• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Sound Blaster X5

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
The Creative Sound Blaster X5 is, in many ways, the company's most ambitious external sound card to date. It's aimed at demanding audio enthusiasts who want excellent sound performance and rich software features in a single unit.

Show full review

Mysteriously lacks Super X-Fi technology, Bluetooth tech from 2015 [no aptx or LDAC], no XLR-48V Mic Input : that is not enough for 310 Euro.
Do we have an alternative, EQ is a must for me? I have the asus essence stx, but there is no WIN11 support anymore.

System Name Uzuki Toune
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (ASUS PBO 90C Mode)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Frostspirit 140 White V3 ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR6000 CL36 Kingston (EXPO)(16GBx2)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050TI
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Crucial P2 + 480GB Samsung Evo 850 + 480GB Kingston A400
Display(s) Dell U2723QE + Philips 221V8 (Portrait)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-FI Forte + Onboard Realtek 4080 -> Creative Gigaworks T40II
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 (Work) & G103 (Play)
Keyboard iRocks K71M
Software Windows 11 Professional
This is really disappointing and misleading at the same time. Nowhere on the website product page, the spec sheet on the website or the manual says that it only supports SBC on its bluetooth. What's worse is this quote from their product page:

Go wireless with Sound Blaster X5? Not a problem. The USB DAC sports a Bluetooth receiver so you can stream high-quality audio from your mobile devices, Windows PC, or Mac to Sound Blaster X5 directly.
At the back of the Sound Blaster X5, there is a dedicated USB-A host audio port, for you to connect to a wireless audio transmitter such as the Creative BT-W4 or Creative BT-W3 - so you can play high-definition audio such as aptX Adaptive (BT-W4), aptX HD(BT-W3) wirelessly to your Bluetooth headset

The fact they use the sentence "stream high-quality audio" combined with a following sentence saying that high (definition) quality audio = aptx when using their usb bluetooth audio transmitters imply that their receiver supports aptx, because maths! High quality audio = High definition audio = aptx.
Since there is no other indication of what codec their bluetooth receiver supports, most people might believe the above actually.

The only way potential customers would find out that SBC is the only codec is by reading this review.

Also I have a feeling that the current hardware that Creative uses for processing Super X-Fi is limited to 192Khz, and in order for them to support 384Khz output requires a different solution that is not compatible with their Super X-Fi.

System Name JUV3
Processor Intel Core i5 9400F
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified K
Cooling NoFan CR-95C Copper
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070
Storage WD_Black SN750
Display(s) AOC AGON AG273QX
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro+ with Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum Fanless
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Ultralight
Keyboard Durgod Taurus K320 with Cherry Silent Red switches
I can't think of any other hardware company sticking to a brand for 34 years (the Sound Blaster 1.0 was 1989). "Pentium" was close at 29 years, but Intel killed the brand this year.

I was never a fan of Creative, but I admit that the Sound Blaster 16 was a big deal in the 90s.

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
I can't think of any other hardware company sticking to a brand for 34 years (the Sound Blaster 1.0 was 1989). "Pentium" was close at 29 years, but Intel killed the brand this year.

I was never a fan of Creative, but I admit that the Sound Blaster 16 was a big deal in the 90s.

I worshiped my Audigy 2 ZS until the day I stopped using Windows XP.

I also really liked the X-Fi HD USB sound card, but the drivers were bad and I was getting random clicks and pops on some configurations. The generic Microsoft drivers were fine.

I doubt I will ever go back to Creative, though. I think the company has lost its way a long time ago.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

Xebec

What is the alternative for someone who wants a high-ish quality external sound card like this, but also with the ability to output to 5.1 surround (via RCA/analog)?

I'd like to replace my older internal Soundblaster with something like this, but need the RCA jacks..

This seems kinda redundant since it doesn't even have an eARC socket so it won't power an atmos surround sound system or atmos soundbar. Most you'll get out of it is 5.1 channels through the SPDIF. No 5.1.2 for upfiring speakers or ceiling speakers. I'd be great for stereo audio but that's about all.

Here in SG the Sound Blaster X5 is priced at SGD$369.
The main issue is not only the cheap build but at that price I can get a proper sound interface or mixer.
The only issue I had is since it is price so expensive, is it doesn't offer any XLR balanced or unbalanced output
which most sound interface at that price will offer.

Even though Sound Blaster products sound good but the driver are lackluster especially on Windows 10.
Who knows when the driver will start to bug out compare with Realtek audio codec which are more
stable on Win 10.

Creative have not developed any speaker in recent years, probably they should consider developing a speaker with build in DAC
than this. Shockingly they still mention the crappy Creative inspire speaker in the connection layout, either they don't have
plans for new speaker or they still think Inspire speakers are the best.

Creative inspire speakers feel like a cheap toy and there's a issue that the subwoofer will distort if you max out the bass knob.
What is lacking in current PC market is for someone to come out with a decent speaker that has build in DAC.
If Creative were to do a 2.1 speaker or any speaker with subwoofer, please don't cheap out on the subwoofer.

