• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Sound Blaster Z Sound Card

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I upgraded from my onboard realtech 892 to an asus xonar dg for $10. I was super impressed by how much better everything sounded. I can't imagine these expensive sound cards to be that much better... are they? I think I would have to hear it to believe it.

For stereo audio it doesn't matter. All you need is good raw audio performance (basically good DAC's and as little interference).

Gaming however is a different thing. I used to have XONAR Essence STX which was by specs absolutelly fantastic soundcard. Music and movies were great, but 3D sound positioning in games was horrible. I couldn't tell in UT2004 where the enemies are, what was above me was on the same level as me or vice versa, couldn't hear rockets properly and it all sounded like a horrible mess. Same for CS:S. I was so pissed i bought the super expensive X-Fi Forte at that time and never looked back. It works so well i got accused of wallhacking several times and all i did was hear enemies making noises on the maps. And since X-Fi chip renders sound position so well on speakers or headphones you can precisely pinpoint enemies. And without any silly Scout modes.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
For stereo audio it doesn't matter. All you need is good raw audio performance (basically good DAC's and as little interference).

Gaming however is a different thing. I used to have XONAR Essence STX which was by specs absolutelly fantastic soundcard. Music and movies were great, but 3D sound positioning in games was horrible. I couldn't tell in UT2004 where the enemies are, what was above me was on the same level as me or vice versa, couldn't hear rockets properly and it all sounded like a horrible mess. Same for CS:S. I was so pissed i bought the super expensive X-Fi Forte at that time and never looked back. It works so well i got accused of wallhacking several times and all i did was hear enemies making noises on the maps. And since X-Fi chip renders sound position so well on speakers or headphones you can precisely pinpoint enemies. And without any silly Scout modes.

I just can not imagine a sound card doing that. Keyword imagine.

Trust me, it can. Enhanced HRTF algorithms used by Sound Blaster cards. The way how soundcard renders positional audio. The tech introduced with X-Fi chips was the Elevation filter and MacroFX which also takes into account height of the sound and distance from the head. Try listening something above you and the same sound below you (in real life). It sounds different. Same applies when sound is behind you. And MacroFX made massive difference for objects very close to the listener. Like rockets flying pat your head or cars overtaking you... And thats where Sound Blaster cards simply shine.

I don't know how exactly they do it but they do it incredibly well. And i'm afraid of losing that with never cards because that would just plain suck. Only onboard that came close was the nForce MCP years ago. Realtek and ADI Soundmax was sort of ok but not the same by far.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
Trust me, it can. Enhanced HRTF algorithms used by Sound Blaster cards. The way how soundcard renders positional audio. The tech introduced with X-Fi chips was the Elevation filter and MacroFX which also takes into account height of the sound and distance from the head. Try listening something above you and the same sound below you (in real life). It sounds different. Same applies when sound is behind you. And MacroFX made massive difference for objects very close to the listener. Like rockets flying pat your head or cars overtaking you... And thats where Sound Blaster cards simply shine.

I don't know how exactly they do it but they do it incredibly well. And i'm afraid of losing that with never cards because that would just plain suck. Only onboard that came close was the nForce MCP years ago. Realtek and ADI Soundmax was sort of ok but not the same by far.

On windows 7?

System Name ARiA
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2070 Super FE
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (1TB), 850 EVO SATA (500GB), WD Ultrastar (6TB)
Display(s) Asus VG279 144 Hz IPS
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Chord Hugo 2 to lots of headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime+ 850W Gold
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Software Windows 10 Pro
I do that with my STAX and Essence ST without any "enhancement". Really depends on the headphone end for positioning.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
It seems a stand alone sound card still has some gain left in it. Any chance we could get a review of the ZxR?

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint

This was what surprised me most when i first used my X-Fi Titanium, the positional audio was awesome, then switched to a Titanium HD and i was shocked, it is the best of both worlds, positional audio + awesome sound quality, i really love this sound card.

I would like that daughter board on the ZxR to have 5.1 or 7.1 analog connections, it's the only reason i have a XONAR DX along the Titanium HD, once you get used to sound cards the onboard sounds like crap.

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
I agree with RejZoR that it'd be nice to get more detailed sound card reviews. I wish the review did a comparison of the Z-series with the older Recon3D sound cards. It would show how much (or how little) the new sound cards have progressed.

The features are still a bit lean since the X-Fi days, but that's not entirely Creative's fault (they're still responsible for a lot; they killed Aureal, their last major competitor, and then didn't much to drive the PC audio market). The rest of the blame goes to Microsoft for dropping support for hardware audio acceleration in Vista (7 followed suit). That effectively finished off audio in PC gaming. I've read conflicting reports that Windows 8 is restoring it. Anyone know if this is true?

