of dongles using the same DAC setup, but pushing 32/768khz these days. Power is obviously higher on this unit since it can use 5v1 power via usb 3.12x2 or USB wall plug.

Windows has a 384Khz limit, but its natively 32 Float.. which ends up around 24 bit regardless (IIRC). Current version of Mac is 100% 32F. 32 bit is being upscaled on both content/OS level via controller/dac.

Playback doesn't really need over 24 bit as its more or less 14x DB limitation. The jump from 16 bit is logical due to 96db limit.

Last edited:
System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
You don't need over 24/96. Which is the highest standard for content. 192/24 exist, but.. niche recordings.

There are plenty of dongles using the same DAC setup, but pushing 32/768khz these days. Power is obviously higher on this unit since it can use 5v1 power via usb 3.12x2 or USB wall plug.

Windows has a 384Khz limit, but its natively 32 Float.. which ends up around 24 bit regardless (IIRC). Current version of Mac is 100% 32F. 32 bit is being upscaled on both content/OS level via controller/dac.

Playback doesn't really need over 24 bit as its more or less 14x DB limitation. The jump from 16 bit is logical due to 96db limit.
I do all of my audio production at 24/96 and even then finalize & master at 24/48. Anything higher that that only results in huge files far beyond what any human can hear differences between. I did broadcast audio along with production work for two record companies for years before I retired. I go back to the days of tape splicing for editing. Using ridiculous bit depths and frequencies is nothing but a waste of time and space. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I do all of my audio production at 24/96 and even then finalize & master at 24/48. Anything higher that that only results in huge files far beyond what any human can hear differences between. I did broadcast audio along with production work for two record companies for years before I retired. I go back to the days of tape splicing for editing. Using ridiculous bit depths and frequencies is nothing but a waste of time and space. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Pretty much what I wrote.

Edit:

Many pro studios do production @ 192khz and master at 96khz and below. A lot of the premium Blue ray movies have master audio files @ 24/96khz.

48khz = 24khz.. A general human can hear up to around 17-18khz at best, granted a high end physical headphone driver can produce up to 40-50 khz range... which is only in the 88-96khz playback range.

Useless yes, but some audiophiles argue 1:1 continuity.. I'm not going into that debate as I take a neutral stance.

Honestly even 44.1k is more than "enough". = 22khz.

24 bit for obvious boost over 16 bit limitation = 96dB.. 24 bit is up to ear shattering 14x dB

32 bit playback is "useless" when it comes to 1/0s.. Premium high end DAC's can't even hit 14x dB in absolute spec.

The only 32 BIT advantage in audio is Float recording as you don't need to adjust levels.. Good for normal people podcasting/vloging etc.

Edit 2:

A DAC may gain a few dB SNR at higher playback settings.. (regardless of content) so you can technically see that as an advantage.. YMMV based on hardware.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I wrote.

Edit:

Many pro studios do production @ 192khz and master at 96khz and below. A lot of the premium Blue ray movies have master audio files @ 24/96khz.

48khz = 24khz.. A general human can hear up to around 17-18khz at best, granted a high end physical headphone driver can produce up to 40-50 khz range... which is only in the 88-96khz playback range.

Useless yes, but some audiophiles argue 1:1 continuity.. I'm not going into that debate as I take a neutral stance.

Honestly even 44.1k is more than "enough". = 22khz.

24 bit for obvious boost over 16 bit limitation = 96dB.. 24 bit is up to ear shattering 14x dB

32 bit playback is "useless" when it comes to 1/0s.. Premium high end DAC's can't even hit 14x dB in absolute spec.

The only 32 BIT advantage in audio is Float recording as you don't need to adjust levels.. Good for normal people podcasting/vloging etc.

Edit 2:

A DAC may gain a few dB SNR at higher playback settings.. (regardless of content) so you can technically see that as an advantage.. YMMV based on hardware.

You're ignoring a big reason why higher resolution is used: aliasing artifacts. If you sample at 48kHz, anything above 24kHz will get aliased and even 24kHz will only get 2 samples per period - not a great way to reconstruct a waveform. (I know anti aliasing filters and yada yada yada). Setting an higher resolution on windows/dac even without any source material at that resolution can also do different things like introduce quantization noise or smooth over this same noise with more or less dithering or whatever, ultimately use whatever sounds better on your setup.

44.1kHz was the standard for audio CDs, but with those being a rarity I believe everythings is getting the 48kHz movie standard treatment. 17kHz is usually only detected by younger people, but it varies a lot so the hearing range is usually considered 20-20kHz.

Can people hear the difference? I don't know, some sure say so, I certainly can't. I tend to set windows as high as I can, but I'm using bluetooth headphones that only do 44.1kHz 16bit and I don't really hear any difference (vs plugging this same headphones wired at 96kHz 24bit for example).

RealAct

Thanks @jaszy, @bobbybluz and @trsttte for your input. It is really appreciated. I think I had read somewhere that those higher settings were practically useless, but I wanted to make sure. However, what happens if you set the Windows source at that rate? Am I making the operating system and DAC just do extra work for nothing?

Before you guys replied I had the Windows settings for the SoundBlaster X5 set at maximum which is 32 bit, 384000 Hz, and it would show like that on the DAC's display. I'm wondering though, If there's no benefit to that, then why is something like that included in the configurations? Just trying to learn.

I purchased the SENNHEISER HD 660 S headphones and when I listen with it, I honestly cannot tell any difference when the setting is high either, so I know you guys are on point here.

Thanks again.