Reinforced the subwoofer so it can handle stronger bass output, if anyone open up a Creative inspire subwoofer like I did.
You be shock that despite the outside looks solid but the inside has a very thin plywood.

Last edited:
What is the alternative for someone who wants a high-ish quality external sound card like this, but also with the ability to output to 5.1 surround (via RCA/analog)?

I'd like to replace my older internal Soundblaster with something like this, but need the RCA jacks..

You have optical or SPIDIF right? Buy a reciever problem solved.
This seems kinda redundant since it doesn't even have an eARC socket so it won't power an atmos surround sound system or atmos soundbar. Most you'll get out of it is 5.1 channels through the SPDIF. No 5.1.2 for upfiring speakers or ceiling speakers. I'd be great for stereo audio but that's about all.

This is an odd comment to make. If you have a true atmos system you already have a reciever to run the bloody mess. If it's a soundbar that sucker is going straight through it's own ports.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
Mysteriously lacks Super X-Fi technology, Bluetooth tech from 2015 [no aptx or LDAC], no XLR-48V Mic Input : that is not enough for 310 Euro.
Do we have an alternative, EQ is a must for me? I have the asus essence stx, but there is no WIN11 support anymore.

The Creative Website wants you to buy their Bluetooth dongle & plug it into the USB port on the DAC (USB Host) port for Modern Bluetooth, its a bit weird.

Its also weird that it has no SuperXfi. Whilst I don't use it for music on my X4, I do use the Battlemode which is pretty good for gaming. If the X5 had SXfi, I would have upgraded my X4.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Dear Lord, they must have been sleeping for the last 10+ years, have mercy on them. $300, what a joke.

What a waste of resources... Audient iD14 MKII will run circles around this for $250. And it can drive SM7-B. If you want good audio go with entry-level professional audio interfaces.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I miss my claro +

If only my mobo had a pci slot..............

Xebec

You have optical or SPIDIF right? Buy a reciever problem solved.
I do but I always avoided TOSLINK because it was fairly limited in bandwidth compared to analog.. at least on the previous sound blasters I've owned. Plus the DAC on these products are probably better than that of my Onkyo receivers.

In the case of X5 I can't tell if it supports the full 32-bit / 384 khz PCM over analog and optical or just one of the two..

I'm open to learning more on this though..

Processor intel 12700k
Motherboard asus
Cooling noctua d15s
Memory 64gb
Video Card(s) 4090
Storage 4tb m.2
Display(s) 27" 1440p 240hz oled
Case fractal define s
Audio Device(s) minidsp shd studio and hifi speakers
Software windows 11
creative trying to stay relevant and fails, for cheaper options just get a USB headphone, with mic if you need that. then you use the free EQ apo for proper equalisation or dsp.
if you want better then got straight to a normal integrated amplifier, those have dac, amp and volume control built in. you can add any type of speaker to that.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
No XLR input?

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Still waiting for them to release a new internal soundcard.

I'm still using the Sound Blaster ZxR from 2013, which was their flagship at the time. While the AE-9 would be an upgrade it sadly comes with a ACM for the desk, which is something i don't want.

I do but I always avoided TOSLINK because it was fairly limited in bandwidth compared to analog.. at least on the previous sound blasters I've owned. Plus the DAC on these products are probably better than that of my Onkyo receivers.

In the case of X5 I can't tell if it supports the full 32-bit / 384 khz PCM over analog and optical or just one of the two..

I'm open to learning more on this though..

TOSLINK is just going to be limited thats why we got USB, HDMI, and OPTICAL to work with. Any reciever halfway worth the cash should have all of these. Checks notes on mine has multiple of all.

This device though probably is not what you are looking for and really surround on PC never took off and should be left in it's grave. You're at a desk, you don't need it. You're probably going to be using headphones or stereo monitors. And anybody who gives two shits about audio for their TV is not using a damn PC for movies, games, or anything. It's just an odd whackball edge case. PC DACs aren't better. They are generally worse than a true audio product which is why real audio costs more.

I doubt the DAC is better from Creative. Sure, Creative is one of the few remaining companies that makes their own DACs and DSPs and that's one of the reasons they are still around despite their antics but they aren't better than say AKM, ESS, Cirus Logic, Ti, or any of the slew of the companies that shit out high end DACs that one can get in phone dongles of all things now. This is leaving out FPGA solutions or straight R2R ladder solutions, which tend to clobber straight DACs. Driverless audio DACs is the new thing.
Still waiting for them to release a new internal soundcard.

I'm still using the Sound Blaster ZxR from 2013, which was their flagship at the time. While the AE-9 would be an upgrade it sadly comes with a ACM for the desk, which is something i don't want.