For those interested in reading up more on PC audio, here's an informative link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/

I bought a Sound Blaster Z (base model) off Amazon. I'm coming from a Titanium X-Fi that's had some driver issues and popping. I'll post back with my findings later this weekend.

I agree with RejZoR that it'd be nice to get more detailed sound card reviews. I wish the review did a comparison of the Z-series with the older Recon3D sound cards. It would show how much (or how little) the new sound cards have progressed.

The features are still a bit lean since the X-Fi days, but that's not entirely Creative's fault (they're still responsible for a lot; they killed Aureal, their last major competitor, and then didn't much to drive the PC audio market). The rest of the blame goes to Microsoft for dropping support for hardware audio acceleration in Vista (7 followed suit). That effectively finished off audio in PC gaming. I've read conflicting reports that Windows 8 is restoring it. Anyone know if this is true?

For those interested in reading up more on PC audio, here's an informative link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/

Thats not true. WinVista and Win7 still have fully functional HW audio. It's just that no one seems to give a flying fart about it for reasons unknown.

Few major problems:

- EAX not being marketed and pushed anymore by Creative even though it's a fantastic technology
- OpenAL was left to rot because of the above reason
- soundcards are now going backwards, i mean some quasi quad core processor and all it does is process some stupid voices!? C'mon, every CPU can do that

I really miss the days when nearly every game released had EAX. And those were the good days of crawling skin and shivers up our spines when we were listening to in-game sounds.
Today, it's all based on some lame ass pathetic software engines that have nearly zero audio realism. With EAX you at least knew when you were in the freakin sewers and when you were in a cave or a carpeted room and all connected with excellent 3D sound positioning. Today they just add some pathetic filters that simulate that and they all sound like absolute crap. Whoever played System Shock 2 with initial EAX versions knows what i'm talking about. Or NFS3 from 1998. The EAX made driving through tunnels a real joy where you could listen to a howling engine noise. Or the incredible storm thunder. I still can' forget the experience of driving Lamborghini Diablo through Lost Canyon track at night and with rain. Constant rain and water sound under my wheels and an incredible thunder with lightnings. Experience that didn't happen ever again with newer NFS games even though they all had better graphics. Or the Half-Life 1. I was playing Black Mesa Source not long ago and even though graphics were buffed, it lacked the awesome sound experience that i had back in the 1999 with my Sound Blaster Live!. And for me, game with shitty sound is like a game played on lowest graphic settings for most of you.

It's really sad how everything is going for fancy visuals but no one is giving a damn about the sound. Someone at Creative would need 2 hours of work to point out the difference in side by side comparison examples. And trust me, ppl would want that.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Hmmm, is it worth replacing my STX with one of these I wonder.

Definitely not. The STX is equally capable although it is missing some of the gaming related features of the SBZ.

Sound quality wise they are close but the headphone amplifier on the STX is better even though it has a high output impedance. Plus the STX has adjustable gain which is a very neat feature.

If you're a gamer, then anytime. I used to have STX and it was absolute crap for gaming. That GX2 or whatever it was was useless. Either it BSOD-ed the game or it was all messed up. And 3D sound positioning was very bad along with buggy ASUS drivers that were no frequent than Creative ones in terms of releases.

Then again, you can take ZxG and you basically get best of both worlds, making it a better option. Only downside really is the price...

Or maybe wait for Auzentech to release their Core3D based soundcard with high end components. Thats also one of the options.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
the thing is, I dont exactly use the headphones amp on my STX anyway, and i doubt I ever will.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well I decided to order one of these anyway, I hope its better then the DS3D GX mode that Asus offers. If i dont like it I can always get a refund.

my STX might be great but I really dont need the headphone amp on it and even the unified drivers on it arent working so great as they were before.

hopefully this will put an end to audio clipping, crashing and audio anomalies in older EAX titles.

I'll be sure to let you guys know what i think

So, I had a chance to play Borderlands 2 and watch a few movies (tv-stereo and DTS movies).

I got the base model. I don't need the highest-end inputs, and the ACM is redundant for me.

I went from a Titanium X-Fi PCI-E to this. I was expecting to have buyer's remorse, but nope.

Popping is gone, no driver issues (yet), and sound with SBX OFF is actually quite a bit clearer than my old X-Fi. Borderlands 2 has a sharper sound to it, with sound effects coming through clearer on my headphones and my Z5500's.

I have my headphones hooked up at the same time as my Z5500's. WHY ON EARTH WASN'T THIS A FEATURE ON ALL OF MY SOUND CARDS BEFORE!? I can easily switch from headphones to speakers and back with just three mouse clicks. Very cool.

In the end I spent $100 on a soundcard. Very well worth the upgrade. I really thought sound couldn't get better, but I was wrong.

I'll be testing out BF2 and a few older games that need OpenAL,etc. and edit the post.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
If anyone remembers the days of Aureal Vortex and Creative competition knows what i mean. And the sound evolution was the greatest back then up to EAX 4.0 when it pretty much stopped dead. Ppl would be more into all thi if someone actually cared about it. But it seems like Creative doesn't give a damn either. For no reason, EAX was imo one of the most ground breaking things in gaming audio. System Shock 2, Thief and NFS3 without EAX wouldn't even nearly be what they were with it. A skin crawling symphony to the ears.

Oh yes, I remember not the days of Aureal, Sensaura 3D or EAX wars, but I also remember very clearly the days when Creative SB 16 was introduced. It was a revelation for games and music, something more like 3Dfx was for 3D video cards. The sound was so much good compared to existing crappy sound cards back then. Then a couple of years later when the first Unreal was released, I remember it playing it on a Voodoo2 video addon card with Aureal 2 sound card, and a brand new 4.1 sound set, and it was....well, f*king unreal!!! Is unbelievable how games nowadays sound so MUCH WORST than games more then 10 years ago. I pity the young gamers of our time, they didn't experience what true 3D sound really means.:ohwell:

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I noticed there's no DPC latency readings (idle, in use, and equalizer enabled).

This is the most important if you're trying to game (crap drivers will make gaming impossible).

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
If anyone remembers the days of Aureal Vortex and Creative competition knows what i mean.
I also remember the days of Aureal and Creative. Aureal laid down a good ass whooping on creative for a while. I just finished a win98 build for myself and used one of the Vortex 2 Sq2500 soundcards I have for it. The sound in games is truly amazing. :toast:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
well.... My Creative Z Arrived, fucking peice of junk. would not output any audio to the right channel in analogue.

Didnt bother trying DDL/digitalout as i didnt buy the card for that purpose.

Returning the card in the morning, hopefully I'll have one before the weekend is over.

System Name "Da Krawnik Six Hunnit"
Processor Intel i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 EVO (B3)
Cooling H100i w/2x Bitfenix Spectre Pros + Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 1x 200mm + 1x 120mm
Memory Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 @ 1491MHz (Actual Boost) / 7.6GHz
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 2x WD Green 2TB + 1x WD Green 1TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430T 144Hz
Case Corsair 600T w/full custom 1/2" acrylic side panel
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD (laser)
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Couldn't care less about benchmark scores.
I owned an Audigy MP3+ PCI and vowed it would be my last Creative card. Several years later I was in Circuit City when they were closing the doors and against my better judgement picked up an X-Fi Titanium Fatality. I have since renewed my vow that this will be my last Creative soundcard. I still believe that they make decent hardware but their software is pure CRAP.

Pro version driver and software work fine here.

1 - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro driver v2.17.0008
2 - Creative Console Launcher 2.61.35

System Name "Da Krawnik Six Hunnit"
Processor Intel i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 EVO (B3)
Cooling H100i w/2x Bitfenix Spectre Pros + Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 1x 200mm + 1x 120mm
Memory Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 @ 1491MHz (Actual Boost) / 7.6GHz
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 2x WD Green 2TB + 1x WD Green 1TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430T 144Hz
Case Corsair 600T w/full custom 1/2" acrylic side panel
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD (laser)
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Couldn't care less about benchmark scores.
Is unbelievable how games nowadays sound so MUCH WORST than games more then 10 years ago. I pity the young gamers of our time, they didn't experience what true 3D sound really means.:ohwell:

LMAO. If you say so. Meanwhile in Battlefield 3 (my main game of choice) with a 5.1 setup...

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Pro version driver and software work fine here.

1 - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro driver v2.17.0008
2 - Creative Console Launcher 2.61.35

I would just use PAX drivers.

LMAO. If you say so. Meanwhile in Battlefield 3 (my main game of choice) with a 5.1 setup...

You know, having 5.1 setting means absolutely nothing. I could stick 20.2 speaker setup back in 2001, so it would be 4 times better than your 5.1. Or would it?

I've played BF3 and it wasn't anything special. Sound wasn't bad but compared to System Shock 2 sound, not comparable by a mile. All the environment effects sound too synthetic in modern games and that ruins everything where in older ones with proper EAX support, it was just amazing.