Those are sort of dead. Tons of reasons (too large GPUs, Windows, PCI-E, and on and on) things are just external now and it's better for it. I do miss them, but that's dead.

Xebec

TOSLINK is just going to be limited thats why we got USB, HDMI, and OPTICAL to work with. Any reciever halfway worth the cash should have all of these. Checks notes on mine has multiple of all.

This device though probably is not what you are looking for and really surround on PC never took off and should be left in it's grave. You're at a desk, you don't need it. You're probably going to be using headphones or stereo monitors. And anybody who gives two shits about audio for their TV is not using a damn PC for movies, games, or anything. It's just an odd whackball edge case. PC DACs aren't better. They are generally worse than a true audio product which is why real audio costs more.

I doubt the DAC is better from Creative. Sure, Creative is one of the few remaining companies that makes their own DACs and DSPs and that's one of the reasons they are still around despite their antics but they aren't better than say AKM, ESS, Cirus Logic, Ti, or any of the slew of the companies that shit out high end DACs that one can get in phone dongles of all things now. This is leaving out FPGA solutions or straight R2R ladder solutions, which tend to clobber straight DACs. Driverless audio DACs is the new thing.

This PC is pretty multipurpose - and "is our TV" - so we do watch occasional movies on it. I also play a variety of games where the surround sound comes in quite helpful for figuring out where things are. I've never been particularly great at that with stereo speakers or even really good headphones, especially for 'above and below' data, which 5 channel seems to at least give me some chance of figuring out. (FWIW - The PC monitor is 38" 3840x1600 - so same viewing space for 2.35:1 movies that a ~ 50" 16:9 screen would provide).

I do have an older receiver at this point, so it's TOSLINK/Optical that may not support even full 24-bit/192 KHz, and no USB or HDMI. (I do have another receiver in the house that *might* have HDMI, I need to check.. )

I'm not necessarily looking for the highest end audio but I don't mind spending some money to get something pretty good. I'm sure some will laugh - but my headphone of choice is an old Sennheiser HD 600 for when I am unable to use the surround setup (occasional multiplayer gaming). I am casually looking at external stuff now as I may need to free up a slot in this PC for 10g Ethernet down the road.

That said I've been a Creative user since the late 80s, and there was quite a long time into the 2000s that other options had serious drawbacks. Mid-2000s I liked the benchmarks that showed creative labs cards reduced CPU usage by a few % during games which kinda kept me on that train a bit longer. I have a Z/Zx SB card now - and it's working well, but as usual with Creative, there is driver wonkiness in Windows 11 I've never been able to solve. There was also a long time that USB audio solutions had serious drawbacks (not to mention USB's massive overhead compared to PCI/PCI Express - at least relatively speaking, always put me off).

Re: DACs - that is interesting re: Creative and the other companies.

I do appreciate your perspective.

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?

This may be true for the majority, but it is a generalization.

I've been using TVs as a monitor since 2008. Sitting on a couch, with a self-built table on wheels for my keyboard, mouse and other stuff. I've also been using A/V receivers since 2008.
Surround sound has always been fine on PC. But in the past you needed a sound card with analog outputs and speakers with equivalent inputs. Dolby Digital Live encoding was not common, and it degraded sound quality.
But these days you get PCM 7.1 audio over HDMI, which makes connecting a PC to your home theater very convenient.

I still use a DAC for headphones, though. Very happy with my FiiO.

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
System Name UNDERVOLTED (UV) silenced, 135W limited, high energy efficient PC
Processor Intel i5-10400F undervolt
Motherboard MSI B460 Tomahawk
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 rev.B @ 620RPM
Memory Kingston HyperX Predator 3000 4x4GB UV
Video Card(s) Gainward GTX 1060 6GB Phoenix UV 775mV@1695MHz, 54% TDP (65 Watt) LIMIT
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB, 2x500GB 2.5" SSHD Raid, 1TB 2.5" SSHD, BluRay writer
Display(s) Acer XV252QZ @ 240Hz
Case Logic Concept K3 (Smallest Full ATX/ATX PSU/ODD case ever..)
Audio Device(s) Panasonic Clip-On, Philips SHP6000, HP Pavilion headset 400, Genius 1250X, Sandstrøm Hercules
Power Supply Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 500W CM
Mouse Logitech G102 & SteelSeries Rival 300 & senior Microsoft IMO 1.1A
Keyboard RAPOO VPRO 500, Microsoft All-In-One Keyboard, Cougar 300K
Software Windows 10 Home x64 Retail
Benchmark Scores More than enough Fire Strike: 3dmark.com/fs/28356598 Time Spy: 3dmark.com/spy/30561283
Dear Lord, they must have been sleeping for the last 10+ years, have mercy on them. $300, what a joke.
300USD for a DAC and 300mW amplifier + software.... Creative is lost their market for years, and I do not see what is their plan... I whould buy a good internal/USB soundcard that better than on-board solutions, but they are selling them for a price of MOBO. fckN insane.